I Really Am an Complete Idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Really Am an Complete Idiot

Turned the TV on this afternoon after work and I get a never-before seen full-screen prompt, uppercase: "YOUR TV OR YOUR CABLES ARE NOT EQUIPPED FOR HDTV- PRESS EXIT TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND GO TO STANDARD DEF RECEPTION."

What thu? I messed with that long enough to get mad and Sue Unit got on the case quickly. Literally before I knew it, she had DirectTV on the phone.

Back and forth. She had the hard-wired phone and was telling me what the lady on the phone was asking, trying to troubleshoot the problem, and naturally the cord wouldn't reach.

What's the last four digits of your so-and-such number, behind the door that you have to open on the receiver? Dang, I had to get the flashlight and crawl on the floor and squinch these eyes to see it. I called out the numbers and the lady on the phone could hear it easily from across the room with Unit's amplified phone.

Finally Unit said, Will you talk to this lady?"

Nice Lady. Very nice. She said, "Can you check to see which input your TV it is set to monitor?"

Yeah, hold on. So where's the remote? All of an instant sudden I had lost the remote. I had it in my hand ten seconds ago, but now it's gone. Nowhere to be found.

Not liking it at all when things go wrong to start with, I lost my cool. I got mad at me and said pretty loud, "So where in the F*** is the GD remote???!!?" <<No doubt the nice lady on the phone heard that really well.>>

Unit said, "It's right there on the floor beside the flashlight where you left it when you opened the door on the receiver."

Oh.

The TV input. The last thing I did last night was to race cars on the X-Box and you have to switch inputs to do that. So I didn't switch the TV back to the correct input.

There it is.

After cussing up a vulgar storm I went back to the phone and said, "Thank you m'am. That was the problem, it sure was, thank you so much."

Still smiling with her voice she asked if there was anything else she could do to help us.

No thank you ma'm, I won't be calling you again this evening and thank you for your help.

Idiot. Idiot in the mirror.
    Last edited by pdub; April 17, 2012, 03:46 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

To answer your question. Yes.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The older you get, the more it happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
        The older you get, the more it happens...
        The more it happens, the more often it happens. Young folks don't believe it, because it hasn't happened yet.

Tick, tick, tick....

Comment

Tick, tick, tick....
          Yup. The stupid bomb.
          We all blow up, sooner or later.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            Yup. The stupid bomb.
            We all blow up, sooner or later.
            Getting the young folks to believe it is the hard part. So if we were still young and we knew all that was coming, what would we do (or have done) different?
            Last edited by pdub; April 17, 2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

young and naive wasn't a bad place at all
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I know what you are talking about,that little switch on top right? My dog broke my first one he took off with it in his mouth and I could not change the channel anymore.I cursed a lot but I fgured it out.

Comment

Hey peewee, don't sweat it, we all get CSR. Part of getting older I guess, like the wrong parts of our bodies getting stiff.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I thought it was CRS. Shows how bad I'm getting.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      Getting the young folks to believe it is the hard part. So if we were still young and we knew all that was coming, what would we do (or have done) different?

Not a dang thing! Really! We "knew it all" when we were young!

Comment

I dunno about that - mostly I had the "I don't have a microgiveashit" attitude
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What's old?

My wife forgets stuff all the time and she just turned 40.... gives me a distinct advantage in a few arguments - meaning - I may be able to win one out of a thousand.

No worries PDUB - you were a man about it - sometimes I think the most hearty laughter there is - is when we laugh at ourselves!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Peewee, have you ever had your tonsils out? Appendectomy? Wisdom teeth pulled?

Then, my friend, you can't possibly be a complete idiot.

With pieces missing, you couldn't possibly be. You could only qualify for partial idiot at best.
                            Last edited by STINEY; April 19, 2012, 09:08 AM.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

peedub...

What car game were you playing on Xbox?

I still have my old-school, original black Xbox (not a new-fangled 360 unit) and I really enjoy Project Gotham Racing 2. If you ain't got it, you can pick a copy up at CD Tradepost for less than 10 bucks. Fun fun fun...

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X