Old antifreeze-what to do with the stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old antifreeze-what to do with the stuff

Aside from the wrong way of dumping down a sewer drain, what the heck does one do with old antifreeze?
    Between the amount of times I've had an old hose break on me, or pulling heads, etc, and dumping antifreeze and having to power wash my driveway, I'd like to think I'm a bit more responsible than when I first started fixing the rust piles I love to own.

I called around to the parts stores that take oil, no go, none of the counter staff seemed to have a ??? : clue.
    I have like a gallon and a half I managed to catch that didn't dump all over hell and back. It's been sitting in the garage some time now, and after dropping a socket wrench in the green kewlaid, kicking the container and splashing crap all over my rollaway, I'm done trying to save it for filtering and reuse {was 1-2 years old but only had maybe 800 miles on the stuff.}

I'd imagine it's going to cost me to get rid of...
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Old antifreeze-what to do with the stuff

I take mine to Pep Boys with their repair shop and dump it there. The one near me always takes it unless their tank is full. I usually have to do the dumping. Parts stores without repair shops are only taking used oil as far as I know.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here in Kansas, the local landfills have 'chemical collection sites' that take everything from latex housepaint to MEK.
      Maybe there, too.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I hear cats like to drink it. :

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
          I hear cats like to drink it. :
          I wish :-\ Not much anymore near as I can tell.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If I'm ever stuck with fluids like antifreeze or old gas (even two-stroke mix), I take it to the local Pick-A-Part. They reclaim old antifreeze, test it and sell it by the gallon. They use the fuel for the yard trucks; they're happy to take it.

Cheers!

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, conventional coolant is safe to drain in a normal storm drain.

Some states have "banned" coolant draining because of abuse, but small quantity generation (remember a couple gallons drained is cut with water, which reduces the true % a lot) is a very insignificant amount compared to the vast amounts of water that storm drains contend with (millions?billions? of gallons of water?).

There are collection companies that charge a fee to collect coolant, but its not required, unless your a large quantity generator like a shop or if its used for some type of industrial app.

Fact is, some of the chemicals in conventional coolant are added to change the specific gravity of wastewater for processing.

Locally, we have no restrictions on draining. Its just "recommended" for large quantity shops, and then, they only collect DexCool....not conventional coolant.

Comment

You could always just send it, freight collect, to Nancy Pelosi....
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Call your local government and ask them what to do with it.

Interestingly, in the late '90s in Ohio, I was told to take it out to the country and dump it along a fence line, away from domestic animals. This was state policy as far as anyone in Sylvania, Toledo and Columbus (the state capitol) could tell.

I've also been told that if you live in a town with city water, to dump it down your toilet and the city treatment plant will filter it out.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Caddyman
                    Contrary to popular belief, conventional coolant is safe to drain in a normal storm drain.

Some states have "banned" coolant draining because of abuse, but small quantity generation (remember a couple gallons drained is cut with water, which reduces the true % a lot) is a very insignificant amount compared to the vast amounts of water that storm drains contend with (millions?billions? of gallons of water?).

There are collection companies that charge a fee to collect coolant, but its not required, unless your a large quantity generator like a shop or if its used for some type of industrial app.

Fact is, some of the chemicals in conventional coolant are added to change the specific gravity of wastewater for processing.

Locally, we have no restrictions on draining. Its just "recommended" for large quantity shops, and then, they only collect DexCool....not conventional coolant.
                    It has to go into a sanitary sewer line that goes to a sewage treatment facility.
                    A storm drain dumps straight into the nearest local waterway.

Comment

Here, its ok for storm drains.

Even our dealership is allowed to use the normal floor drains for coolant....

We're considered a "low volume" contributor according to SC-DHEC regs. Due to the vast quantity of water going through our drains (we are the LOWcountry), DHEC allows low volume draining of coolant....to wherever it goes.

Comment

Over here in Spain every town has a waste disposal site,
                        they?ll take everything, my old motor to washing machines,
                        wood, plastic etc., but it?s not a landfill site.
                        They take old motor oil, cooking oil, trans fluid everything.

Anti freeze to mix is not sold here just ready mixed coolant.
                        I don?t see how anti freeze can be poured down a drain, it
                        is a poison.

Comment

Most any parts store, or repair facility can take care of it for you.

Comment

Isn't the old anti-freeze basically alcohol ?

Comment

Ethylene glycol

Comment

Working...
                              X