television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• television

I have not had a tv going in about ten years.

my dad has his 32 inch Philips last-of-giant-crt televsions. The repair of the tube at 1 year.
    they opted for alighter LCD for cleaning purposes,etc.

anyway, he gave me the tv. Should I let it go ?

apr 2004 on the build date, has every plugin my computer plays with. that is my tempation...

the weight of it needs a couple of people, maybe one more for some doors.

I am way way out of the loop on this stuff, and decided lcd sucked a long time ago. Changing my mind is not hard to do, just walking through a department stores tv section..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 15, 2012, 04:22 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

So Barry.....lemme get this right. I'm a dumb sumbitch, don't pick up on clues very well...

So....you have a TV but you don't want to watch it?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You don't watch TV now, don't start, its election year and it sux!

Comment

Are you thinking of using it as a computer monitor? If so, I would be suprised if it had a VGA input. That is the 15 pin connector that is on the back of most computer monitors. Can you post a pic of the inputs? and another pic of the outputs from your pc? Your pc should have a VGA out connector that is currently connected to your existing monitor. a US tv talks in NTSC and a PC talks another different 'language' so they will not talk to each other unless they are equipped with the proper connectors. You can purchase a scan converter that will change a VGA (pc) signal to NTSC (tv). but they usually have significant signal loss and degradation of image, unless you spend big bucks for a pro grade unit from a company such as Extron. If you are needing to fix the 32" Phillips to get it to work...good luck. i don't know of anyone who will repair them anymore. flat panels are just too cheap and already come equipped to accept either NTSC or a VGA input....

ed- You can get a card for your pc that will output NTSC and it will prolly use RCA jacks for that... ATI makes them, among many other companies.
        Last edited by oldsman496; August 15, 2012, 05:52 PM.
        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
          Are you thinking of using it as a computer monitor? If so, I would be suprised if it had a VGA input. That is the 15 pin connector that is on the back of most computer monitors. Can you post a pic of the inputs? and another pic of the outputs from your pc? Your pc should have a VGA out connector that is currently connected to your existing monitor. a US tv talks in NTSC and a PC talks another different 'language' so they will not talk to each other unless they are equipped with the proper connectors. You can purchase a scan converter that will change a VGA (pc) signal to NTSC (tv). but they usually have significant signal loss and degradation of image, unless you spend big bucks for a pro grade unit from a company such as Extron. If you are needing to fix the 32" Phillips to get it to work...good luck. i don't know of anyone who will repair them anymore. flat panels are just too cheap and already come equipped to accept either NTSC or a VGA input....

ed- You can get a card for your pc that will output NTSC and it will prolly use RCA jacks for that... ATI makes them, among many other companies.
          its got rca and S connector. I have 4 ways to hook it up..
          I can even go individual color cables. isthat a security thing or just for external manipulation?

apr 2004 has matches for my 875pbz and agp output (the last of true ecc ram pc).

I am just going to droop my old wagon with it in the back, decide what to do later.

..peewee, I did not watch tv for along time, I was hit by aircraft radar.(I blamed myself more than my carzy car for attracting lightning)

an air force vet might relate, upon talking, my outcome is not even weird. metal plate removed from foot, its been 8 years...even my computer is not scary anymore. I think I can do a big tv.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            its got rca and S connector. I have 4 ways to hook it up..
            I can even go individual color cables.
            The RCA's are NTSC connectors. Yellow is video. red and white are lft and right stereo audio. The S connector is for audio. You MUST also have these same type of connectors installed as outputs on the back of your PC or it won't fly.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

The RCA's are NTSC connectors. Yellow is video. red and white are lft and right stereo audio. The S connector is for audio. You MUST also have these same type of connectors installed as outputs on the back of your PC or it won't fly.
              I do. that is what has me tempted.
              maybe get it on a wheeled cart, move it around out of the way.

the 2004, and my pc..they are generational together. I'll just take the big tv home i guess.

with the agp card, there is two types of video out, radio shack even has the different variants.
              my vid card has s connector, then from vga our or the other modern pin adapter to rca gets the other connector.
              the sound is the older 5.1 built into vid card.

with two video out, the tv can be marked as second monitor. I may have some of the cables in the vid card box, have not checked.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 15, 2012, 06:32 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Then your gravy davey!

If you put that monster on a cart.... remember your center of gravity.... they be heavy mama jamas
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                  I have not had a tv going in about ten years.

my dad has his 32 inch Philips last-of-giant-crt televsions. The repair of the tube at 1 year.
                  they opted for alighter LCD for cleaning purposes,etc.

anyway, he gave me the tv. Should I let it go ?

apr 2004 on the build date, has every plugin my computer plays with. that is my tempation...

the weight of it needs a couple of people, maybe one more for some doors.

I am way way out of the loop on this stuff, and decided lcd sucked a long time ago. Changing my mind is not hard to do, just walking through a department stores tv section..
                  I use a 32" Samsung LED TV for my monitor on my Computer, I don't think I'd ever go back to anything smaller than a 24" screen, so I say if anything use it as a monitor for your computer......

Comment

Then your gravy davey!

If you put that monster on a cart.... remember your center of gravity.... they be heavy mama jamas
                    I did pick up an end..
                    the year of it has microns less than .23, it is not that heavy, even with all glass front end. I am curious to see what they got in there.

the crt I use is post 2000 for the pc, pixel depth exceeds all cards..as infinite. The years of micron changes really did modern wonders. after 2000 it is bout as far as they went (video never cuaght up to it).
                    hd is something to giggle at, a circus act after learning them.
                    mpeg2 of the last generation still has many times the data. they went lightweight vids for kids on crack or adults in a hurry...then called it HD. ridiculous.
                    anyway, I am a fan of CRT as long they are around.

the vga big tv will be 15 feet from my eyeballs at a minumum.

I am curious to not process my mpeg2, as tv likes that. 10mbit 704x480..still an american standard at its typical tv maximum. I have been slowly processing the dense data for years to convert to pc shallowness....never gave it to the tv it was meant for.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2012, 08:05 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

I have a 30" CRT from 2001 sitting around. Obsoleted it with a 60" LED.

Anyway. a CRT that modern should have all the inputs. RCA (Yellow video, red & white Audio) Limited to standard def analog video.
                      DVI (white, video only) which supports digital HD. HDMI (trapezoid socket) supports HD and sound, optical (round socket) for fiber optic sound cables to your tuner, RGB (red, green, blue socket, looks like RCA) supports DVD quality video and HD video, and S-video (multi-pin round socket) supports standard def video only.

I'm sure you can make something work. CRT is a mature technology so it usually has the best picture availble counting things like resolution, black levels, motion artifacting, etc.

Good luck with it.

Comment

I've got a 32" CRT TV, but don't have cable now (I did in college). Use it for movies and videogames (gamecube or SEGA Genesis), but I've got netflix so I don't really watch movies on it and don't have time for games. It's only got RCA inputs. Got a new computer in January or February because my old one wasn't turning on (I've got plans to fix it and use it as a shop PC, but I don't have a shop so I'm not worried about it right now). The old one had S-video (seems that didn't last long), the new one HDMI and VGA. Long story short, how do I hook up a new pc to an old tv? Kinda relevant question. Is a digital to analog converter worth it? Would I even need it? Are there VGA to RCA cables, as they're both analog(though apparently different languages)? I really can't justify spending the extra $200-300 to replace it with an equivalently sized TV (I consider the new widescreens smaller because a 32" widescreen isn't as tall as a 32" crt, so you don't get as big of a picture).

Barry, at the least, gut it and make it a fish tank. (in college I tried to do that with a free 27", but I didn't want to spend money on it, and the plexiglass I was going to use for the inside kept breaking wrong. It would have been pretty cool though)

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                          Are there VGA to RCA cables, as they're both analog(though apparently different languages)? I really can't justify spending the extra $200-300 to replace it with an equivalently sized TV (I consider the new widescreens smaller because a 32" widescreen isn't as tall as a 32" crt, so you don't get as big of a picture).
                          you need a scan converter to 'translate' a VGA signal into NTSC (RCA). there are no cables that can just 'convert them'. I used to have a 37" NEC XM37plus computer monitor. it weighed just over 300lbs. and the image was fantastic. it put all these 'HD' flat panel lcd/led/plasma pics to shame. nuthin beats a CRT for clarity and motion capture. I got my monitor from when my workplace went out of business...it listed new for $7,000 - i paid $200! I used to be a Video Conferencing Integration Engineer.... in another life.
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                            I've got a 32" CRT TV, but don't have cable now (I did in college). Use it for movies and videogames (gamecube or SEGA Genesis), but I've got netflix so I don't really watch movies on it and don't have time for games. It's only got RCA inputs. Got a new computer in January or February because my old one wasn't turning on (I've got plans to fix it and use it as a shop PC, but I don't have a shop so I'm not worried about it right now). The old one had S-video (seems that didn't last long), the new one HDMI and VGA. Long story short, how do I hook up a new pc to an old tv? Kinda relevant question. Is a digital to analog converter worth it? Would I even need it? Are there VGA to RCA cables, as they're both analog(though apparently different languages)? I really can't justify spending the extra $200-300 to replace it with an equivalently sized TV (I consider the new widescreens smaller because a 32" widescreen isn't as tall as a 32" crt, so you don't get as big of a picture).

Barry, at the least, gut it and make it a fish tank. (in college I tried to do that with a free 27", but I didn't want to spend money on it, and the plexiglass I was going to use for the inside kept breaking wrong. It would have been pretty cool though)
                            digital to analog is not worth it. that would make a heck of a fish tank.
                            I agree about the S-video..I never even used it, and it faded away. it is was kinda cool to see the 2004 tv with it. some company was enthused enough to even add sound chip to my vid card, keep all cables right near each other.

I have sound on the pc that hooks up rca..so now I have two sources.I did not ask for that stuff, 2004 was simply like that.

I remember my dad wanting to park the 32inch for HD. I tried telling him he won't notice it...went and got the lightweight lcd anyway.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2012, 06:22 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
                              You don't watch TV now, don't start, its election year and it sux!
                              Ain't that the gospel truth.

Today a regional politician came to my workplace to canvass and schmooze the bigwigs at the site.

He showed up in a Hummer. I mean a Hummer, it looked bigger that most Hummers. Bigger than Rhode Island. Largantic. Huge. It eclipsed the afternoon sun. Big shadow on the building where it was parked.

What does that say? Sorry, that was politics. Ban me. Stiffshirts in sport coats, him and his two little junior assistants, budding little high school aspirational political assholes themselves, all in sport coats. In a Hummer. Sucking ass and burning gas.

Leaches. Social deviates. Did I say I hate politicians?
                              Last edited by pdub; August 17, 2012, 03:20 AM.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X