Carmegeddon LA starts tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmegeddon LA starts tonight

Tonight, because of the construction to widen the I-405 freeway between the west Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley; they are closing the freeway between I-10 and Hwy 101. This 10 mile section of freeway is probably the busiest in the country and has near 500,000 cars running over it's asphalt and concrete every day.

The reason for the closure is so the construction company in charge can knock down part or all of the Mulholland Dr overpass; not sure which. They will be essentially jack hammering the overpass into pieces and carrying away the crumbled concrete and bent rebar in dump trucks.

What does this mean for motorists in LA? Well, it's a total freaking disaster. They will be forced to find other paths from the basin to the valley for the weekend. There is conjecture to whether Sepulveda Blvd over the Sepulveda Pass, which runs right next to the 405 will be open the whole way. Whether or not, it will be open, that street will be the last one you will want to be on simply because that's the one everyone will be looking for as an alternative. Other alternatives include heading up the PCH into Malibu and going over Topanga Canyon, Malibu Canyon, or Kanan Dume Rd. East of the 405, there are nice narrow, windy roads like Beverly Glen, Coldwater Canyon, Laurel Canyon and a few other even narrower and windy-er residential streets that will get you up to Mulholland Dr, then you'd have to find another goat path down the other side. Lastly, you can drive east to downtown to pickup Hwy 101 back west through Hollywood and into the Valley. It's only 25 miles out of the way and through tourist infested parts of town. Sounds like a weekend of fun in your car, doesn't it?

This author and professional driver is, luckily, not scheduled to work during Autopacolypse and is glad of it. The only crowd he'll be in is trying to get a ticket to see Harry Potter's final flick. Maybe work on one of his POS's too. Staying away from freeways altogether sounds like a smart plan for the weekend.

I'm about to head back over that hill, hopefully, for the last time until Tuesday.

As I'm about to sign off here, I just heard a story that this plan was secondary to a cheaper, less problematic plan that included keeping the freeway open during the demolition of the Mulholland Dr overpass. It seems the snotty, selfish, Richy Richs who live up on the hills of Beverly, Bel Air, and Mulholland complained that plan would make their weekend suck for driving their Ferrari's and Lamborghini's at stupid speeds on the ridge running Mulholland Dr, so they called and complained, and our politicians bowed to their demands. Well, I'm betting they won't be any happier with this new plan when 5 million cars are lining Mulholland and the canyon roads trying to get from one place to the other. Let's hope they can't get their over priced Italian toys out the gate of their big gaudy mansions. Justice.

The construction company has until 6 am Monday morning to get the freeway open for the morning commuters or be fined $72,000 hr.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; July 15, 2011, 12:13 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

I'm taking bets on how many days the construction company runs over on the time-to-complete. That 72,000hr fine is built into a bid somewhere along the way, I guarentee it.

I call 72 hours personally. The drama-happy weinies in LA will eat it all up anyways; gives them an opportunity for some attention. The rest, as showcased by your own example, will use it to their advantage.
    Last edited by STINEY; July 15, 2011, 12:46 PM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Whats offensive is they managed to demolish the Sunset and Skirball overpasses without closing the freeway for three days. They did it by closing one side of the freeway at a time over one night each.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

53 hours.

that kinda skill would be welcome in a maine summer.

this is rte 201 today near jackman maine. the "only" road.
        we were on the left side as they tarred fast. the sticky layer for the new stuff was way ahead of the dump of fresh pavement.. (indicates how fast they are moving...not just aplan.. but actually moving quite fast).

that alaska road story is easier than some of what we have today already built.. the maintenance.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Carmageddon will be hysterical to watch here locally on TV, you'd think it was Battle LA in real life. I'm staying 50 miles away and enjoying a cool adult beverage.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Yet another reason I enjoy living east of California!

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

OMG!!! OMG!!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling.... meh. On I-405 in Bellevue (next to Seattle) they closed 405 twice to do the same thing - take down overpasses..... they had them down in one night... it's actually pretty cool to watch them do it. The put dirt on the freeway to protect the surface then just drop chunks until its done.... what do you bet that there is a huge "early completion" bonus?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The only other place I have been that has traffic as ridiculous as LA was Seattle...

The city of LA must thrive on making commuting as difficult and hazardous as humanly possible.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Last edited by BangShift McT; July 15, 2011, 06:21 PM.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Metro area

Average
                    Highway vehicles daily

Los Angeles I-405 382,000
                    Atlanta I-75 365,240
                    Houston U.S59 338,510
                    Chicago I-90 330,067
                    Seattle I-5 301,061
                    San Francisco I-80 299,000
                    New York I-95 295,400
                    San Diego I-15 290,000
                    Phoenix I-10 288,101
                    Miami I-95 288,000
                    Washington I-395 280,000
                    Dallas-Fort Worth I-35E 267,250
                    Riverside-San Bernardino State Road 91 264,000
                    Providence I-95 263,500
                    Sacramento I-305 249,000
                    San Jose U.S. 101 244,000
                    Denver I-25 243,333
                    Las Vegas I-15 240,585
                    Salt Lake City I-15 235,018
                    Honolulu H1 229,393
                    Tampa-St. Petersburg I-275 228,000
                    Baltimore I-695 224,775
                    Detroit I-696 222,093
                    Boston I-93 219,598
                    Minneapolis I-94 211,744
                    Austin I-35 210,832
                    Some other LA Freeways
                    The 5@Santa Ana 358,000
                    The 10@Los Angeles 345,000
                    The 101@Encino 336,000
                    The 91@Anaheim 315,000
                    The 605@Santa Ana 312,000

Some other SF Bay Area Freeways
                    The 680@Walnut Creek 307,000
                    The 80@Emeryville 306,000
                    The 880@Hayward 280,000
                    The 101@San Mateo 262,000

Comment

Busiest Highway in North America is in Canada

Comment

Today was great. Every one thought the freeway would be packed with people trying to do their stuff before it closed. Mostly, no one was on the freeway at all. I went over the pass four times at full speed. I'm thinking most people who could work from home did. Others just stayed away.

Other freeways were empty as well. Anyone who has driven in and around LA on a Friday afternoon can attest to the feeling every single car in the city must the road. But, today was not the case. I got an ASAP run at 6:45 pm when I was in Redondo Beach and made it to downtown in 22 minutes.

So far, Carmegeddan is more like the Great Traffic Hype. Let's hope that my coworkers get the same the rest of the weekend.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

And this makes the National news why?
                          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

The late great obnoxious comedian Sam Kennison would shout..."MOVE!!!!!"

You're starving in the desert, so MOVE!
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Pay very close attention to the news. You might catch a rare glimpse of our city workers actually working for a change. It may be rarer than a Bigfoot sighting
                              STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X