Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oppose U.S. "Cash for Clunkers" program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppose U.S. "Cash for Clunkers" program!

For those that are not members of SEMA SAN an alert was sent out today regarding a "Cash for Clunkers" program that is being included as part of an economic stimulus package to be introduced in early January. The program will pay U.S. tax dollars to people that turn in cars to be crushed.
    See the full text of the alert go here: http://tinyurl.com/cash4clunkers

To join the SEMA Action Network and receive alerts go here: http://www.semasan.com/san/Join.aspx

Re: Oppose U.S. "Cash for Clunkers" program!

Happy to be a SEMA member, everone needs to join.

Comment

Him what's the tax credit?? I know of a lot a 80's cars that need crushing and you can get them pretty cheap. ;)

I see dollar signs. ;D

Comment

All I'm saying is that their are a lot of car out there that need to be scrapped, not saying Muscle cars, hot rods or the like are in that group. But if I can go buy a Yugo for $50 and get a one or two thousand dollar tax credit for scraping it, I'm all for it. Hell if you did it right you could just scrap cars for a living and live on the tax rebate money. So does anyone know how much the credit is going to be?? I mean if it's a $1000, just think you could scrap 30 Yugo's with an investment of $1500(that's $50 a peice) and you could turn around and get a check from the government for $30,000, I don't know about you but making $28,500 for scrapping cars that no one wants seems like a money maker to me.

Comment

Membership with SEMA is free, just sign up. I agree with T/C in so much as there are tons of cars that need to be scrapped. What I don't agree with is the fact that the entire vehicle needs to be destroyed with none of the useable parts being recycled. I see it as just a rehash of the old scrappage programs where only the big corporations benefitted.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

They're gonna have to cough up a lot of "Cash" to get my "Clunkers"! ;D
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Just joined. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Just joined and hope it was okay to say I heard about it at www.freiburgersjunkyard.com

Comment

Dude...you rule!

Thanks!

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

the last one like this I read was a state thing. and the credit involved buying a new car not more than 3 years old .and older the car the less the credit

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                      All I'm saying is that their are a lot of car out there that need to be scrapped, not saying Muscle cars, hot rods or the like are in that group. But if I can go buy a Yugo for $50 and get a one or two thousand dollar tax credit for scraping it, I'm all for it. Hell if you did it right you could just scrap cars for a living and live on the tax rebate money. So does anyone know how much the credit is going to be?? I mean if it's a $1000, just think you could scrap 30 Yugo's with an investment of $1500(that's $50 a peice) and you could turn around and get a check from the government for $30,000, I don't know about you but making $28,500 for scrapping cars that no one wants seems like a money maker to me.
                      The problem with this is there would be a lot of people who wouldn't care if it were an 80's car or a 50s, 60's or 70's. Evidence of this is the number of classics that end up in my local pull-a-part but at least there you can get parts off them.

Comment

There are a lot of cars out there that need to be scrapped, and they will be scrapped, and the taxpayer funded program won't change that at all...it will just funnel tax money to car makers/dealers. I'm sure lotsa congressmen will get campaign contributions and be taken out to nice dinners too.

call/write/email your representatives/senators.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel

call/write/email your representatives/senators.
                          Yeah, one of my senator's is the great Harry Reid : Luckily our other senator cancels his vote just about every time.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a few 80 something front drivers with no salvage or resale value that I would be happy send to the crusher for some no strings attached cash. They would have to pay more than actual scrap value cause anyone could get that already. I seariously doubt that our legislators would put together a program to just hand out cash for junk cars. I would bet there are strings attached like you get credits towards buying a new or newer car instead of cash.

My biggest issue with it is that it is a waste of tax dollars to buy junk cars. Do we need or want congress in the auto recycling business? I doubt that they would distinguish between my mid 80's fwd crap and good collectible old cars.

DF rescued the Crusher Camaro several years ago from a program that would have crushed it for smog credits if I remember correctly.

I already wrote to my senators and representative and also the lady that is working on the bill to let them know what I think of the Idea.

Comment

It's ok it they want to give me a credit towards buying a new car. If it's a $3000 credit, I'll turn 10 of them in get a $30,000 car for $500(remember I bought them for $50 each) and turn around and sell it.

Yap scamming the system, it just might work. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X