No announcement yet.

Why do I want this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a bridgeport with numerical control in the x/y axis would be able to build the lions share of stuff for this hobby? be cheaper, and take up less shop space.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

While it would be fun to own (and I would like a manual mill), a CNC is overkill. I prefer to pay someone to machine the parts I design- not out of laziness or being a checkbook racer, but because if they screw up, they fix it. If I am machining and screw up, if I can fix it, I do. Otherwise I buy a new piece of metal and start over.

My previous employer bought a couple of used CNC machines. One was good and worked well, the other had to be worked on more than it worked. You pay your money, you takes your chances.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        I think a bridgeport with numerical control in the x/y axis would be able to build the lions share of stuff for this hobby? be cheaper, and take up less shop space.
        umm John, I thought we had an understanding that we would not be talking about things automotive making fiscal sense
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I used to run a "burn machine" for a tower manufacturer..
          You know those base plates and gussets they build stuff with... I could torch (burn) up to 4 inch thick plate smooth as a baby's ass..
          And do 3 at a time.. Seems all the rage nowadays is PLASMA CUTTING MACHINES..
          I'd like to make brackets and form them..
          Aaron, look in your email for a pic of what I'd like to make.. Cradles!

Comment

I can have that made in about 8 different ways.... let's see if my guess of number of ways is correct

1) grinder
            2) torch
            3) plasma
            4) laser
            5) cast - using a 3D printer output as mold
            6) turret punch
            7) CNC

oops... only 7 ways
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 12, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I can have that made in about 8 different ways.... let's see if my guess of number of ways is correct

1) grinder
              2) torch
              3) plasma
              4) laser
              5) cast - using a 3D printer output as mold
              6) turret punch
              7) CNC

oops... only 7 ways
              How about actual 3D printing with powered metals?

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                How about actual 3D printing with powered metals?
                I don't know anyone who has that capability - but yes, there's another option

Comment

Working...
                X