No announcement yet.

School me on Jeep Cherokees ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going to have to disagree with you, Andy, in my experience Grand Cherokees are a flaw-filled POS.... There is a lady in my church who I've been helping for awhile that has a grand cherokee - it's broken so many times, and in so many ways, that I've seriously considered buying her something else to get my Sundays back. That's one, number two another friend of mine ones a Grand Cherokee, it's got more flaws then the poor lady in my church.
    And probably most importantly -
    There is a reason that Grand Cherokees are the same price as standard Cherokee - because they're junk, especially their transmissions.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hmmmm....that's interesting because I was under the impression that XJ's and Zj's are basically the same other than leaf spring vs. coil spring rear ends when equiped with the I6?

Now if you're talking about the WJ's, I have heard there are issues with the 45RFE and 545RFE.....
      I guess I've just been lucky so far with our '04 with 120,000 miles!

Comment

After much more tire kickin' ..... WHY IN THE HECK DO PEOPLE THINK THESE THINGS ARE WORTH SO MUCH DANG MONEY???

It may be time to re-evaluate. Found a 92 laredo, 212000 miles, fairly straight, looks to be all original. $4400 .... WTH? It does have a clean interior, but 212K .... really?

May have to start looking at Pathfinders ....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
          May have to start looking at Pathfinders ....
          Hope you have a good welder, the frames rot in 1/2 where the control arms bolt in.

Comment

Got an 02 that the wife drives ..... 153k ..... no rot on it.

Comment

I had a couple of Grand Cherokee Limiteds (V8's) that I beat the crap out of and towed (behind Motorhomes) and they held up well, just regular maintainence, I think I had around 150,000 on each of them when I sold them, as for gas mileage, we won't go there! The chassis had more miles then that because the miles won't register when being towed, the big attraction to me was they had the manual transfer cases!
              Last edited by Grumpy; September 29, 2012, 08:49 AM.
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Absolutely no luck finding a Cherokee .... around here they are pretty well roached, at least more used up than I want to get into....and forget about Grand Cherokees. Over the past week I have looked at at least a dozen. Anything worth a dam is in the 4-5k price range. While looking at one of the local dealers here, I came across a fresh trade 01 Ford Expedition. 100K on the clock and in it's un-detailed state it looks like the P/O took decent care of it. They weren't sure what they'd be asking for it, and I offered $3300 .... the sales manager bit (we had bought our current pathfinder from him a few years back). Since there is no way of getting around the dealer handling fee, they are detailing it 1st thing this morning and I'll pick it up after work ..... pics to follow.

Comment

heads crack on 2001 4.0 ..sucky aisin auto trans voodoo electronics

Comment

Another thing I've seen on the cheap Cherokees for sale around DFW... the 4.0L ones like to blow out the rear main seal and make a GIANT mess of oil under the hood. I'm sure that's great rustproofing but I'll pass. And then there's all the ones with bad transmissions and blown head gaskets. But $1400 should be enough to get a mid-90s not ate up with rust.

I do like the Grand Cherokees. Ex-father-in-law had a cherry red 1993 Limited with the 318 and he loved it, kept it for 15 years from new and then got an Acura MDX which he also loves.

Here's a 1998 GC Laredo, 2WD, 6-cylinder, water pump is done, radiator is done, it's $1800 and I bet $1400 would buy it. But it's local to me so probably a two day drive for you wherever you are:

Here's a 1999 regular Cherokee, 4x4, 4.0L, cold air, runs good, but it needs the hatch replaced and the rear bumper is tweaked. Missing a fender flare, wheels don't match. Dirty in and out. But who cares for $999? Don't like the color? Paint it or put a layer or five of plastidip on it. Camo? Whatever!

Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
                    1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

So here is the jeep cherokee I bought .... Looks a lot like an Expedition ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	864364

Comment

Nice, i like white fords...

Good looking truck IMO, I've not heard much negative about them.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

For what I paid for this, I could have got a Cherokee in 4X's worse shape and 200K+ miles .... Grand Cherokees are even more.

This has 100k, and is a 1 owner trade in that literally hit the lot the day before I looked at it. For $4600, the dealer threw in 4 free oil & filter changes and 3 year windshield repair/replacement.

Comment

Nice looking truck. Funny how things can lead you down a different path and come away plesently surprised.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I agree ..... when I was looking at the jeeps, momma was giving me the "really? why do you want one of those" looks. But she really likes the EXP .... way more roomier, and 3rd row seating. I even told her she should have it as her DD and I'd take over the Pathfinder, but she has grown attached to it and wants me to have the "new" car. No wonder I love her!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                                For what I paid for this, I could have got a Cherokee in 4X's worse shape and 200K+ miles .... Grand Cherokees are even more.

This has 100k, and is a 1 owner trade in that literally hit the lot the day before I looked at it. For $4600, the dealer threw in 4 free oil & filter changes and 3 year windshield repair/replacement.
                                Sometimes it seems like the import dealers flat out want the american cars off their lots lol. Good luck with the truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X