Who knows about clay bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows about clay bar?

I see yellow and blue. Are they different grits that are color coded? If yes, which is the safest? Also, is a 100 gram bar adequate or small in size? I'm looking on ebay, so I can't see in person. Thanks
    STUGOTS

Different manufacturers just make their clay bars different colors, that's all.
    1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
    2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
    2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

A 100 gram bar should last you a long time, provided that you don't drop it. As it picks up crap off the paint, you just kned it and expose a fresh part. I use it all the time.

You can use a quick detailer as a lubricant, but I've also used soapy water in a spray bottle.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        A 100 gram bar should last you a long time, provided that you don't drop it. As it picks up crap off the paint, you just kned it and expose a fresh part. I use it all the time.

You can use a quick detailer as a lubricant, but I've also used soapy water in a spray bottle.
        Cool. I've got bottles of that quick detailer stuff. Thanks guys
        STUGOTS

Comment

Ebay? You can't just go to the parts store and grab one Grouch? I prefer the Mother's clay bar to the others. It seems to hold up better for some reason.
          Last edited by BluLightning; December 15, 2011, 04:41 PM.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

there are different clays that are more or less aggresive and have different uses. ive only used what was available at the auto parts store but i have seen different clays available at shows and mail order places.
            heres a few different ones http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.do?query=clay+bar
            Last edited by 1931s/x; December 15, 2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Clay bar first, then Meguiar's Speed Glaze (on a buffer) even takes out the salt etch we get out here after the winter.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

The color does signify the grade of clay bar... Yellow, which is probably a Meguir's like clay bar is fine... A purple bar is usually a stronger clay bar.

Wash, clay, wash, polish, glaze and wax.

I would go to the Chemical guys website and order from them... They make a good portion of the stuff you buy with a fancy name or label on it...

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                  Ebay? You can't just go to the parts store and grab one Grouch? I prefer the Mother's clay bar to the others. It seems to hold up better for some reason.
                  Yes, ebay. At the parts store it's $20 with the instant detailer. Ebay has just the clay bar for $6, free shipping. I have 5 full bottles of instant detailer
                  STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                    Yes, ebay. At the parts store it's $20 with the instant detailer. Ebay has just the clay bar for $6, free shipping. I have 5 full bottles of instant detailer
                    Gotcha. Makes sense now.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

never used a clay bar...can you really tell a difference?...what does it actually do?

Comment

Never used a clay bar. I grew up buffing used cars for the Buick dealer so I just run the buffer over them. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that I haven't used it.

Dan

Comment

Picks all the embedded crap off of the paint.

I recently used clay to pull all the Lizardskin overspray off my car. I was very surprised that it could do it.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

If you drive your car alot as we do,the clay bar will take a bunch of crap off.Road grime will not come off with just washing your car with soap and water with a micro fiber towel.the bar will amaze you at the amount of stuff it removes.I have only used water as detailers have compounds that will load up the clay.
                            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Best way to use a clay bar is as follows:

Cut the new clay bar into thirds. One for the bottom, one for the top and the other for wheels. Before use, spray down with a detail spray (water can be used, but this is how I like to do it) to make the clay damp. Then spray a small area you plan to work on... Wipe in straight lines, NOT CIRCLES. Watch body lines and make sure the clay bar is kept damp. It should glide across with some resistance that will fade as the area is cleaned by the clay bar. If you have to rub with force, then the clay bar is too dry.

I strongly suggest you rinse/wash the car again after claying.

Depending on the type of paint and condition of the paint, I then go to my polish, swirl removers, etc....

Comment

Working...
                              X