Expensive oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive oil change

how about going to Orielly's auto parts to get oil ,filters and additives for my Camaro and leave almost $100 less than i had before entering the store !!

(2) Fram HP1 oil filters

(9) qts 50 wt valvoline VR1 oil

(1) bottle of lucas oil stabilizer
    Last edited by oldschoolcamaro; July 18, 2013, 07:14 PM.
    "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

holy cow.

1 oil change?

I fell for the 5 quart jug of Castrol for 20 bucks recently, advanced auto.

I went to a reusable billet filter a couple of years ago..earned itself back in more than the 100 bucks dished out for it already.

my oil change is still the price of a 1990s quicklube..and I get to see what is inside the filter. That is actually a treehuggers item as well. A feel good part to have.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      holy cow.

1 oil change?

I fell for the 5 quart jug of Castrol for 20 bucks recently, advanced auto.

I went to a reusable billet filter a couple of years ago..earned itself back in more than the 100 bucks dished out for it already.

my oil change is still the price of a 1990s quicklube..and I get to see what is inside the filter. That is actually a treehuggers item as well. A feel good part to have.

1qt of valvoline VR1 50wt is $5.25ea

(1) Fram HP1 filter is $13.99

(1) bottle of Lucas hvy duty oil stabilizer $12.99

and i'm using this set up so including the stock capacity pan plus this dual oil filter set up it's almost 8 qts capacity

Comment

once this pan is installed it will be 10 qts for the pan plus 2 qts for the filters and maybe a a little more for ea line ...

Comment

5 qts walmart brand 5W30 $12.something
          1 normal filter $4.something

I guess I'm doing it wrong.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Forget who, but some big name company makes Walmart oil, they just put their label on it..
            Can't be too wrong, I do it too...

Comment

your doing it regular,
              he got a monster setup.

I have a garage to myself the next week.. I may grab the spare rinky dink boxer oil pan and make a bigger one.. like one of those old moroso fat bottoms.

6 quarts for 1781 should be normal...
              a fear some years ago brought up was sucking the sump dry. I never had that problem even at 9 k rpm.

this heatwave stuff is getting darn serious, more oil is good.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                your doing it regular,
                he got a monster setup.
                I just have a blown big block.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm in the middle I guess, I run Valvoline 10-30 from Walmart, but on the other end I use K&N filters.........
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

If you have a carquest nearby their brand filter is a WIX. They have the 5 qts and filter for 20 bucks or so as well.

Comment

Be glad you dont have a dry sump. You would be buying oil by the gallon.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Try buying for a BMW 3 series.... 9 quarts of 100% synthetic plus filter. The only good-side, is it only needs changing every 15k miles or so... but still, it's a quick loss of $100
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

nope you're doing it right i just use Valvoline VR1 50wt in the summer and into the fall months and 20/50 VR1 in the winter , what sucks is almost all the auto parts stores want $5 or more per qt

Comment

At first I read the topictitle as Excessive Oil Change... But then realised you said Expensive.
                            But, if you change oils every during every summer and winter, that's still kinda excessive and therefore expensive to me. ;)
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
                              1qt of valvoline VR1 50wt is $5.25ea

(1) Fram HP1 filter is $13.99

(1) bottle of Lucas hvy duty oil stabilizer $12.99

and i'm using this set up so including the stock capacity pan plus this dual oil filter set up it's almost 8 qts capacity

buy the filters when on sale and have 1-2 in stock, or buy online when you order other crap,
                              the lucas is 14.99 here, so don't feel bad, oil, again buy on sale and keep stock..
                              you'll also get a better deal on the oil if you buy a few cases at a time, I bought mobil1 at 3.68 a qt because I bought 6 cases at once.. try hitting the parts store with a cermercial counter..
                              also ,like advanced, they have specials online, you order on line pick up in store, buy 50.oo and get a 25 buck coupon off next order, and 15% off this order, so next order is 50% off, as you have to spent(ring up) 50.oo to use the 25.00 off, but that's 50% off. so buy the oil online,instore pick up, and get a 25.00 coupon.. that not a bad deal,only down side is you can't use the coupon on oil/trans fluid but you can buy the oil on the first order to get the coupon autozone does specials online also.. napa might, orilies must..
                              just a thought..
                              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; July 19, 2013, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X