Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Gauges - Who sells junk?What did you use good? Hidden Costs? Your story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Gauges - Who sells junk?What did you use good? Hidden Costs? Your story?

I am of the mind to replace the factory gauges in the Stude Wagon I am building for my wife with something new. We are talking a speedometer and one four in one gauge side by side in the factory holes.
    I see Dolphin,Aurora,Auto Meter etc..etc..etc in Rod & Custom,Summit's catalog and every other rag I subscribe to.
    So I am asking you guys: What have you used? Successfully or otherwise. Hidden costs of sending units? Cheap looking gauge faces? Best thing since sliced cheese? Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance! Rich

restore the originals ?

Comment

I like AutoMeter.......

Comment

Autometer has worked well for me also, just need to finish hooking up a couple of them, LOL!
        Last edited by Grumpy; August 22, 2011, 09:23 PM.
        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I like how autometer gages work, and they look ok in a modern sort of way. I like how the older stock ones look. And I have the patience to get the older stock ones working most of the time.

I've had trouble with lighting in the two old SW gages I've tried in my 55.

Mostly I don't use aftermarket gages, aside from tachs
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I believe autometer are still made in USA

Comment

I've always used the originals......detail and clean 'em up.

I use SW & Sun tachs......send out 'em out and have
              new internals installed. I like the vintage look.

Also use the 2 5/8 SW Oil & Temp gauge...again I like the vintage look.

There are some cool looking gauges that are on the market with
              a nice retro look.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

and you have a neat collection of old ones too - and a neat collection of cold ones for that matter.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

the autometers with the led lighiting are pretty sweet. blow away the old dimly lit guages. i jus tput speedo tach and 4 guages in my duster, i went with the phantom 2. i think all the guages with the 2 have the nice lighting. if your going to spend all that money you might as well get guages you can see in the dark.

Comment

That there is my problem, I never want to spend money on them. The tach in my 55 is an old Autometer Monster, got it at the swap meet for $15. It's lighting isn't so great either.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like autometer too - still not terribly thrilled that you have to buy the sender AND the gauge (common trick is to lure people in with low prices is to not include the sender - you know who are you are Bosch!)
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

autometer, they sent a missing sender from a kit I bought in 2002, this year,
                        and exchanged the fuel gauge with a correct ohm one..
                        and are made here..
                        and they're not a fly by night(rush) company,
                        I have this set
                        that I was going to use in my c-10.. but is more suited for an older car than a hotrod..
                        summit gets 347.00 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-1709/?rtype=10
                        I'll let it go for 300.oo shipped if they are something you can use..
                        Last edited by Stich496; August 23, 2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X