Saab 9-5 SportCombi vs. Taurus SEL Premium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saab 9-5 SportCombi vs. Taurus SEL Premium

So I've decided to throw myself at the mercy of the board on this one looking for advice. The short story is I am replacing my 99 Silverado with a WAGON. A regular cab truck can't carry a baby in a rear facing car seat safely so it has to go. The wife has 0 interest in an SUV, we don't have the budget for a crossover, and we both don't want a minivan. This leaves a wagon pretty much.

We have found 2 we like for varying reasons.

#1 2005 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Aero with 90K miles (2.3L HPT, 250hp)
    - Heated seats front and back
    - More rear leg room than our Lincoln LS so the little guy can't kick me in the back
    - Performance I like, sizing she likes, and styling we both like

#2 2003 Ford Taurus SEL Premium with 17K miles (24V 3.0 Duratec, 200hp)
    - Even bigger back seat and 3 rows of seating
    - Super low miles
    - Top of the line model with full leather and wood interior and a floor shifter

Like I mentioned before, we like both for varying reasons. Price is nearly a wash, replacement parts are close enough for the most part to not worry, and the operating cost for fuel and insurance is near the same too. Which do ya'll think?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

We have 03 Sable LS sedan. The transmission did go out at 75K. That and than the attraction for parking lot objects are the only issues we have had. We have 125K miles on it now.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Ford .... more American made.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Is there a reputable Saab dealer anywhere near you? That would be my main reservation.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

The Saab dealer by me just rolled up the carpet and locked the doors, although isn't GM covering all Saabs made before 2009 or something to that effect?
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I don't think I'd touch a SAAB with a 10 foot pole. They're bankrupt, on the way to gone for good apparently. From a recent Top Gear show where they commented on the passing of SAAB, even when they were under GM they did things their own way, and there were a lot of unique parts that weren't shared with other GM vehicles. I would think the resale value would be near worthless, and if all the SAAB dealers close down and something goes wrong with it you could get stuck. I assume HPT means turbo? It's got to be a risky move.
            Last edited by Silver68RT; March 7, 2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

There are many SAAB specialty shops all over the country. Don't let the closing of dealers scare you. All it will take is a quick search of the SAAB boards to find a shop near you...

As someone who has had a Tauras wagon as a company car... They are ok... Do your research and then make a decision based on what you find and what you like...

Comment

All i have to say, is our shop makes a lot of money off of Taruses. They're decent cars, but no where near as good as the newer stuff from ford.

There's got to be other options out there right?

Comment

Taurus isn't perfect, but it's common, parts are cheap and problems are well known and documented (be nice to the auto trans)

The way you care for a car - any car should treat you well.

Please learn from my painful mercedes diesel experience - you DO NOT want a rare care in a daily driver position. The ability to get things as simple as filters and brake pads on a weekend from a common parts store can be exceedingly valuable.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I gotta agree with the rest of the guys that are concerned about purchasing an "orphan" car. The Saab is probably the better vehicle today, but you will eventually have issues.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

they should both be real cheap

Comment

Speaking as a Ford guy, a Taurus is ok, nothing special. Basically a fleet car, it's white bread. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one. I'd rather have the Saab. I know you're not a mini van fan but they really have use. We've had 2 Windstars and now a 06 Freestar. Again white bread. They were not our desired choices but the cost trumped. I wasn't going to buy an over priced Honda or Toyota. While our 95 & 99 were no bargains and had their problems, Our 06 Freestar is worlds better despite having an engine that is about as refined as a Soviet era tractor engine. It handles very well with it's 235/55/17 tires, been very reliable, getting about 22 MPG on the hiway and pulls a trailer pretty well. Tons of room to haul stuff...which you'll do with the kid, trust me!

When I worked at Hertz, I've driven GM mini vans while I have nothing against GM, they had really spooky handling when they were carring a load, down right scary at times. Haven't driven a Chrysler, so I can't comment and my Freestar has had no scary traits when loaded with a roof carrier and pulling a loaded trailer. Only wish in general, bigger brakes, like 13" in front
                        Last edited by Huskinhano; March 8, 2012, 10:17 AM.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          they should both be real cheap
                          Roger that - they made about half a billion Tauri? For serviceability, I'd go that route.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Dont have enough education to chime in either way, but if I were held hostage and told to shoose one; I would choose the Ford. It seems to me that the Saab is an odd ball and parts may be hard to find and expensive...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Well I went with option E actually. God decided He didn't like the 2 choices I tried to box Him into and gave me a 2007 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Aero with 10K less miles for $500 less out the door. Another plus is the 2007's have 10 more hp and rumored to have another 15hp in overboost for 15s.

Real blast once I got the snow tires off of it and some Continental All Seasons on it! Then I went TDY the next day so it's all good. Thing to fix when I get back include trying to stop an annoying rattle in the domelight and I think the blower motor is start to eat a brush so I'll see what I can do for parts to rebuild it. However the main thing will be fixing the bad ABS sensor and leaky exhaust on the truck so I can put it on the market ASAP and reclaim a good chunk of my spent money on the Saab.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X