Every day radial tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every day radial tire question

How long do they sit in one spot on the car when they get permanent flat spots? Thanks
    STUGOTS

First off, I have no idea .... with that said, I did have a car stored on cheapo radials for 15+ years. When we pulled it out, the tires were really low, but not flat. We drove the car for 2500 or so miles with no noticeable flat spots or funky handling before putting new tires on.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I always thought it was the non radial tires that developed
      the flat spots (biased ply) and radials weren't prone
      to the dilemma.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
        I always thought it was the non radial tires that developed
        the flat spots (biased ply) and radials weren't prone
        to the dilemma.
        Bias for sure. And I hope/think you're right. But, I can't help but wonder if "anything" happens in time to the radial.
        STUGOTS

Comment

The tread separates from the carcas and beats your fender/Q-panel to death. That's what happened to my 14 year old BFG T/A's on the blue Montego.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

the tire code ( on sidewall) tells you when the tire was manufactured. And Tire Companies say to remove and destroy a tire that is 7 yrs old. ( At least ford does)
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.
            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

my monte has been sitting for 2 years and i put the wheels on my bmw and they had no flat spots, so theyre good for at least 2 years haha
              formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
              http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                The tread separates from the carcas and beats your fender/Q-panel to death. That's what happened to my 14 year old BFG T/A's on the blue Montego.
                I have to agree with you on this one. Never had radials flat stop but I have had the the outside carcus come of and beat the fenders up on a car and a car trailer. I think it has more to do with age than sitting though. I live buy the seven year rule now.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Some radials will flat spot, but they will go away after a few miles.

Pay attention to the DOT date code as mentioned - just because they look good, doesn't mean they are good. If the tires have been inside it helps, UV rays don't help rubber at all. I think tire stores are required to junk tires if they are 7 years or older.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Had some cheap Nexen radials go out-of-round in one Winter. That was not impressive!
                    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                    1997 Mustang GT
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
                      Had some cheap Nexen radials go out-of-round in one Winter. That was not impressive!
                      Falkens on my dad's truck did it in about 9 months, Fooooorrrrtt---ttt-t-t---t-t-t-ttty five mph let you know. They didn't get better after 30 miles. My Lightning has jacked right rear quarter from old tires saying "F* IT" at high speed.

It's a whole lot easier to replace the tires than paint and body imho. I have some great 'looking' rollers I wouldn't trust past 30mph.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Lots of new cars have this issue. They will heat up in 20 miles or so and come out of it. I have seen them take as much as 100 miles on a road trip.

The newer Ford F-150s are bad for this
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Helps a lot. Now I'm not too worried about my Pontiac sitting on brand new tires the past 1 1/2 yrs. It should be on the road within the next year
                          STUGOTS

Comment

maine can flat spot a yokohama and any rotor with an ebrake on.
                            even though it is worlds better than it used to be..
                            the silica gurus found a way to really keep things going.

I can't even look at "new old stock" anything.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I nearly shit a brick when mine went out of round.
                              Thought the balance was off, so I took them to a local shop, rolled them in and sat down. The tech came to get me, said "have a look at this". Showed me the wheel on the machine, totally egg shaped- I though it was the rim! Thankfully, just the tires.

They were little rubber bands off the front of my truck, so I gave them to a tuner friend (245/35/18)
                              1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                              1997 Mustang GT
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X