Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demo Derbies.....anyone else out there ever done one?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo Derbies.....anyone else out there ever done one?????

I was taking a trip down memory lane the other day......at the ripe old age of 15 I drove in my first D Derby....it was 1986. I drove a 56 Chrysler New Yorker powered by a 472" Cadillac...it had a 68 Polara rear end with a Lincoln locker and 5:13 gears....That was the start of a 15 year run of doing it 5-11 times a year.....When we quit we had 27 cars still waiting to be converted....everything from 67-69 Polara/Monacos to 71-73 Kingswood/Safari Wagons.....we kept a 1957 Lincoln 2dr Hartop JUST IN CASE we ever ran again.....

Here's some shots of the last car we ever ran....my daughters 73 New Yorker...

Notice the nice curve to the dash....she took some hard licks.....

Oh how those headers sing on 383" on MOPAR.....

BUSINESS END of DETROIT.....LOL

Who remembers back to these days?????

Her posing with some iron in her junior dragster fire suit...she was driving both at the time.....

My boy ...brother and daughter doing some prep work.....
    Last edited by Chassisman; July 13, 2012, 01:38 PM.
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Deaf Bob is a hard core derby master. Great photos!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
      Deaf Bob is a hard core derby master. Great photos!
      Wow. No dash bar? It sure has jumped in leaps and bounds..
      I gotta get some photos on here when I get back home..

I like how that shifter has padding... Caddy power! I
      I LOVE how she and I run/ran the same number especially today!
      I see the different styles in builds.. Cool as hell!
      Guys give me shit cuz I practically drop everything to help the girls..

If you haven't checked out builds in some time, betcha be surprised

Being so far from home sucks!
      Will be back by next week!

Comment

Dang. Tried to post a pic. ..
        Guess I'll hafta wait till I get home.
        Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 13, 2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

here ya go bob

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

my first enduro car, its a demo derby but on a circle track

ran this car at the state fair once, took it home and sold it, heard it went on to do real good

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
              here ya go bob

THANKS!
              Wanna see a 64 Galaxie trike? ..

How it looked at the end of the night..

As a virgin...

Should hold y'all awhile..
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 13, 2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

love demo derby!!!! i built a couple of cars but didnt drive (messed myself up in a boat crash) my cousins drive I build and fix them.
                if i wasnt concerned I would cripple my self I would drive one! BTW nice demo cars guys
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Comment

i was the kid

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Can't believe how good this picture came out... it's a picture of a picture.... anyway... back in 85 or so.... I bought this old Caddy for 225 bucks and won... 5000lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal..... had to get up the next day and drive to Minnesota for the Street Rod Nationals..... which is tough cause I'd just been in 40 or so accidents.... Mostly hit and runs.... but smash up's all the same....and I was sore like 14 mo fo's ....( eating a ham samich of course )
                      Last edited by KeithTurk; July 14, 2012, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Cool! Keith, you ran a windshield, and it isn't broke?
                        Drove somebody else's car twice.. Once it was so hot... I was sweating like a pig over a BBQ PIT! Not that I don't already sweat!
                        The other time the windshield cracked.. That fine shower made me sore for days!

Keep them pics and stories coming folks! We can't get any more " grass roots" than that!

Boooghar, THANK YOU for posting off my links... I'll get it soon!

Comment

My daughters car was vuilt for powder puff only.....I'll snag the 7 photo albums from my dads house and try to scan a few pics......the best photo is from a news article about us.....its his 68 polara 2 dr carrying a 64 Ford across the trunk....his front wheels are 3' in the air and he's hammer down tryin to scrap it off.....we lived and breathed this stuff.....fabed tons of cool parts.....all of our shifters were mounted to the trans so no matter where it went it still worked....we made "oil filters" out of 2" pipe caps...the list goes on and on....lol
                          We made tires that lasted for over 5 years with no flats( we actually got banned from one fair over them when one let go and there were 2 tires let in the pit....lol)they ran at 125 psi. I still have the custom telescoping driveshafts we built....
                          The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                            here ya go bob

Is that a front end loader?

Oh, wait... just put my glasses back on.
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                              My daughters car was vuilt for powder puff only.....I'll snag the 7 photo albums from my dads house and try to scan a few pics......the best photo is from a news article about us.....its his 68 polara 2 dr carrying a 64 Ford across the trunk....his front wheels are 3' in the air and he's hammer down tryin to scrap it off.....we lived and breathed this stuff.....fabed tons of cool parts.....all of our shifters were mounted to the trans so no matter where it went it still worked....we made "oil filters" out of 2" pipe caps...the list goes on and on....lol
                              We made tires that lasted for over 5 years with no flats( we actually got banned from one fair over them when one let go and there were 2 tires let in the pit....lol)they ran at 125 psi. I still have the custom telescoping driveshafts we built....
                              sounds like some cool stuff!!
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                              X