Schoolin' the kids/weekend side job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schoolin' the kids/weekend side job

On of my younger NCO's was in my office after he had his truck towed to a garage. Seems the brakes went out on his little 94/95 Rnager. The garage quoted him 1200 bucks for parts and labor. He knows nothing about cars, he can fix a plane like no ones business but...he just doesnt know jack when it comes to cars.

I told him, go buy the parts, get the truck towed to the base hobby shop and I will do the work for 100 bucks.

He had his brother (O'rileys manager) order the parts on the garages "parts list" had it towed to the hobby shop and 400 bucks later we were ready to work. I did the back brakes, and one leaking wheel cylinder, the front brakes, calipers, wheel bearings and roters were all junk so those got replaced. He ended up returning the rear drums and a wheel cylinder...after all was said and done...he can now do a set of brakes, knows how to replace all the parts, knows how to bleed a brake system and is out only 500 bucks total.

and I have an extra 100 bucks......Win-win for everyone...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

I know everyone has to make a living but, it just seems it out to be against the law to take advantage of a service person . Thankyou both for your service.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I was floored when I saw the estimate...we could have done it even cheaper if we ordered the parts from Rockauto....I used to do side jobs like this all the time when I was younger...I may have another coming up too...I could use the extra money too.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I do 2-3 brake jobs per week, cash only .... I have a wholesale cash account at my local Car Quest (the manager hooked me up). Average cost seems to be $77 per axle (pads/shoes/rotors/drums) w/a complete inspection of all related parts. I charge on average $185 per axle. Been at it for roughly a year and a half and I've had zero comebacks. It is amazing at what I've seen that these chain store brake shops do to peoples cars .... and the money they charged t do it!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

If it was for a wifes friend/civillian I would have charged a bit more but I wanted to help him out. I would love to do it for free but I figure my time is worth something. 185 per axle aint bad.

Comment

Your a good guy Joe!!!........

Comment

Great work Joe - he paid a very reasonable fee ($100) for an invaluable education! The brakes were just an added bonus!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It blows me away how many guys that work for me are like this. They wrench on a plane all day every day but when it comes to basic auto maintenace...they just cant do it. I think there is an intimidation factor, which kills me becasue I was way more intimidated working on jet engines than a car.

Comment

Nice work, Joe! Sometimes you just need to show a guy how its done for them to get their confidence.
                  -dulcich

Comment

Working...
                  X