X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses

Here's the thread about horses.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Let's get it all in one place, I can't follow the plot when it gets scattered over more than one thread. There's gotta be a spot.

Comment

Me and horses do not get along, in the 50 or sohorses I ahve had interaction with in my life none have liked me and the feeling was mutual...except one...If I coulda took this one home I would have, I went to a camp a few years back and they had trail rides. We could not put the youngest on a horse so I sent the wife and 2 others out and me and the little one stayed back and visited the horses. there was one who was a beautiful yellowish/tanish color with a white tail and a white patch on her face. I pet and taked to her a bit and was super friendly I gave her all sorts of attention...but otherwise...I hate horses.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Let's honor Dan and Gail. Everybody's got their thing, and they've done well honoring horses. I just hope this thread is a place for horses. Horse stuff.

Comment

Never had a horse.
          Had a Welsh pony when we were kids.
          When Dad retired - donkeys and mules (much easier than horses to deal with).
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I worked with horses when I was 15.

was hired to be the pooper scooper. newb.

took right to them, trainer caught on.
            I did not talk to the horses. I called them another way.

she then told me a story about someone with my last name..famous with horses.

my last name and stories goes back to kings and leaps and lies and... I shrugged all that off.
            I do not care much for horses, unless attention for one to keep.
            I did like the females or geldings. I'd just assume punch a stallion in the face.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Stud horses are always a PITA, from my experience. The problem is that they have One Thing on their minds, and it's NOT humans. You kind of can't blame them as they're perpetual 16 year old boys. Fred, my trainer, wouldn't allow them in the barn - too disruptive.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                Never had a horse.
                Had a Welsh pony when we were kids.
                When Dad retired - donkeys and mules (much easier than horses to deal with).
                I want goats (meat goats) and they need a guard animal. Yep, guard donkeys. They are very sociable, but apparently also a bit snobbish. If you have horses, donkeys, and goats, the donkey will want to hang out with the horses. Rotten turdheads. We've got a couple of neighbors with brendled color (sp) donkeys, I think I'm gonna give them carrots the next time I see them. They make me laugh when they brey. Named one of them buddy and the other one is "big john" (like big johnson) cuz ever time we come down the road, he's dragging something in the dirt. yuk.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Dad raised meat goats, too - Boers. Yummy.
                  Dad sold lots of donkeys as guard animals for sheep.

By the way, donkeys aren't brindle - they're "painted".

I think the donkeys don't like the goats because the little ones are always trying to play "King of the Mountain", and because goats are very aggressive eaters. We had to lock up the goats at feeding time, or they'd try to eat everything on the place.
                  Last edited by studemax; October 15, 2011, 09:30 AM.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Stud horses are always a PITA, from my experience. The problem is that they have One Thing on their minds, and it's NOT humans. You kind of can't blame them as they're perpetual 16 year old boys. Fred, my trainer, wouldn't allow them in the barn - too disruptive.

Dan
                    Show me a good stud and I'll show you a GREAT gelding. Studs have their place I admit, but I don't think it's around the general population........
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have a stud, he is actually one of the better horses I own, he got out a couple years ago and visited the neighbors mares, they came and got me I took a bridle over there and rode him home bareback. They couldn't belive he was a stud as quiet as he was.

Comment

I know there are gentlemen studs for sure but you sure can't count on it. Glad you have a nice one.

I prefer geldings as my experience with mares is that they're moody. Some folks have excellent luck with the girls but it hasn't gone well for me. Either way, I think my horse ownership days are behind me barring a Lotto win.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                          Dad raised meat goats, too - Boers. Yummy.
                          Dad sold lots of donkeys as guard animals for sheep.

By the way, donkeys aren't brindle - they're "painted".

I think the donkeys don't like the goats because the little ones are always trying to play "King of the Mountain", and because goats are very aggressive eaters. We had to lock up the goats at feeding time, or they'd try to eat everything on the place.
                          At my sister's camel ranch the got a couple BLM donkeys to keep the coyotes out when the camels have their babies, it has worked like a charm, no losses for 2 years.
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I rode a stallion named Laddy when I was a teenager he was very well-behaved and he listened to me even with hot mares around, but it was dangerous and illegal for me to be riding him. His owner was a Mormon cowboy who taught us to ride and didn't seem to care too much for rules...
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Illegal? There is legislation regarding the riding of horses as well? Never heard of this....
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X