Can anyone here run a cardiac for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone here run a cardiac for me?

Just purchased a 1998 mustang gt and overall decent car. But after cleaning it up I found some things that make me go huh. The first thing is a barcode inside the glove box that says Illinois state police. The second is a plug in the center of the roof. Just like on my old crown Vic. Third, there is a box with a key inside the glovebox. From what I could read it says something about drivers air bag. It is in the off position. I really don't want to turn it on and get an airbag to the face.

Just trying to figure the past out of the car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Edit: Auto correct FAIL> Meant Car Fax
    Last edited by 1trickpony; September 3, 2012, 06:28 PM.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Sounds like an old cop car. How many miles? Might have been a DARE vehicle that I think get fewer miles and it seems like they'd replace 'em more often so that they look current to the kids.

Guessing, of course.

Might check with LS7GTO on the air bag. He works for a Ford dealer and is a FINE mechanic. No clue what the consequences could be for turning that switch. You can find him on the map page near Reading, PA.

Dan

Comment

can you see in the paint where there were decals on it ? has it been repainted ?

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Well it has over 200,000 on it. Not ruling out that it was a DARE or similar car. I cant tell if it every had decals on it. The only decals that I can tell were on it were some VERY tacky hood stripes that puked on to the fenders. Very trailer park.
        AS far as the interior, I really cant see anything that points towards computer/equipment mounts.
        I guess I really don't know about the barcode and the roof plug. I will go try and snap some pictures of those for you guys to decipher.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

sounds like how my merc was set up had a way to turn off the air bag, had a barcode int he glove box and the holes int he roof
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Heres some pictures of said items
            Roof Plug
            Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	863973
            Illinois State Police Barcode

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	863974
            Airbag shut off??

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	863975

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	863976
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

I'm going with dare car. Some drug dealers car that got seized. More pic please!
              used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X