Health Care - Canada vs the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Care - Canada vs the US

I know we have a few Canadians on this board. The tax structure in Canada is so different from the US...by legend at least down here as we believe it, from what we hear the income tax in Canada is about 50% and that pays for "free" medical care.

By legend, it's free if you can get in to see a doctor. This whole subject came from a conversation Unit and I had this evening about a person who is on her forum, not BS. Let's say this person has a medical condition, and this person had to buy some kind of extra medical insurance to travel to the States from Canada, in case something happened during the trip.

So in turn, I spent a few months in Canada working, oblivious to the possibility that ....what if something medically bad had happened to me while I was there?

Who here knows about those things?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

My cousin lives in Toronto,he says it sucks and a lot of people come to NY (upstate) for stuff they need medically and pay out of pocket.
    Thats just what he says I dont know first hand so dont shoot me if im wrong.

Comment

I've read if you're diagnosed with diabetes, or heart problems; it takes six months longer to start treatment on average than here in the States. Can't say that is accurate for sure.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Are these all hypothetical questions?
        I would never let this enter my mind if I being a man supporting a family. You go where your talents and skill take you.
        Weigh risk and expected out come, if you can prepare or prevent, do so.
        Don't let fear of the self prevent you from venturing out,
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

As a Canadian you are covered in Canada.Travel outside the country,pre-existing condition(s) or not you would have very limited to no coverage. As one who travels in the U.S. on a weekly basis I have out of country coverage that should anything happen I'm fully covered as I would be at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            I've read if you're diagnosed with diabetes, or heart problems; it takes six months longer to start treatment on average than here in the States. Can't say that is accurate for sure.
            That one is total BS, I have a couple of relatives with type 1 diabetes (shots - lots of shots.....) and immediately after diagnosis they were on programs. The whole thing about 50% tax, thats total BS as well....
            Here in BC for a family of 4 we pay ~$120/month for extended medical, if you are in a low income bracket you don't have to pay this.

Reality is, a lot of talking heads in the US make up statements about canadian healthcare without really knowing the truth. Yes, there are clinics where you can go and pay to get certain surgeries to get it done faster than the public system (ie. scope your knee, minor surgeries that are not life threatening, etc). I'm all for those, if you want to pay, go for it and get off the list of people in the public system.

I can say that the 11 times my son has been in the hospital (all just quick stays for the same issue), we have been treated great. Yes, there are problems and it isn't perfect, but I don't think anyone in there right mind can argue that the american system is perfect either (crippling payments, huge debts if you don't have insurance, etc.....)

Comment

btw, my dad was diagnosed with cancer last year, had surgery to remove part of his colon within 3 weeks, not the "6 months" that I have heard many times referred to before.....

Comment

Hence, the reason I said I couldn't for sure know it was the truth. There is so much info on the net, but so much of it is inaccurate info. The news agencies here have agendas and push the truth aside to promote those agendas.

BTW, my coworkers are paying up $700/month for family coverage with my company's health insurance. There are big companies out there that cover much more of the cost. When I hear unions whining they will now have to pay $100/mo for family coverage I want to laugh at them.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I spent most of my working time up there in New Brunswick, though I hit Montreal and Ontario (Thunder Bay) as well on shorter stays.

My original question came from what I heard from them, as well as from my ex-boss who was from Newfoundland and stayed down here for 3 years before going back home. Add all of that to what we are fed by the media stateside...well, (drawing a blank). Still unsure. Just don't know what the truth is.

Comment

30% of my cheque goes to taxes and Employment Insurance (which I have no chance of ever seeing).

Members of my family have waited for 6 months or more to get treatment.

Comment

why do you have no chance of ever seeing employment insurance? (I'm presuming you're in Canada), even self employed can claim EI now if their co. goes out of business (not sure on all the logistics)

BTW Peewee, your original question - what if you were here visiting and you needed medical help and did not have insurance. You would likely get fixed up at the nearest hospital or clinic, but you WOULD be getting a bill..... In order to get the "free" (not really, just cheap) healthcare you need to have a care card number which is used to track all of your medical expenses (basically an ID card)

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post
                        why do you have no chance of ever seeing employment insurance? (I'm presuming you're in Canada), even self employed can claim EI now if their co. goes out of business (not sure on all the logistics)

BTW Peewee, your original question - what if you were here visiting and you needed medical help and did not have insurance. You would likely get fixed up at the nearest hospital or clinic, but you WOULD be getting a bill..... In order to get the "free" (not really, just cheap) healthcare you need to have a care card number which is used to track all of your medical expenses (basically an ID card)
                        Well, it all shows what I've always misunderstood. And the question by itself is all in retrospect. I hope my work in Canada is over and done, and I think it is (knock on wood).

But I made some great friends up there, folks I stay in distant contact with even still.

It's cold as freezing hell up there in the winter and it stays daylight until midnight in the summer, while the Black Flies are out. Neither of which really suits what I'm used to.

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post

If you net over $57250 CDN in the year you claimed EI you have to start repaying what you received in Insurance benefits. The more you make the more you pay back when you file your income tax.

I agree if an American got hurt/sick they would get the bill. It happened to a CFL football player who got into a car accident after the Calgary Stampeders released him. I can't remember his name.

I do not agree that our Healthcare is cheap. We pay through taxation. We have "sin taxes". There's a reason why beer and smokes cost twice as much in Canada! Gasoline is also heavily taxed (33% Americans pay about 11%). Being that your in British Columbia you also pay 12 percent HST on pretty much every purchase you make. A portion of all this money goes to fund healthcare. Your $120/month subsidizes your healthcare not pays for it, basically another tax.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                            Well, it all shows what I've always misunderstood. And the question by itself is all in retrospect. I hope my work in Canada is over and done, and I think it is (knock on wood).

But I made some great friends up there, folks I stay in distant contact with even still.

It's cold as freezing hell up there in the winter and it stays daylight until midnight in the summer, while the Black Flies are out. Neither of which really suits what I'm used to.

You can always get traveller's insurance should be cheap.

Comment

From my experience both systems are flawed - and wonderful, each in it's own way. We are lucky to have decent insurance and now Medicare so pretty much everything is covered.

My great aunt who passed away a few years back lived in London, ON, and they took GREAT care of her in the Canadian public health system. She sometimes got a crummy doc but that happens here, too (I've fired a few - even got "banned" from a practice for not worshiping the doc). Anyhow, in Canada at least everyone CAN get care and from our families' experience, within a reasonable timeframe. They kept her alive and vital for 99 1/2 years - couldn't have been too bad! I'm not qualified to speak to how their payment system works but you can be sure that the money doesn't fall out of the sky.

Remember, if you are American and get a bill for Canadian health care you would turn that bill into your US insurance - most will cover the care as long as they can determine that the care was necessary (they won't pay for your nose job). That is NOT the case for Canadians here in the US.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X