Should I fear Windows 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I fear Windows 8?

Well the wife and kid took over my old laptop which leaves me with my work laptop. I don't like using it for personal use so I need to get one a new one. I've been looking at refurbished Asus on tiger direct, my last one was one of these. I was very, very happy with it. I'm looking at the sub $400 range.

I've heard horror stories from many people how they hate win8. All the ones I've been looking at are win8. So edumacate me, thanks.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Expect a learning curve for the new UI. It was faster and stabler on the machine I ran it on at work than Win 7, which is saying something. The UI blows, I haven't looked at "Blue" (8.1), but I have been told they give you back the start button. It's not so much different than modern phones, so whether you hate it or like it might depend on how much you use a modern phone. It's exactly like a Windows phone.

PM sent -
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My wife inadvertently upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0 and it has screwed up her life royally. If the machine has 8.1 natively, it should be fine.

Comment

I just upgraded my machine from 8 to 8.1.......so far so good. Yes, definite learning curve, but good results once you convince it to stop trying to think for you.....it tries to use apps instead of user input sometimes.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Since I'm probly headed in that direction, I sadly wish I knew a fraction of the shit you guys have posted here. (still rockin a "dumb" phone)
          STUGOTS

Comment

Re W8: No

Comment

What's a ui?

Comment

User Interface, I think.......
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yes! That is, fear Windows anything. Buy a MAC and live a life of peace and happiness. I'm on my new MAC Mini as I type this.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X