Purists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purists

Definition: A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences.

A recent discussion has me wondering this. How many people on here are or would consider themselves purists? Someone who thinks muscle cars should only have 14" and 15" factory sized wheels. That cross-brand engine swaps are not ok. That altering the shape and style of a 'classic' body is a no-no. That you must keep the 50 year old suspension design and geometry that's trying to kill you.

I'm surprised to find anyone like this on a forum like this that caters to junk-yarders and low budget go-faster freaks. From the days on car junkies and forum freaks to current bangshifters, this place has been the furthest thing from being a purists forum. But, they walk amongst us!
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

some get away with it.
    nice locales, stable temps.

attempting just the fuel changes since the 40s to today...yeah right.

I have got an old monojet that tells it like it is. This year has a main jet it has never had..just to be normal. Can't do an old full plenum, and cannot do a modern tight skinny boot...it all changes.

purist is impossible. ambiguous.

impossibly successful with no change? never heard of it in the classic sense.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think there's alot of grey area here. Some people are way too anal about stuff when it come to originality of cars. Like guys paying $2000 for a correct date coded something-or-other when a $75 part will probably work better. I'm somewhere in the middle I guess, I hate to see nice original cars hacked up but if it's already been rode hard and put away wet then have at it. There's an article in the new March 2013 Muscle Car Review about a guy who owns a '79 Z-28 with 2,996 miles on it and he refuses to drive it because he thinks once it turns 3,000 miles it's value will decrease. I'd pull the 175 hp weezer, drop in an LS and drive it. The car hobby is alot of things to alot of people, different strokes I guess.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Im kinda that way with some stuff, I like to see an Olds in an Olds and so forth but Im not paying 5 hundred bucks for a radiator hose either.

Comment

Purists don't know racing history, car building history, hot rodding history. They are just a bunch of elitist dorks who need to get over their country club attitudes.

I laugh at those bozos who spend dozens of hours and thousands of dollars to get the correct overspray on their engines, every little chalk mark left by the original builders, and get the correct bolts with the correct plating everywhere in the car. They need to get that stick out of their butts. They don't drive their precious "numbers matching" Barrett-Jackson bait cars anyways, so screw 'em.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Purists are fun to piss off.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
              Purists are fun to piss off.
              Yep, I'm about to shit can my numbers matching, date coded cylinder heads off my super rare optioned Caprice. (1 of 3411 with rear window defogger, one of 9400 with Light Watch, one of less 10,000 with the Comfortron A/C. I know you Mopar guys like to quote build numbers. Before you say that ain't that rare, remember there were 900,000 full size Chevy's built in 1970. Mopar didn't build 900,000 cars and trucks in total in any year. So.. Pfffttttttt!!!!)

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I still have the factory paint marks on the 4 foot of orginal frame left on my 57!

Comment

I think the perfectly restored muscle cars are cool but after a while they all look the same. I went to a Corvette and muscle car show and after a half hour it was like looking at the same cars over and over, just in a different color. The first time I redid my car I did it the way everyone thought it should be and it was ok. After that I have been building the way I want it and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Most classics don't look good with rubber band tires IMO, and I'm not a fan of cross-brand engine swaps in most cases. I don't mind modifications though, just certain ones. If that makes me a purist, than I guess I am, if not, I don't really care either way. I'll still be able to sleep at night.

Comment

Anyone seen an LS6 Chevelle with those tiny 14" tires and wheels that were stock? They look rediculously tiny in those monster buldging wheel wells. Most were pitched in the dumpster a week after the car got home in 1970. People seem to forget that. It's also why people ordered the cheapest wheel/ hubcap combo from the dealer. Can you say painted steelies and dog dishes anyone? They were tossed in the back of the garage for a set of Cragars and fat tires almost immediately. It was no different in the 80's. I know, I was buying the take offs for my '69 Impala SS that came off of Camaros and Firebirds every month.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Purist opposite here. Most purists are a real pain in the ass. I've thrown more than one out of my shop
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          Anyone seen an LS6 Chevelle with those tiny 14" tires and wheels that were stock? They look rediculously tiny in those monster buldging wheel wells..
                          I don't think they look bad at all

Last edited by groucho; February 18, 2013, 05:12 PM.
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                            I don't think they look bad at all

Puny. Need N50's on 15x10's to fill up that big hole.

Much better.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Puny. Need N50's on 15x10's to fill up that big hole.

Much better.
                              I ran 70 z28 15"r's with L-60 firestone Super Sports on my 70 396 SS Chevelle... loved that look after i dropped the nose 2"
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X