Thumpr cams-talk to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumpr cams-talk to me

On a basically stock 350 SBC, has anyone used a Thumpr cam? How lumpy IS the idle? And does it not affect low RPM power as claimed? Torque converter change needed? Discuss. THX
    STUGOTS

Originally posted by groucho View Post
    On a basically stock 350 SBC, has anyone used a Thumpr cam? How lumpy IS the idle? And does it not affect low RPM power as claimed? Torque converter change needed? Discuss. THX
    Not sure if it kills cylinder pressure, where as the Xtreme Energy cams are designed to build it. I suppose they sound like the old Erson cams, all duration and no lift. Sounded great, had shit for bottom/ mid range torque. But, knowing Comp, they designed a much better cam.

Stall convertor necessity will depend on how far down the page you pick the cam. Anything over 230 duration @ .050 will need a 2000 to 2200 convertor.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 21, 2014, 08:46 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Wasn't this cam developed for the crowd who wanted an engine
      to sound like it had a lot of balls.......without doing all the internal mods?

I have read some posts on other car forums of guys having to switch out
      converters........some saying Comp Cam should have had this noted before install.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

You might talk with Comp Cams........
        Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Comp Cam's gonna ring their own bell. I want outside intel. Personally, after looking at the numbers on 2 I looked at, I'd advise my customer against it. He says the 350 now has a 327/350HP cam. I told him, leave it. Some "king of the drive in" sounding cam's not gonna be as responsive down low as the cam in it now from the numbers I've seen (one's 235 In/249 Ex @ .050!)
          Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          You might talk with Comp Cams........
          http://www.compcams.com/tech-help/Support.aspx
          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
            Comp Cam's gonna ring their own bell. I want outside intel. Personally, after looking at the numbers on 2 I looked at, I'd advise my customer against it. He says the 350 now has a 327/350HP cam. I told him, leave it. Some "king of the drive in" sounding cam's not gonna be as responsive down low as the cam in it now from the numbers I've seen (one's 235 In/249 Ex @ .050!)
            Close to my 327 cam in my 57.. I'd leave it.. I did.. With 3:31 rear, it really performs.. Even outruns big blocks on occasion, I run a Muncie..
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 21, 2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

hmmm.... sounds like I'm the only on running their Thumpr cam.

1) stall depends on which cam you buy (there's like 5). I have a 4 speed, so I couldn't care less. That said, the first itineration of this set up was with a turbo 350 and 2400 stall.... it sucked, it was like a light switch, and idling down the freeway, it wouldn't make enough pressure (tc) to keep it in 3rd gear... now my problem is keeping clutches in the car.
              2) I have the next-to bottom of the page cam. stock 4 bolt main truck 350 with Vortec heads, air gap intake, CR is 10.5:1 and it sounds excellent
              3) It's an 108 centerline cam, you expect cadillac torque? I honestly don't think it gives up that much bottom end, but oh good heavens, when it hits 2800 rpm, hang onto your girdle, it'll pull your panties right off all the way up to redline. It also kills vacuum, I think on its best day it might make 9 inches.
              4) Everyone, and I mean everyone, gets that stupid grin on their face when they hear it run.

I like the cam, even with the 3:08 gears in my Corvette (3100 lbs)....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 21, 2014, 10:37 PM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

They tighten up the LSA on those cams to give them a more pronounced lope at idle.

As for killing cylinder pressure, that's not going to happen, it's going to "increase" cylinder pressure and create more midrange torque.
                The Green Machine.
                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Nothing against the Thumper.. Just that the cam in it is close to perfect.. Might not like what hapens when the cam changes..
                  Aaron, you built your Vette as a package.. If you were to just put in another cam that is not dialed into what you got, I'm sure it will be a dog, as you say, 4 speeds don't care as much as autos seem to..
                  We need to remember the car in question is an auto... Otherwise Groucho'd not be concerned with stall..
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 21, 2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

it's for the guys that want the sound without the power and parts cost.. it's an "all hat no cattle" cam line,, for the most part.. They make power, but leave a ton on the table.. There is a ton of people that don't need a 400hp+ engine, but want the sound of it.. and comp said, sure we'll take your money

Comment

So far I've only seen 2 Thumpr cams for the SBC. You have a better combo by far (air gap, 10-5, Vortec heads, air gap) for the cam than my customer
                      Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      hmmm.... sounds like I'm the only on running their Thumpr cam.

1) stall depends on which cam you buy (there's like 5). I have a 4 speed, so I couldn't care less. That said, the first itineration of this set up was with a turbo 350 and 2400 stall.... it sucked, it was like a light switch, and idling down the freeway, it wouldn't make enough pressure (tc) to keep it in 3rd gear... now my problem is keeping clutches in the car.
                      2) I have the next-to bottom of the page cam. stock 4 bolt main truck 350 with Vortec heads, air gap intake, CR is 10.5:1 and it sounds excellent
                      3) It's an 108 centerline cam, you expect cadillac torque? I honestly don't think it gives up that much bottom end, but oh good heavens, when it hits 2800 rpm, hang onto your girdle, it'll pull your panties right off all the way up to redline. It also kills vacuum, I think on its best day it might make 9 inches.
                      4) Everyone, and I mean everyone, gets that stupid grin on their face when they hear it run.

I like the cam, even with the 3:08 gears in my Corvette (3100 lbs)....
                      Last edited by groucho; January 22, 2014, 07:38 AM.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

This has been my thoughts since that line was introduced (hopes of something for nothing), way before this customer. I told him if it's just a cam change he wants, expect nothing more than the idle you want and less snap down at the bottom
                        Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                        it's for the guys that want the sound without the power and parts cost.. it's an "all hat no cattle" cam line,, for the most part.. They make power, but leave a ton on the table.. There is a ton of people that don't need a 400hp+ engine, but want the sound of it.. and comp said, sure we'll take your money
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          I know of, personally, 2 thumper cammed cars (not counting SBG's as I never felt it run) one was put together with the right stuff and was a very decent car..Great if you wanna say.. The other was not as well packaged, but it still performed well.. Not great like the first..

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                            They tighten up the LSA on those cams to give them a more pronounced lope at idle.

As for killing cylinder pressure, that's not going to happen, it's going to "increase" cylinder pressure and create more midrange torque.
                            Forgive me if I am wrong. But, long duration and closing up the lobe separation increases the time both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Which would bleed off cylinder pressure in the low rpms. It will also require a richer idle mixture because half of the raw gas will be leaving the exhaust valve before it gets burned. Now, some of the cylinder pressure can be returned by very fast opening and closing ramps on the cam lobe, which on a flat tappet is very limited.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Isn't the cylinder pressure dictated mostly by the intake closing point? Overlap would be affecting
                              the intake opening, correct? I see where this would have an effect on the idle but wouldn't it have
                              less on the cylinder pressure? ( lots of question marks here)

Comment

Working...
                              X