Clutches, are they all crated equil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutches, are they all crated equil?

So, not really a tech question...just kinda kikcing around some ideas.

I hate the clutch in the Mustang...and hate is being kind. There is no bite, it is hard as hell to launch because you can barely feel where it engages. It doesnt slip, there is no noise and this is a common complaint among Mustang owners who DRIVE their cars.

So, I have been reading and kicking around the idea of upgrading the clutch...sooner than late..because, as I said...I hate it. I want something that feels like a sports car rather than some cushy luxo barge....

So, are they all the same, brands better than others...so on and so on...

Discuss.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Is it a function of the clutch or a function of the hydraulic throw out bearing?

Clutch reviews are all over the map. Dozens of haters for each brand and dozens of promoters for each brand.

I've always used Centerforce.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

its just soft, there is no feel to it...hard to describe but I grew up driving stick shift tow trucks and big old pickups with cluthches that bit hard when the engage and that tooks some effort to depress the clutch.

Most of the forum with clutch complaints are akin to when I describe...Its just soft...no feel..which makes for difficult launches and I dont like dumping the clutch cuz I would like to keep the rear end in one piece.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

A clutch that is more strip and less street will have more bite, but they are a bit annoying to drive on the street, especially from a stop. If that is what you want, go for it. You may need to change the flywheel too.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here we go again - Randal is the only guy I know and trust who likes centerforce - I've heard lots and lots of horror stories from both guys I know and trust, and guys I don't know at all.

For your car - I would look into a ford motorsport upgrade if one is available - it won't be the cheapest option but it may very well be the best all around fit and least amount of hassle with the best feel in the end.

It sounds to me like making a change in the hydraulic system may yield a positive result without having to drop the transmission at all - can you install a smaller bore master cylinder or adjust the lever arm on the pedal to change the feel?

If it doesn't slip or chatter - I would look to change something else in the system to adjust the feel - instead of dropping the trans and swapping out the pressure plate and disc as a first step.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

being a mustang with these problems is easy.

options everywhere.

to think it out fro scratch..
            scrap hydraulic and stay a single disc with some dampening springs.

all kinds of old school normal there, I know what you are missing.

I went with spec clutches, the jap mobile I run only had one choice for heterosexual american males. Spec does good by me.. and I also learned by installing that none of the oe were even balanced, just slapped together.

mustang ought to be fun and easy to get what you want, many years there...just don't go all out solid disc springless, that is crazy. A .25 mile only setup is that close for a mustang.

If it helps, my first f100, 302, 3 speed. Hard clutch and had to ride the tall first gear.. I know why they went hydraulic in later years. I could even feel each and every cylinder letting clutch out...

4 and 5 speed, they can get more of a dump.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 8, 2013, 10:34 AM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

For your car - I would look into a ford motorsport upgrade if one is available - it won't be the cheapest option but it may very well be the best all around fit and least amount of hassle with the best feel in the end.

It sounds to me like making a change in the hydraulic system may yield a positive result without having to drop the transmission at all - can you install a smaller bore master cylinder or adjust the lever arm on the pedal to change the feel?

If it doesn't slip or chatter - I would look to change something else in the system to adjust the feel - instead of dropping the trans and swapping out the pressure plate and disc as a first step.
              Most guys are going to a stage II from Exedy, and is a street/strip clutch...a little more bite for the strip with a little less harshness for the street....Most of those who have changed the clutch out on the S197 have mentioned noticeable improvements in acceleration too (another reason for the change I didnt mention earlier). There is one by RAM but I have heard some nasty things about their clutches, there is Findanza and Spec too...I think if I do this...the Exedy will be the go to unit. It has good reviews, sounds liek it is what I am looking for and is priced right IMO. http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...ch-0510gt.html

I know my way around a car but when it comes to building for performance...well, thats a relatively new arena for me so I ask a lot of questions...any input is always appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                Is it a function of the clutch or a function of the hydraulic throw out bearing?

Clutch reviews are all over the map. Dozens of haters for each brand and dozens of promoters for each brand.

I've always used Centerforce.
                X2 on the Centerforce....... They are up in Prescott.....
                Last edited by TC; April 8, 2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Another thing to consider is that there is probably a restriction orifice in the clutch hydraulics limiting how fast the clutch can be released. On LS1 F-bodies, it was integral to the fitting on the MC end of the clutch hydraulic line. Something like a 1/16" drill thru in a 1/8" fitting. Easy fix with a drill bit... if you know where the restriction is.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
                    Another thing to consider is that there is probably a restriction orifice in the clutch hydraulics limiting how fast the clutch can be released. On LS1 F-bodies, it was integral to the fitting on the MC end of the clutch hydraulic line. Something like a 1/16" drill thru in a 1/8" fitting. Easy fix with a drill bit... if you know where the restriction is.
                    This, or if the OE master has an overly large bore can create a soft feel.

Comment

There are no aftermarket masters or slaves and none of the forums seem to know anything about modifying to get better pedal feel but...its seems I am not alone...the biggest complaint about these cars is the clutch feel, high rpm shifting, launches....

Someone did their homework and there are items to fix up the GM F body but alas, the Mustang faitful are left to wallow in their own filth as the GM guys shift hard and fast with good pedal feel....bastards.

Everything I do read says that the pedal feel, high RPM shifting and launches all improve with on of the beefier clutch. I have read a few reviews about Centerforce and they do make a clutch for the car so I may entertain it if the price is good. I think that I may look into flywheels too as there were some other issues that seem to pop up after time with these....

fun stuff.

Comment

Name your brand, I'll find you a hater, lol.

Fords are fantastic, hence why no one feels the need to improve on their most awesomly engineered designs

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          Name your brand, I'll find you a hater, lol.

Fords are fantastic, hence why no one feels the need to improve on their most awesomly engineered designs

Agreed, I take all negative reviews with a grain of salt....

If youre an old woman who wants a new Mustang to remind her of the one she had as a teen then this particular design is perfect...If youre a hammer fisted, lead footed ape who drives everything like its is stolen...not so much.

Comment

Torque management via the Clutch??

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              Torque management via the Clutch??

Top a degree yes, there is a lot of complaints that it can be a little slippy (its a word..in Pittsburgh)I also think it is just something they (ford) did to keep older drivers happy, it shifts effortlessly, smoothly..but a feather could depress the clutch and trying to find where it engages is like finding a virgin in a whore house...I can drive a stick and drive one well and I stall this thing more often that I would like to admit among this crowd....HATE IT!
                              Last edited by JOES66FURY; April 8, 2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X