Legal question on lettering Motion Performance on my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question on lettering Motion Performance on my car

My 64 Vette is built according to my memory of my daydreams as a youth. A blue fastback Vette with blue tinted windows and the nose kicked up a bit. I daydreamt this car 1000 times in the 60's when I was 10-14 yrs old (and probly way beyond). This is my fantasy car. So, I was thinking about adding some lettering. I grew up near, and am a huge fan of Motion Performance. So, I was thinking about putting that on the fenders. Legal thoughts? Thanks
    Last edited by groucho; November 3, 2012, 06:14 PM.
    STUGOTS

Contact the man himself, Joel Rosen.
    58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

It's better to not ask for permission and just ask for forgiveness later...... Just do it, if they don't like it you'll get a nice letter form a Lawyer asking you to remove it........

Comment

If you ever use the car for any commercial purpose, you would likely start by getting a cease-and-desist. No big deal...you just remove it. If you made any money, they'll want it from you (and probably then some).

As a total private guy...not looking for financial gain...you could probably do it.

However, there will be morality/credibility issues, if the car never had anything to do with Motion. That is of-course your business, but think about it.

I think I still have a 3" round Motion sticker from mid '70s...I wish I could tell you I had two. That would look good in the rr window corner.

Comment

Would this be any different than all the Yenko clones?.....with the exception maybe
            they're not in business.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              Would this be any different than all the Yenko clones?.....with the exception maybe
              they're not in business.
              Good point. And many of those ARE built for capital gains
              STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                If you ever use the car for any commercial purpose, you would likely start by getting a cease-and-desist. No big deal...you just remove it. If you made any money, they'll want it from you (and probably then some).

As a total private guy...not looking for financial gain...you could probably do it.

However, there will be morality/credibility issues, if the car never had anything to do with Motion. That is of-course your business, but think about it.

I think I still have a 3" round Motion sticker from mid '70s...I wish I could tell you I had two. That would look good in the rr window corner.
                I understand the morality issues. But, like I said it's my fantasy car. Something that's been in my head since a child. I wouldn't use the lettering for financial gain, so what you say makes good sense. I also have thought of "Crossroads Chevrolet". The name of a local dealer that I got a lot of parts from in the 70's. But I'm a big fan of Motion. I got a free catolog from them in 68 at a car show in New York when I was 13. Great stuff.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by groucho; November 3, 2012, 07:22 PM.
                STUGOTS

Comment

If these guys haven't been sued then I think your safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1922_tuning-macdonalds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	864799
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15078[/ATTACH]
                    OMG, where did you come up with that, I've got tears in my eyes!
                    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Geezus........that's funny!
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by gary 351c View Post
                        if these guys haven't been sued then i think your safe.

lmao
                        STUGOTS

Comment

that's just so wrong on in so many levels
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Hopefully there's a huge difference between what they could do and what they will do. Legally speaking, using a trademark, whether or not it's for gain or not, subjects you to the possibility of a lawsuit.

TC - not good advice, trust me on that. There is no law that says you have to send a cease and desist letter.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This is to funny had to stop and say. Just do it and dont worrie about it.
                              "You Don't Get Old And Stop Racing" You Get Old When You Stop Racing"

Comment

Working...
                              X