car companies that started off in aviation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car companies that started off in aviation

I wanted to learn this a long time ago, am trying to find stuff on my hacked up net (seems there is a timestamp problem right now)

I know of BMW, they made engines

Packard, they made engines..

the most frightening is subaru..elusive in history, alot of years of their cars had chassis containing a rock engine for small airplanes...and never spoke much of it.

they were some other company name that made some famous ww2 planes..

was searching if ford or dodge or a branch of history preceeding an american company made aviation parts.

being a v8 prone society, we would have benz crank self balanced v8s if any were aviators...am still curious.

the biggest thing america has done as far as history evolving from a previous purpose built company, was road building diesels slapped into tractor trailers..even if it ain't right. (that somehow freakishly became a world wobbling standard)

fun facts out there..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 7, 2012, 08:09 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Mitsbishi(spl) built the Zero and other Japeness aircraft.
    Rolls Royce built engines,but Im not sure if it was before or during automoble construction.
    I believe Lycolming and Continintal built engines for cars also.
    Ford built the Tri Motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
      Mitsbishi(spl) built the Zero and other Japeness aircraft.
      Rolls Royce built engines,but Im not sure if it was before or during automoble construction.
      I believe Lycolming and Continintal built engines for cars also.
      Ford built the Tri Motor.
      it seems euro brags of aero origin... japan hides it...
      toyota and subaru.

the mistubishi story is weird..as the car variant of their company only has a name mathcing an old aviation, yet has nothing to do with it at all in their cars.
      subaru literally applied aviation engineering remnants, some fukishima something, they made engines...toyota takes big self declared leaps like that as well...and says nothing about the past. the 72 degree v10? that is no normal car bound joke...

wings for a logo.. would be nice to see the real things. Cars that use it, its like the mistubishi story... only a name, no connection.

lycoming for cars would be damn cool. Corvair engine? it is a self balance attempt at 4 main bearings..very aviation oriented indeed.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 7, 2012, 09:55 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

How about THIS?
        Which American auto maker started out making farm wagons and horse-drawn buggys?
        ONE! - Studebaker was established in 1852.
        Their first auto was produced in 1903 - an electric.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

They had a good run.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Tucker started from military/aviation.

Welcome to The Tucker Automobile Club of America. Become a member Today!

Comment

Ford's attempt at a Model T for the skies.

Last edited by Beagle; December 8, 2012, 06:35 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Packard didn't start in aviation. They did, however, step up to the plate for WWII and did a great job, including among other things refining the RR engines to the point that they were VASTLY superior to the English-made units.

However, SAAB definitely started in aviation. SAAB is an acronym for Swedish Aircraft AB (the Swedish equivalent of "inc".) And Ford built many of the US WWII bombers at the Willow Run, MI plant - B24s I think. The movie "The Doll Maker" was made about that.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; December 8, 2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I knew I forgot saab..they veered way off anyway. the last attempt at a balance had a transaxle and longitudinal engine. why does the world give that design such hell..supercars get away with it. my old sube still has it today..

I did not know that bout studebaker.. that is a very long run.

I only guess caterpillar might be in just as long..still going.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                  X