No announcement yet.

Vintage Top Fuel Hemi Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fascinating as hell looking at the pictures. The porting work looks well done, meaning blended nicely. I wonder how much better compared to a stock or even a 354 head.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My guess is around 270-280cfm on the intake and around 250 on the exhaust for peak numbers. The intake port is choked up pretty good and the exhaust side is huge. I have a port design that does 410+ cfm on a factory stock casting (not a 392 casting like this one). I lost two flowbench motors this week so I'm waiting for the replacements to show up to flow test this head.
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Nick - Do you have a SuperFlow bench? We had one at work and I was sometimes able to use it after hours. I really didn't have anything that needed a bunch of flowbench work at that time but it was WAY cool to be able to measure what I had.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Nick - Do you have a SuperFlow bench? We had one at work and I was sometimes able to use it after hours. I really didn't have anything that needed a bunch of flowbench work at that time but it was WAY cool to be able to measure what I had.

Dan
          I have a Saenz S-600 which is very similar to the Superflow. Mine just has one extra motor. I'm looking into building a custom one with more capacity.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Sorry it took me awhile to get at flowing this head, my shop has been full of work lately!
            Anyways, in case you ever wondered what a Top Fuel Early Hemi head flowed from back in 1669-70 here is what it looked like!

Nick Smithberg
            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Pretty much what you thought. I guess you've done this once or twice before
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

almost makes me wonder if there's anything left in the exhaust port... flip the lobes, put a bunch of webers on the exhaust ports, run the new exhaust out the old intake!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Nope, keep in mind this was done before flow benches. The work (especially in the seat area) would be considered crude by today's standards but I understand what was trying to be done. For comparison I have a CNC program for a Factory Iron 331 head that does 400+ cfm on the intake using a 2.200 valve and my flow curve is very similar on the exhaust side with a .150 smaller valve. Much more efficient!
                  Nick Smithberg
                  www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

We humans keep learning! Amazing what's been found out in the last couple of decades.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      almost makes me wonder if there's anything left in the exhaust port... flip the lobes, put a bunch of webers on the exhaust ports, run the new exhaust out the old intake!
                      that is for subarus.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                      X