My diagnostic tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My diagnostic tool

So the '96 Sebring got benched a few years ago for stalling on a freeway to freeway bridge on-ramp. We thought and it (may have contributed who knows?) it might be the fuel pump so Loren changed that. Because he is such a wonderful husband he drove the girly car to make sure it was healed. Well it wasn't it started doing it again, and if you wait a few minutes it will start and drive fine. then one day it did it, would not start and finally had to be towed home.
    I always like to try and figure out what is wrong with the cars, it gets easier the more car problems you have but this one was a stumper...
    Finally I searched "'96 Sebring engine shuts off" There I found a forum of Sebring owners who have had the exact same problem. As I went down the various postings I would see that someone replaced a fuel pump but later they posted again that it didn't fix the car. Finally near the end people were replacing some sensors and none of them came back to say it didn't work...So we got the sensors and spent some quality time in the driveway together installing these. I am happy (keeping my fingers crossed) to report that the car has not stalled while driving in 3 days!

YAY!
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; April 3, 2012, 10:51 AM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

A freind was having the same issue about 3 years ago with her Chrysler car. I did some basic troubleshooting and everything checked out so I did some research and talked to a few Dodge techs, and they suggested 3 different solenoids located up by the firewall on the drivers side...I replaced them and the car ran like a top til about a year ago when she got T-boned at an intersection.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; April 3, 2012, 11:06 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

When we first got this car it was still under warranty and the check engine light kept coming on...It would come on while driving for no apparent reason, I had it back and forth to the dealership for nearly a year, they replaced everything, but it still did it. They hooked up a special box with a button i had to hit when I saw the light come on, this went on and on and on... Finally I told them I was going to invoke the lemon law after that they talked to someone in Detroit and he said to replace either the transmission mounts or the enigine mounts I don't remember but that fixed it!
      CRAZY!
      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; April 3, 2012, 11:19 AM.
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

It's a tough call on those cars..

If you have a 2.5L V6 the distributor 'might' be going bad.
        The pick-up coil goes bad & we sell every distributor we get.
        Most of the time the car won't start at all if the pick-up goes bad.

The crank sensors go bad too.(on 2.0, 2.4 & 2.5's)
        We also sell our fair share of Sebring ECM's. (because they're all junk)

Just some ideas.

Comment

I will totally keep these suggestions!
          I really love the car! It is candy red and a convertable! It is very comfortable, has a big enough back seet for human beings and takes corners real nice!

Comment

I searched 2004 Silverado dash squeek - read through several forums - found an easy fix.
            Zip tie e-brake cable away from a rub point - voila - no squeeks for 6 months now. It was an irritating noise to say the least so I'm glad it's gone.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I cannot even begin to tally the ammount of money I have saved over the years using car forums to troubleshoot issues I have had with various vehicles. I probably saved 3 to 4 grand on just the Ram alone. The internet is wealth of money saving information if you know where to look.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                I cannot even begin to tally the ammount of money I have saved over the years using car forums to troubleshoot issues I have had with various vehicles. I probably saved 3 to 4 grand on just the Ram alone. The internet is wealth of money saving information if you know where to look.
                So what you are saying is Car Forums can be used for good instead of evil?

Comment

or both...

Comment

Be careful driving those sebring converts. My friend Jodi had one and got hit in the drivers door. She is lucky to have lived as it folded up like abeer can. Ths drivers door was pushed all the way to the console. She still has a few more surgeries to go four years later.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

so your diagnostic tool is your husband, thus, after reading the title to your thread - your husband is a tool? that's harsh
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You are so going to get me in trouble here!
                        I meant the car forums were my tool!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                          So what you are saying is Car Forums can be used for good instead of evil?
                          No. I'd say you're missing out on your true diagnostic tool. Sammiches. Deny sammiches, and your car will get fixed, or set on fire and replaced.

Trust me on this. I change oil based on denial of breakfast sammich... it just doesn't show up one Saturday? WTF? Oh hell, I forgot to change the oil. Two saturdays? Crap. Need a new car.

Love you Gail, I hope you know I'm teasing. Sorta.
                          Last edited by Beagle; April 3, 2012, 06:12 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Oh I could never hold back food! I am not that kind of girl!

I would like to apolgize to all my BS friends though, I really should have asked you guys first! I just figured you would think a Sebring was a dorky car, and wouldn't know that much about them. Next time you can all be my tool, I will provide the Sammiches.

Comment

mmmmm sammich

Comment

Working...
                              X