Tactics for selling a car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics for selling a car.

You guys must have some great ideas on how to sell a car. Out with the secrets.

Actually I've got to get rid of my 86 Mercedes sedan and up to this point all I've done is buy cars not sell them.

Time to thin the herd.

Re: Tactics for selling a car.

Be honest... Period... don't under or over sell it... the car is what it is...

Keith

Comment

Are you considering selling it on FeeBay or Craigslist, or are you just going to sell locally ?
      Big difference.

Comment

I was thinking craigslist and a sign on it in front of the house.

Comment

First step, before you do anything else, is to do your due dilligence (research).
          Online checks with Bluebook, online dealers and on FeeBay and Craigs' for recent completed listings should provide an indication of what the car's current market value is.

When you go to list it, be honest as Keith said (but that doesn't mean you have to dwell on all the negatives - let them look for themselves). Pitch it in the best possible light and mention all the good features. Just like a resume isn't supposed to be so detailed that it gets you the job (it only gets the interview), the listing is only supposed to get them to call you or stop by and look at the car more closely. Then you sell it. If they ask you a specific question, that is the time to open up.

You want the maximum selling price and the potential buyer will want the minimum. Negotiations should put you in the middle somewhere, so leave yourself some room to manuever (but don't start so high, that no-one calls).

Remember, you want the junk to go away ... When you get an offer, consider if holding out for that last $100 is really worth not selling it.

Good luck.

Comment

I've just started the research.

God this is painfull.

reality sucks

Comment

Clean the car as good as you can, don't forget under the hood or in the trunk. I know it sounds wrong, but most people would rather buy a car that looks really nice but needs some small repair, than buy a dirty or cosmetically flawed car that doesn't need any repairs. (it's easier or less expensive to do mechanical work than repair other aspects of the vehicle for common folks)

Comment

Before the Gov, I worked for dealers for many years, initially doing used car clean up. VT Junk is right - shiny sells. The car needs to start and drive, but beyond that, folks won't pay a dime more for a rebuilt engine or trans than they will pay for one with 100K untouched miles. I finally learned to install a good junkyard component (engine, trans, etc) rather than doing a rebuild, because it has no bearing on the value. Borrow a buffer (if you don't have one) and rub it out (tape the sharp edges so you don't rub thru), followed by a good coat of wax. Shine up the interior. If the carpet is faded, get a spray can of interior spray paint and make it one color again (usually, black). Stuff like that. I'm telling you the deep, dark secrets of used car dealers - this is what works, and is how they make money.

And you have to set the price realistically. Everyone knows about <KBB.com> these days, and they WILL price it for themselves. BTW - I usually print out the KBB page and hand it to the potential buyer. This is a bit tricky, as Edmunds is almost always lower that KBB and I don't want them looking it up for themselves. When I'm buying - yep, I use Edmunds, and take a printout for the car with me.

Hope this helps
                Dan

Comment

Working...
                X