Local Granny Fresh Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Granny Fresh Cars

I live just outside Culver City, CA which for the longest time was mostly populated by old geezers. Many of them the original owners of the homes built around the city during the fifties and sixties. It explains the near non-existent crime in town.

As a result, there are literally dozens of these old people still hauling about town in cars they bought in the 60's and 70's. This past Friday, while out running errands I ran into several of the local cars that us gear heads would kill to get our hands on. I usually see one or two, but on this day I say four of the best. I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera with me.(It was still sitting on the desk from uploading GNRS pics >)

The first I saw is the one I want most. A little old lady who plows around town in her mint 68 Dodge Charger SE. I don't see this triple green car very often, but, man oh man, I daydream about getting my hands on it every time I do. She was puttering along Sepulveda Bl in front of me. There was at least guy waving at her trying to get her attention. I can't imagine how many buy offers this old lady gets a week.

Second, is the one that lives two blocks from me and this old lady is always at the same grocery store I go to. She drives a green on green 71 Skylark coupe. This one doesn't have a big V8, or GNX options, but still looks as good as the day it parked at the now gone Buick dealer here in Culver City.

Third, was a car I have only seen a couple times before. I saw the old guy spending quite a bit of time getting his 69 Mustang Sportsroof into a parking space at the local Target. This one sported Mach 1 stripes and 351 badges on the hood scoop. It's an unusual color too. A dark greenish gray with yellow striping. It also still has all of it's dog dish hub caps.

And, lastly was parked next to me at the local hardware store. A yellow and white 57 Ford Ranchero. This thing gets driven a lot. I see it a lot. A peek at the interior showed an aftermarket radio, aftermarket seatbelts, an old school plastic console/cup holder and a pair of sun glass cases hanging from the dash board.

Over the last few years many of these old timers have either moved away or passed away, so I guess the time of seeing these granny fresh babies is quickly coming to an end.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Local Granny Fresh Cars

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
      x2

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

x3

I'll say ... those all sound neat, especially the Ranchero.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

There is an old lady around here like that....

Driving a '69 Nova. Gold with 350 badges on it. perfect condition.

I asked her one time if she would sell it, and she said "You're the third person that's asked me that today."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Rod
            There is an old lady around here like that....

Driving a '69 Nova. Gold with 350 badges on it. perfect condition.

I asked her one time if she would sell it, and she said "You're the third person that's asked me that today."

You should have said "yeah, but I'm the only one that has the money"

I've actually said that and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed

x3

cheers

X4. how high can we count ;D
              Ed N.

Comment

Mom lives in Clearwater, FL. We've long noticed that you can tell when someone retired by the year of the car they're wheeling. They'd get their gold watch and head to the local dealer to get a big boat to last them the rest of their lives - and they usually did. For a long time there were lots of '72 Electras and Caddys (I once saw a breathtaking 1959 Imperial with a miniature old lady driving) - now the tendency is toward 95 Tauruses and the like. I'm guessing that the folks who retired around 1972 have almost all passed away.

Dan

Comment

How topical!
                  Chad has a great story from today that he'll be doing as a blog item this evening.

No fire, but it does involved a low speed chase and an old woman.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

low speed to him, she was probably white knuckling the steering wheel!

Comment

Good stuff, Reb, almost like we wuz ridin' shotgun with ya - - - did anybody mention pics yet? ;D

Comment

ok, I guess this Dutch guy will have to add some US-city streetscene pics to make up for the lack of Rebel's... djeesz... : :D

Metropolitan, with the keys in the ignition... ???

All taken in the Phoenix-area way back in '98 by the way.
                        (Damn I need to visit the US again. It's been way too long already)
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

x3

cheers
                          Ed N.

Sheesh, you guys are helpless without visual aids. I forget to bring my camera one day.......

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

x3

cheers
                            Ed N.

Sheesh, you guys are helpless without visual aids. I forget to bring my camera one day.......

And you'll never hear the end of it!

Comment

I know where the Buick lives so I can get a shot of it tomorrow.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X