Now THIS is a truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now THIS is a truck

id like to see this old detroit dynoed on a chassis dyno.. its straight nasty. ive seen it a couple times, straight pipes, dry sump oil system, custom built everything. 16 ply steer tires at all positions, every nut, bolt, you name it, its shiny or painted, or plated somehow..kind of thing you build when youve got millions just molding under your mattress i guess..it came to my work a few times and set up shop, its EVIL sounding. i was at a fireworks show a mile from where it was parked, the driver started it and revved it up. sounded like the cars racing at the fairgrounds, up close sounds like F1 cars racing in its exhaust pipes. best to have ear protection..oh, i forgot, its a 16v detroit diesel and it cruises the highways..

Comment

cool.

Comment

That one would be fun to dyno! Sure is pretty, too. Is it a mountain rig? Usually, that's what the big displacement ones are used for - just not fuel-efficient enough if you're pulling on flat ground.

Dan

Comment

the man owns werner enterprises. hes filthy rich, i dont think fuel mileage is a concern..word is its built on a cement mixer frame, stretched, of course, and its overweight pretty much as is. it pulls a NO ZONE trailer, and generally has the werner enterprises dragster in the back. they take it to shows, and its out on the 4th of july showing off at different places with recruiting stuff for drivers..the driver is really nice, he keeps it clean as heck, and starts it and revs the hell out of it seemingly every hour on the hour, for crowds that this beast draws..

this truck and the other show trucks that werner own have some rumors surrounding them.. massive speeding tickets, that sort of thing. the story gets better each time, its in a different state each time, and the speed goes up every time i hear it..its a trucker thing, to embellish a bit, so i let em.. i will say this, if the guy driving it wanted to make tracks, im pretty sure that machine could definately make the world's scariest police chases highlight reel for the next 20+ years....easily.. i asked the driver about the rumors about it being impounded, ticketed, towed, chased at any time... he refused to comment, except to say the concern is for the tires when you get to really going fast..oh, and he sh*t talks on the CFI red racer, claims his truck is faster. the red racer owns most semi truck records, or did at one time. land speed, pikes peak, drag racing.. anything that 2500 horsepower would be good for. truckers, they are always full of it..

Comment

keeping a truck of that size clean takes real commitment.

Comment

It isn't easy...I've wheeled a couple of "large rides", and it is a never-ending deal.

I've always been a nit-picker for detail and cleanliness with the trucks I've driven, but there's folks out there that would make me look like....well, like the average Werner driver(and that ain't good).

Comment

this would be a cool 4x4 with twin - turbo cummins'

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                  Close, but no. What started life as a Steyr 12M18, is now the Stewart and Stevenson "Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles". 330-hp Cat diesel, 7-gear auto, I will attest I got one of these heavy mothers, with a 4-ton box-'o-crap strapped to the back, up to 100+mph my last tour over here.
                  I would love to own one of the civi ones, dual axle, converted to a motor home. But, I would have to scrub off ANYTHING that said "Bad Boy Muscle Truck". If that ain't the gayest vehicle name ever...
                  I see 600 of those everyday, and they're still awesome to crawl around. FYI Stewart & Stevenson has been bought and we're now BAE Systems, but everything still says S&S.
                  100mph?!! Dang, I was of the impression we govern them to 58mph, but I guess you guys have ways around that...
                  I agree about the "bad boy" thing. It's kind of amazing that a truck that big only has three seats in it.

Comment

BAE...S&S...whatever. :D

We actually had the S&S guys drive down to Ft. Hood from Sealy, TX and they did what they called "reprogramming" to our '78s and '84A2s. I don't care what they did, our trucks stomped! We had five at the time, and all were clocked by Kuwaiti police above 85mph at one point. Me and "Vette-Boy" had the ringers...his would hit 95 but beat me in the drag race, unloaded I have no idea where I was at MPH-wise, the speedo doesn't go far enough. Great on roads, but man, if it weren't for the vacumn effect keeping me stuck to the seat...LOL...I have no idea how I haven't rolled one yet after some of the crap I've put them through! I'm not shocked about the three-person seating...though I think the center seat is the truck's appendix (Why the hell is it there?! I'm 6'2"! That hurt after 4 hrs!)
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I don't have a picture but I had the baby brother to that V-16 in a 53 Ford F-100 in the 70's. It was a 4-51. No valves at all. Intake ports on one side of the sleeve and exhaust ports on the other side. Had a blower like the rest. Not much power but lots of smoke and noise from dual 3" stacks. ;D

Jim

Comment

That looks like a 16v-71,one block with 4 heads and 2 blowers, with one old style valve cover and one new style (left). They had somewhere around 600 horsepower. The 8v-71 had 318 h.p. and before they came out with the 92 Series they added a turbo to the 8V-71 and it had 350 hp. For those that don't know the 53,71,92,149 were cubic inches per cylinder. 3-53 and 4-53's were used in skidders, 3-71 and 4-71's were used on irrigation pumps,fire pumps and small generator sets. The larger 16v-149 had 2 blowers and 4 turbos and was used in larger boats. The 8v-92's had a blower and a turbo and made up to 450 hp in over the road trucks. The baddest over the road rig I ever dynoed on a wheel dyno was a 12v-71 twin turbo with a 15 speed with 3.55 rears in a Peterbuilt.This was in 1980 or 81, at 126 mph it put out 490 horsepower to all 8 tires before they broke loose on the rollers. The E.M.D. (Electromotive Division) of G.M. had two versions in trains. The one I remember was the 645 cubic inches per cylinder. They had individual heads with water and fuel lines to each one. To remove the rod and piston they had a cover on the side of the block to loosen the rod bolts through. You could repair just one cylinder if need be. They turned a large generator which propeled the train. They turn a whopping 900 rpm. I worked on Detroits and Allison transmissions from '77 till '87. Notorious for oil leaks but I learned a LOT about turning wrenches in those days.

Comment

Working...
                        X