Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groucho View Post
    I'd love to see that. Push for it
    I will if you bug your buddies for a block. We are willing to pay for one.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
      I'm going to guess they'd cut out the offending area and match in the replacement section, then heat the whole thing up and do a careful job of welding. Cooling/annealing would be slooow. At least, that's what I'd imagine...you'd have to have some good experience w/ cast iron to take that on with any confidence.

Brain Fart Alert: I'm not 2 hours from you, it's three. Last time I went to Costa Mesa, that was two and that's what I was thinking.

There's gotta be junk blocks closer, it would take more in gas/time than what it's worth...but in any event I've got a '90 305 in the scrap pile right now, and there's a mid-'80s 350 that could be gutted and go.
      I will let them know of your offer today. Not sure how much of a hurry everyone is in.

Here's the offending block. Not sure if Garrick will fix the fuel pump boss. This was a 434 and didn't use it anyways.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 22, 2013, 11:16 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Scott, you guys will be much better off to junk that block. I don't think fixing it is worth the effort. I suggest getting another one.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
          Scott, you guys will be much better off to junk that block. I don't think fixing it is worth the effort. I suggest getting another one.
          We have a machinist, Kelly's Block Welding, in LA who has done this stuff for forty years who disagrees.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            We have a machinist, Kelly's Block Welding, in LA who has done this stuff for forty years who disagrees.
            Scott, I am not saying it cannot be repaired. I can weld that block. Just sayinv you would be better off replacing it for the time and money and fooling around, after which it will still be tainted because it is just a welded broken block. If it was something rareor hard to replace it would be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
              Scott, I am not saying it cannot be repaired. I can weld that block. Just sayinv you would be better off replacing it for the time and money and fooling around, after which it will still be tainted because it is just a welded broken block. If it was something rareor hard to replace it would be a different story.
              I am not involved in this decision making. I am just trying to help a friend out. He thinks its worth it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I am to far away to help, but seeing how they save this is interesting.
                Last edited by nesabo; June 22, 2013, 01:56 PM.
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I will if you bug your buddies for a block. We are willing to pay for one.
                  I already put a call in to my machinist
                  STUGOTS

Comment

How much $$$$ would it be for one of those blocks? Deduct the cost/effort for the donor block, the running around, and the actual repair costs.........................oh, peace of mind of not having a "doctored" block................
                    Last edited by groucho; June 22, 2013, 05:21 PM.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                      How much $$$$ would it be for one of those blocks? Deduct the cost/effort for the donor block, the running around, and the actual repair costs.........................oh, peace of mind of not having a "doctored" block................
                      It's a Dart Little M block. $2300 new, before machining. Bore was opened to 4.155. Not sure of what else was done.

Free Shipping - Dart Little M Sportsman Series Small Block Chevy Cast Iron Bare Blocks with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Engines, Bare Blocks at Summit Racing.

$500 estimated repair cost, plus up to $100 for a donor block, not including running around to find a donor. If Garrick says it will hold up after the repair, then I would believe him. He has been my machinist for a decade and always done a great job for a fair price. He is currently working on everything from marine diesel six bangers to a pair of Aston Martin DB4 sixers. He just finished rebuilding a pair of Ferrari 275 GTB V12's.

This will never be a race engine. Never was. But, this whole deal is about recovering some lost money from the customer's wreck. We already fixed the GearVendors. The heads, pistons and rods checked out fine. Not sure about the crank because the balancer's bolt broke in the wreck. The car was stripped of all of it's parts to help cover outstanding bill.
                      Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 22, 2013, 06:50 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So....... since you stripped it of the parts, does that mean the gear vendors might be for sale?
                        Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

ok I just CANNOT resist this, since no one else has said it-aren't ALL sbc's JUNK? go ahead, flame away......teeee heee
                          67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                          05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                            So....... since you stripped it of the parts, does that mean the gear vendors might be for sale?
                            Not at this moment. Yannick is on the fence for sticking it behind the TH400 in Priapism. Though, he keeps talking about a six speed.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

too bad you aren't here
                              we have 1 265 and 3 283s you can use for as long as you want -1 396 too

Comment

Have you looked for a used Little M? I would exhaust all options before patching that block. Was the fuel pump boss damaged too?
                                It's a Dart Little M block. $2300 new, before machining. Bore was opened to 4.155. Not sure of what else was done.

Free Shipping - Dart Little M Sportsman Series Small Block Chevy Cast Iron Bare Blocks with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Engines, Bare Blocks at Summit Racing.

$500 estimated repair cost, plus up to $100 for a donor block, not including running around to find a donor. If Garrick says it will hold up after the repair, then I would believe him. He has been my machinist for a decade and always done a great job for a fair price. He is currently working on everything from marine diesel six bangers to a pair of Aston Martin DB4 sixers. He just finished rebuilding a pair of Ferrari 275 GTB V12's.

This will never be a race engine. Never was. But, this whole deal is about recovering some lost money from the customer's wreck. We already fixed the GearVendors. The heads, pistons and rods checked out fine. Not sure about the crank because the balancer's bolt broke in the wreck. The car was stripped of all of it's parts to help cover outstanding bill.
                                Last edited by groucho; June 23, 2013, 07:07 AM.
                                STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                                X