Big day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big day

This week at work,i have checked some cranes at one of the local mine companys.They have been in business since the early sixties.Tha sad story is that all of their equipment has been scrapped the last years.

They had a lot of big machines there.16 Terex Dumpers at 150 tonns each and there were 4-5 loaders in the 300-500 tonns variety.

This Champion motor grader are the only big machine left.

Its huge.in the seventies it was said it was the worlds biggest motor grader.Supposedly it came from a indian territory in the Us.It was a year old when it came over here.

It was last in use 3-4 years ago,but it is very costly to use.So it has been standing .

And later today an old friend that moved north 5 years ago,called me and wondered if i could help him with his cadillac limousine.He was visiting his old aunt,and when driving down here(1000 miles trip one way),he heard some noises under the car.

Turned out to be one or two of the cv joints that was rattling.Its a 71 cadillac Limo thet just turned over 60000 miles.so the joints were dry of grease.He had tried to take the joints apart in a hydraulic press,but he hadnt warmed the plastic that hold the joints.So two of the ears on the yoke broke....

Anyway.Heres some pics.The garage at his aunts house are full now ;D

He said the rear axle had some kind of sideway moved gear.i didnt see.i just held the camera there and took a pic.

Will see tomorrow if i can help him with that cv joints.Maybe weld the ears back.Must find a welder thet welds cast steel then.

Re: Big day

last I heard you can't weld cast - only braze, which isn't terribly strong. They do make welding rod for stick welding that can weld cast; problem is it tends to make the surrounding cast metal brittle.... however, perhaps they've solved those problems - so please let me know if that's not right.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It can be done by a patient person. Sit it out in the sun for a couple hours until its nice and warm, then weld very short runs at a time. Do not allow the piece to become too hot to touch. This process may take several days. The heat is what makes the work brittle.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I should have taken pics of the part of the drive axle that broke.But it is like a yoke for a conventional 400 trans,but with a double joint like the one on the front drive axle on a 4x4 chevy.And this drive axle has 3 of these joints.

Cast steel can be welded,but it must be heated first,and welded with a special rod,and the weld and surrounding area must be shot peened afterwards.

Comment

Working...
        X