I stood above Henry Ford's grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stood above Henry Ford's grave

A few months back our patrols took us to the west side, our should I say our need for fuel. While on our way back I asked my scout car partner, who is also into cars, "Hey, you ever see Henry Ford's grave?" He hadn't, but knew it was in the city. Ironically, he had googled it just recently, as he was curious where he was buried.

I had previously worked the precinct he is buried in, and have stopped by the spot a couple of times. Sadly, the spot is kind of in the hood, but considering the graveyard is at a church site, I would consider it a relatively safe stop for visitors. The graveyard is filled with what appears to be every Ford family member dating back to the 1800's.

Standing in front of Henry Ford's grave is somewhat surreal. I've stumble past where the Dodge brothers lie, and maybe even Durant and Chevrolet, I really can't recall. That said, none of them changed the world in the same way that Henry Ford did. This guy was worshiped while alive, to a level in which I didn't even realize until walking through a display at Henry Ford Museum some years back. When he passed, people from all over the world grieved. While alive, people from all over the world send letters of appreciation for the cars he built.

For a gearhead, it was a pretty cool experience. Some people worship Elvis, other rock stars, or even world leaders. For me, visiting Henry Ford's grave ranked up there with any famous celebrity or leader.

For those wishing to pay a visit, the graveyard is located on Joy Rd just east of Southfield freeway in Detroit, MI.
    Motor City Muscle

That's bitchin'. In Boston, lots of the revolutionary war patriots are buried. I'm putting that spot on my list of places to see.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Like all great changers of history, he was a multi-faceted man. Lots of good, lots of not-so-good. Good to remember what he accomplished, for sure.

Dan

Comment

I just remembered that I snapped a picture that night. Yes, there are bars over the grave to prevent grave robbers from disturbing him.
        Attached Files
        Motor City Muscle

Comment

One of these days I'm going to make a list of movers and shakers in the auto industry's infancy, as most all are buried here in Detroit, and do a cemetary tour and take some pictures.
          Motor City Muscle

Comment

Thanks for Sharing - he was an amazing man - and I'm very proud to work for his company.

Like any human being he was not without faults, but he had an unquestionable influence on the modern world.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Where at? I worked at Ford's POEE (Power Operations Engine Engineering) back in 2001-2002. Sadly, I see they left that historic building in recent years. Not sure if you were ever in there, but they had Henry Ford's office plexiglassed in. As well as a steel support beam in the building that had Thomas Edison and Henry Ford "chain of command" as Edison saw it, scribbled on the column. I can't say I miss the corporate world, but I do miss many of the people and history.
              Motor City Muscle

Comment

I've stood in front of that office - but never worked at POEE - that building had lots of issues and was not practical to modernize I'm afraid - I think it's going to be part of the Henry Ford Museum - similar to the Fairlane estate - an amazing building in it's own right.

I've worked in a few buildings since I started in 2000 - I'm right off I94 now in the allen park test lab.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

PBS had a series on Henry Ford.. Very interesting.. Bit of an eccentric..
                  American Experience.. It is still avaiable online.. Look up PBS.org
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; March 13, 2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Milner,

When I worked there, Ford was already leasing it from Henry Ford/Greenfield Village for $1 a year. It was an amazing building, holding about 3,000 employees while I was there if memory serves me. That's an amazing number of people, with relatively few walls, it looked massive inside! I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are tunnels that connect many of the buildings in Dearborn, including POEE. In fact, Henry Ford use to commute to work via a tunnel from his Fairlane home! I'm not sure if this part is true or not, but I was told when they bricked up many of the tunnels, the Model T was left down there. I'd guess that is more urban legend than reality, but I saw the tunnels opening first hand, so the tunnels DO exist.
                    Motor City Muscle

Comment

^^ Watch the "American Experience " program on PBS.org!

Really!

Comment

Originally posted by Supersport350 View Post
                        One of these days I'm going to make a list of movers and shakers in the auto industry's infancy, as most all are buried here in Detroit, and do a cemetary tour and take some pictures.
                        Sounds like a decent coffee table book is in the works to me
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Dan, others in the Indy area - are the Deusenberg brothers and Leo Goosen buried there? It would be interesting to go hang out with them, too.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X