Mig welder - what's in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig welder - what's in a name?

We've all heard the brand loyalty stories among welders, but it really comes down to what machine fits your needs in the price range you have to work with.

I'm considering buying a new mig welder that will handle thinner sheetmetal better than my tried and true monster - the old Lincoln SP200 - which is way better at thicker stuff.

My question is to the guys that have been there done that and use welders alot.

In the 220V MIG (not flux core) market, with a target of around 22 gauge to 1/4" plate - what's the best machine for a car guy?

MILLER?

LINCOLN?

HOBART?
    Miller
    66.67%
    Lincoln
    29.63%
    Hobart
    3.70%

The poll is expired.

There's always something new to learn.

Any of them IMO.......I have both a Lincoln and a Hobart, they are both 110v units, using Flux core wire the Hobart seems to do a little better especially on thicker material......So what I did was convert the Lincoln to gas(argon), it won't do the thicker stuff now, but it works real good on the thinner stuff.......

Comment

china dolls

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
        china dolls
        that is terrible.
        ebay is about the only place left to find the douchebag weldeing machines.

I still have a china doll I bought from tractor supply.

at least it has a feedback mechanism, and overheat that works.

they never advertise these things..hence the brand name cults.
        I'd choose any of the classic names...at huge freakish cost however.
        after learning the facts and ripping into every detail of my first chinese tragedy. I am not paying alot again.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think all three of those are pretty good units.

When I first started MIG welding I bought a cheap Campbel Housefeld 110, and never could weld worth a damn with it. I thought I needed more and more practice. I started gas welding when I was a kid, and had years of experience stick welding heavy equipment so I thought I'd pick up the MIG welding pretty fast, but couldn't get nice results.

Later, I had a buddy working with me who had been doing autobody welding for many years. His welds with my machine were as bad or worse than mine. He slammed down the welding head and said "This thing is Sh!t." Went out that day and bought a new 220 Lincoln SP175Plus, and the beads laid down like butter. I gave my old MIG away.
          -dulcich
          Last edited by dulcich; March 14, 2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Here's mine. Seems to be exactly what you're looking for.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2565.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	861025
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Bob - how much have you used your autoset 180? I'm liking the 211 model of the same line... it's $1000ish.

There's a hobart187 supposedly still new in the box on craigslist near me for $500.

Comment

I don't remember the model of my Miller right offhand............thinking 208, 210 something like that?

Its 220v and has the same cart and regulator as Bob's. I've welded everything from 3/8" plate to sheetmetal with it, and while I'm no pro the machine has my friends thinking I am.

Paid $600-700 about 9 years ago, bought new from our local welding supplier during their annual openhouse/customer appreciation sale. They do a big demo day and have snack goodies, and mine was no special deal, just regular advertisement on their flyer.
                Last edited by STINEY; March 14, 2012, 11:37 AM.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I love my Miller 212.

Comment

I have a little Lincoln 110 which is good and I use my buddies 175, but the one I wish I had back was a Miller 250.

One more tool on the wish list after the fancy tIg unit.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Miller and Hobart are like Snap On and Blue Point respectively. Most parts interchange among the like models. Lincoln is a nice welder too. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 220v Miller that will handle thicker gauge and do much better for sheetmetal than the 110v Hobart 140 I have been using. I have a Miller dealer in town, nobody around here carries Lincoln. When it comes to those two, I go with he one that has the features I want for the more affordable price.

The one thing I would love to have is aluminum capability, which requires more heat and power along with a spool gun. Really I should set up to a Tig, but I still need a Mig for simple cheap stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Bob - how much have you used your autoset 180? I'm liking the 211 model of the same line... it's $1000ish.

There's a hobart187 supposedly still new in the box on craigslist near me for $500.
                        In all reality I haven't used it all that much but when I did, it worked great. I think I spent about $1000 for the whole deal, welder, cart filled bottle.
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Don't like Lincoln MIGs, but it's been 15 years since I used one so maybe the offshoring, sourcing of Chinese parts, and rebranding have made their products better...

I'm a Miller guy, but have you checked out ESAB? they make a good machine as well - and sometimes they have pretty good deals.

Hobart, last I checked, was made by either ESAB or Lincoln (depending on the machine).... maybe they finally started producing here?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I thought Miller and Hobart were made on the same line... I own one of both Miller and Hobart. Both do ok, but then again, I can't weld worth a crap. I have used both the Miller (250 Amp) and the Hobart (175 Amp) to weld thin gage body panels to 1/4"- both do about the same. The only thing against either one is that the Hobart's wire feed mechanism is a little lightweight- but that may have more to do with it being a consumer welder, not an industrial welder. I had a 110 Miller that seemed to be better quality than the Hobart.

Never used a Lincoln. I would suggest looking at Esab as well. They are real popular in industrial MIG welding.
                            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

ESAB - yes - very nice, and usually priced to reflect that, and quite a bit harder to find parts / support for....

Thanks folks - keep it comin!

Comment

Working...
                              X