Really old cool plane pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really old cool plane pictures.

Absolutely breath taking! IMO, it could give an Ansel Adams photo a run for the money.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

It's just amazing that it hasn't been torn down and replaced in the last 70 plus years. DF, thanks for the additions.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Now, I am on to the album my Granddad, Harry, made while during WWII while serving in England. He was serving with the 381st Bomber Group, part of the 8th Air Force out of Ridgewell England, aka Station 167. This included the 532nd, 533rd, 534th and 535th bomber Squadrons. Harry originally come on board as the Air Executive officer, then he was promoted to Group Commander when the previous one was promoted "upstairs". He did fly and took some pics of getting hit with flak while on bombing runs.

You can read a little bit about the group here:
        Many more pics taken by guys stationed there

Pics of what was left of Ridgewell back in 2002.

Let's start with the album itself. Harry had it made from aluminum, supposedly a piece of skin from a B-17. The bronze emblem on the cover was probably cut from a 105 mm Howitzer shell, then flattened and and engraved "Triumphant We Fly". I especially love the 8th Air Force hinges. Let me tell you this thing weighs a ton.

OK, who likes nose art? Harry took pics of nearly every plane that came through his group. Look closely you'll see a Congressman and a Edward G. Robinson both christening planes. Also, look for the plane named "Phyllis". Harry christened that one himself. It's named after my aunt.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Dang Scott, you can practically start a Museum there with all the pictures you've posted lately.

I think I like the "Squat n'Droppit" and "Spare Parts" the best
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
            OK, who likes nose art? Harry took pics of nearly every plane that came through his group. Look closely you'll see a Congressman and a Edward G. Robinson both christening planes. Also, look for the plane named "Phyllis". Harry christened that one himself. It's named after my aunt.
            Scott,
            If you haven't already, you should send copies of the nose art pics to the CAF museum in Midland, TX. They have a whole wing dedicated to preserving, documenting, restoring and displaying nose art. It would be cool if you have period pictures of some of the nose art in their collection.

Comment

The nose was great. I can't help but to wonder if "Passiac Warrior" was someone from my area. Passiac, NJ is close to me.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Awesome pictures!!
                It is an honor to be able to see them.

Comment

Sooo Bitchin, thanks for sharing those Scott.

Comment

The nose art collection is epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                      The nose art collection is epic!
                      X2

Comment

"Shack Rabbit"

I totally know what I'm naming my next race car. KILLER!

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

" Our Mom "

Comment

Way cool...........I've been back over this thread several times

Love the history of it all and that it's coming from your family
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I have to apologize to those who liked this thread as I haven't updated it in forever. Memorial Day was a reminder I should get my butt in gear.

These pictures Harry took are in a photo album that now belongs to my Mom's twin sister. These all were taken while Harry was stationed in England during WWII.

Harry loved to take pictures of people and crews. Here's one with a few characters.

This series of pics shows a Senator who came over to christen the new plane Liberty Bell. I don't know his name.

This was cut out of the New York Times. It's shows Mary Churchill, Winston's Daughter, who christened the plane Stage Door Canteen.

This next newspaper clipping shows Mary wiping the spilled champagne off Harry's uniform.

Those of you who saw Gone With The Wind will recognize Vivian Leigh who was there the same day as Mary Churchill

Here's Happy Bottom getting a send off by Edward G Robinson. Man, Harry knew a lot of celebs back then. The top center pic shows him smashing the champagne bottle on the barrel of the 50 cal on the chin turret.

Back at the officer's club after the christening.

I'm not sure who this British General is or the lady.

This is during some kind of celebration.

This one shows the whole flight group enjoying Bing Crosby and a group of USO entertainers.

The clipping about the night.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger

My wing level headquarters is there at Randolph, I stayed in lodging not 100yds from that building which is really a water tower on top of a building. My wife hates the fact its called the Taj since she says it looks nothing like the real one. Randolph is a very very interesting base since most of the buildings are 1940's vintage and well preserved.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X