No announcement yet.

Original/Unrestored or fresh/restored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original/Unrestored or fresh/restored?

Which do you prefer in a vehicle and why?

I really enjoy an unrestored vehicle, but have never been able to be happy with the way it is. Just can't seem to keep my hands off a car. If a vehicle is in good unrestored condition when I get it, no problem. Once something breaks and I have to operate, I just can't seem to draw the line.

You?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Re: Original/Unrestored or fresh/restored?

By FAR I prefer an original car. I can't deal with paint.

Comment

not only that, whenever I get ahold of a car that's been worked on by someone else, it's all f*cked up!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
        Which do you prefer in a vehicle and why?

I really enjoy an unrestored vehicle, but have never been able to be happy with the way it is. Just can't seem to keep my hands off a car. If a vehicle is in good unrestored condition when I get it, no problem. Once something breaks and I have to operate, I just can't seem to draw the line.

You?
        Burt then when its being restored and nice,it just can be brought to shows.Too many cars go that way.

Comment

I prefer the unrestored cars. Not because I think they look better, but because they are more interesting to look at. You can see their history. Old decals, repairs done, what was original and never used, etc.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

well the life of the two cars would be totally diffrent now wouldn't they.

An unrestored 55 buick special, and a restored one will not have the same life. I guess it's possible but any original car in good shape has had a owner who loved it.
            This is esecially true for trucks.
            Not that i don't appreciate a restored car but unless the man who did it himself is there to tell you the story of the cold day at the junkyard when he found the window knob that completed the job. It's not the same. Most the time i feel like it's just had a bunch of money and year one parts thrown at it.

Comment

un restored is cool...but it all depends which car it is and what it represents..

i cant really leave well enough alone...even if its just tires,shocks and audio (current DD)....even my 76 1 ton GMC got a cam swap at the time (ended up being overcammed-but sounded GOOD!)

i luv the aftermarket. ;D

alan
              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

I'd have to go with unrestored. Yeah you may be dealing with someone else's f*ck-up, but at least YOU know what it took to fix it. IMO, it makes you appreciate it more.

Comment

When I'm done with one, you could still say it's unrestored. ;D

I prefer original cars to start with, but don't have a problem doing what I want with them.

Comment

I prefer shiny. Not bling, but just... clean.

After a couple years of watching the ground go by and the driveshaft turning through the floor boards, and mopping up puddles of water in the trunk and interior after every rain storm, I prefer restored (in a very loose sense of the term).
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      not only that, whenever I get ahold of a car that's been worked on by someone else, it's all f*cked up!
                      We somehow buy cars from the same kinf of people I guess... ;)
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

There's something about an original un-restored car that's really impressive, even if it's kind of "ordinary" and not necessarily a HEMI 'Cuda. Just the fact that someone has kept it and taken care of it for so long is kind of cool.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I think it may have something to do with where I am from, but while I do like unrestored cars, rust just gives me hives and everything old and untouched I have ever seen has hidden rot everywhere. If I lived out west where rust isn?t a big issue I may feel differently.

Another factor is this, after digging eyeball deep into my 69 Jav I found a fair amount of manufacturing sloppiness, which I repaired. I doubt this is unique to AMC so I guess I would have some reservations about putting big power to any stock, unmodified chassis?

I also can not stand squeaks and rattles.

Maybe if someone could restore the entire car on the inside, and leave the patina on the outside that would be about perfect. Like that wicked fast Nova in HRM a few years back. That was perfect!

Comment

Original/unrestored cars are more likeable if they're in good shape...if the car is trashed, then it probably needs to be redone. I just prefer to start with one that hasn't been redone yet, because I dislike having to do stuff over. And I've had to do that plenty on other people's cars. Fortunately I'm too cheap to ever buy a car that's already done or partly done.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like the taking the crap out of the field and make it back into a decent car...
                              For example:
                              This

Became

This one started unmolested but tired

and is well on its way

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X