dieselgeek in HRM Ridler 40 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dieselgeek in HRM Ridler 40 Ford

Scott saved the day for the Ridler winner in the latest Hot Rod mag. I happen to know he was around when they were taking pics of the car on the salt, too...

Click image for larger version

Name:	saltScott.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	880818
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

He is currently going store to store in Kearney and buying up all the copies he can find. HA!
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

BOTH stores!!??

Great going, Scott! I JUST got my copy and haven't looked at the article yet.

Dan

Comment

definitely a pro, good job.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Jim did you over look that you are also in the same issue
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I saw that too! But this is Scott's thread
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Congratulations Scott
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

congrads mr EFI wizard..

Comment

I still can't believe that they exposed a Riddler winner to Bonneville salt! Guess they're fixin' to take it apart and de-salt it. And it's cool to actually KNOW someone like Scott.

Did you ever get the plane ride?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I still can't believe that they exposed a Riddler winner to Bonneville salt! Guess they're fixin' to take it apart and de-salt it.
                    Dan
                    I really dig the fact that the owner is willing to "drive" the car on the salt (towed there in an enclosed trailer and just wheeled around a bit), but when money is not a problem I guess why not?
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                      I really dig the fact that the owner is willing to "drive" the car on the salt (towed there in an enclosed trailer and just wheeled around a bit), but when money is not a problem I guess why not?
                      Mmmm...never say about a guy that maybe just achieved a dream, that money wasn't a problem.

Comment

hy not put it on the salt, most likely will be up for sale. so he can fund the next car

Comment

From what Scott has told me, the owner is a person who wants to build a car to drive it no matter the cost.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Somehow I missed this thread til now. Thanks for the compliments!

I never did get to ride in ron's jet (it's an Eclipse, small 6-seater). These guys put a post on the DIYAutotune.com facebook page asking for a tuner familiar with Megasquirt. Someone from the Early Hemi (engine masters) team responded with my phone number. I got a phone call from these guys who didn't want to tell me much over the phone, just that "it's a supercharged flathead ford with megasquirt EFI" and that I only had a few days to get it running. Then he said they'd send a plane for me, to the nearest airport. Then I pointed out that I was about 20 minutes away from Bennington.

When I got to the shop it was "leave your phone at the door" and "no cameras or photos of any kind"

This was the first time I worked on a serious show car. These guys quickly taught me to appreciate that their level of customization and engineering was exactly the same as something like an Engine Masters Challenge.

When I got to work on the engine there was a huge problem, they had a barn door throttle body that equated to the size of 2 1050 Dominators (according to Nick Smithberg). Nick and TJ (a CNC machinist) went to work on reducing the throttle area so the engine would be drivable.

We couldn't put water in the block before the show (leaks are bad, and leaks on a flat head are a guarantee), so we could only start and run it for 45-60 seconds at a time, then it had to cool for 4-6 hours. So there wasn't a lot of time to get it fine tuned.

When it came back from the Autorama, we took it out on the streets in Ron's neighborhood to get it tuned up nice. It runs really good now. Then we invited Elana and Brandan from HRM out to take a ride in it. They shot a nice video, found here:
                            On this episode of HOT ROD Unlimited, we get a closer look a Ridler Award winner! At the 2013 Detroit Autorama, eight cars were chosen to compete for the pre...
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That was an interesting experience to help out in a MAJOR time of need. 10 guys working (a few familiar faces from TV) around the clock to finish a car literally in pieces in less than a week and the fact of trying to figure out issues with less than a minute of run time. No pressure right Scott? LOL! I'm glad I was able to help out so Scott could do his thing.

Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X