Tremblor in Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremblor in Oklahoma

Wow.... OSU beats KSU and the state of Oklahoma experiences an earthquake immediately after the game. What's up with that? It was felt as far north as Wamego and Salina.

You folks to the south of Kansas ok?

Cobey, did you feel it down where you live?

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Ward; November 5, 2011, 09:45 PM.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

good luck

Comment

Now, USGS is reporting the quake was felt in Topeka, Perry and Lawrence, too. I don't recall feeling anything but my dog was acting weird as hell about that time. She was all jittery and whining.

Way back in grade school, I did a report on the dam at Tuttle Creek Reservoir just north of Manhattan, KS. At the time, Tuttle Creek was the largest earth-roll dam in the United States and the third largest in the world. An earth-roll dam is made up simply of dirt and rock with ZERO concrete reinforcement. This dam is built right on top of the largest fault line in the state of Kansas. The people of Manhattan and all points east along the Kansas River do NOT want to feel earthquakes. Scary stuff!

Ron
      Last edited by Ron Ward; November 5, 2011, 09:32 PM.
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Dad and I felt it this evening while watching the tube.
        Trucks going by never shake the house that much, and this one rattled the dishes.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

i read it was felt in Kansas City and North Texas Dallas area
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
            Wow.... OSU beats KSU and the state of Oklahoma experiences an earthquake immediately after the game.
            That's what happens when you don't cover the spread.

Comment

We've had a few around here today, they all were about 40 miles east of OKC. I live about 8 miles south of downtown and I felt the one right after the game, a 5.6 they say. The first was a 4.8 about 2:15 Saturday morning and about 40 aftershocks during the day, some in the 3.0-3.4 range.

Comment

we had one last night as well.. this one was pretty cool...there was some damage in tulsa,, nothing bad...

Comment

big contrast.. oklahoma is in the middle. largest quake in state history. I seem to read that alot lately...more than 1 place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quake.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	858360
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 5, 2011, 10:38 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

After 35 years of marriage my sister in law farted in front of my brother.They live in Tulsa and thats his story.

Comment

Is it just me but Tornado's, earthquakes, flooding...........Hmmmm, I'm thinking it takes a special bread of people to live that life.........

Ahhhh, the safety of Arizona, worst thing you have to fear is a Haboob..........

Comment

Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
                        After 35 years of marriage my sister in law farted in front of my brother.They live in Tulsa and thats his story.

Breaking the Barrier!

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                          Is it just me but Tornado's, earthquakes, flooding...........Hmmmm, I'm thinking it takes a special bread of people to live that life.........

Ahhhh, the safety of Arizona, worst thing you have to fear is a Haboob..........
                          you forgot ice storms in the winter,over 30 straight days 100 degree heat in the summer, hail the size of softballs.sub zero winter temps...we had 2 snow storms that had over a foot of snow in each storm,,a week apart!!! i love this place...
                          Last edited by bulletproof; November 6, 2011, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                            Way back in grade school, I did a report on the dam at Tuttle Creek Reservoir just north of Manhattan, KS. At the time, Tuttle Creek was the largest earth-roll dam in the United States and the third largest in the world. An earth-roll dam is made up simply of dirt and rock with ZERO concrete reinforcement. This dam is built right on top of the largest fault line in the state of Kansas. The people of Manhattan and all points east along the Kansas River do NOT want to feel earthquakes. Scary stuff!
                            Actually, that's exactly how you want a dam to be built over a fault line, the dirt moves and usually can remain self sealing from th clays in it, where as concrete will quickly fracture and give water conduits to pass through. Lots of moutain valleys start off as faults creating a weak zone that erodes quicker than the surrounding rock, so it's not uncommon for a fault to run right under a dam. At least out west.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

seriously......hmmmmmmmmmm. i love the science. i felt a quake here in ohio when i was a boy. late sixties i think?...4.8 or 5.0 or somethin like that... it was a minor enough shake that my mom didn't believe me when I told her what I thought.

us here in the midwest REALLY don't want no quakes any bigger. it wouldn't be good. we are not prepared. lots of masonary buildings and old bridges in these country towns. There are reports of houses having damage from this quake. CNN has it. probably caused by comet Elenin
                              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X