Spec a Cheap Nitrous Motor......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec a Cheap Nitrous Motor......

So I'm thinking that the 305 in the Monte just doesn't have what it takes, so I'm thinking of piecing together a cheap($2500ish) nitrous motor build.... I still have the small block out of my '71 GMC so I have a block, I just scored a Scat 4340 forged crank(3.48 stroke) off ebay for a song, so now I just need the rest of the internals, I'm thinking 6" 4340 H-beam rods and forged pistons.... As for heads I'm thinking a set of procomps, you can get a pair of aluminum ones fully assembled for around $600..... And I already have a NOS big shot system..... So if you were going to build a nitrous motor for under $2500 how would you do it??

Put the big shot with little jets on the 305!

I have an NOS system for the Explorer intake on my mustang $500 jy motor $400 NOS system 150 shot should be fun! To bad I am smart enough to know I don't know what I am doing and it is still in the closet. CL impulse buy
    Last edited by Russell; February 13, 2013, 12:41 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Slap it together and pull the pin if its a chevy that cheap.

Comment

I would put a wet system in my Mustang and pocket the rest of the money. A 175 shot would be more than enough for me...been eyeballing the Zex system....
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Did you not read the outsider's DW review on brand Z nitrous?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

383, forged pistons, aftermarket rods, 190-210 cc heads, 9.5:1 if iron, 268 HR, 1 3/4 hookers, RPM Air Gap, 750 holley, plate. I found the recipe in a box of cracker jacks this morning.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

is this motor supposed to live? I thought this car was getting the super hifi double throw down motor?

if the su-fi motor is destined for this car, spray the 305 til it sees its "higher being"
              Charles

Comment

So is the '99 now stuck in two post lift Camaro? It is a step up from the jack stand one though.
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                  is this motor supposed to live? I thought this car was getting the super hifi double throw down motor?

if the su-fi motor is destined for this car, spray the 305 til it sees its "higher being"
                  Yes the Monte is getting the turbo motor, but I got to thinking, that as I do all the suspension and chassis work to the car I could through the 350 out of my GMC into it... I figure I'd beef it up a bit and just spray the crap out of it, that way I can use that motor to help dial in the suspension before putting the turbo motor in it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                    So is the '99 now stuck in two post lift Camaro? It is a step up from the jack stand one though.
                    Not stuck just a bit of work to do to it, got the new oil pan on today, I have a thread in the Project car section....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Yes the Monte is getting the turbo motor, but I got to thinking, that as I do all the suspension and chassis work to the car I could through the 350 out of my GMC into it... I figure I'd beef it up a bit and just spray the crap out of it, that way I can use that motor to help dial in the suspension before putting the turbo motor in it.....

you must have metric tonnage of cash to dump 2500 in a temp motor. I would think the suspension would work different with the 2 different motors. just me i guess.
                      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                        you must have metric tonnage of cash to dump 2500 in a temp motor. I would think the suspension would work different with the 2 different motors. just me i guess.
                        It's not really a temp motor than a motor that will make it's way into another car, I just want to build it as cheap as I can, I do have some parts that have been sitting around for years, so that will help, I have a block, a 4340 crank(just got), a Holley Strip Dominator intake, a 800 holley DP, and a head stud kit and a few other odds and ends....... As for heads and a cam I'm thinking these....

Heads....

Camshaft kit..... ( I may be able to source this cheaper locally..)

As for suspension setup, sure their will be tweaks, but it will get me to a certain point, mainly sorting out that the car launches straight...... It also give me time to adjust to the power levels and learn the characteristics of the car, before I go hog wild with the turbo motor...... I'm thinking like a 400hp motor naturally aspirated, and then working my way up to the 350 shot......
                        Last edited by TC; February 13, 2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Yawn...
                          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
                            Yawn...

I agree.

leave the stuff alone..and that chassis hates snaps.
                            stay nice until turbo.

how bout routing for gauges, wiring to add and the suspension. 2500 could be gone in a hurry elsewhere.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

you will want a 5.85 rod the 6 inch rod will not be a good ring set up for spraying
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X