Comet Washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comet Washing

Ok, I've gotta know. I've listened to people talk about Comet washing. How do you do it? How much water to how much Comet? Do you mix a fairly diluted mixture or a pretty thick and soupy mix? Use a normal sponge or mitt or something a little more abrasive?

Re: Comet Washing

I asked this question a while back.....Everyone just told me to wet the car and then wash it normally with comet....

If you use a sponge you would probably be able to control it better and buff areas that need it.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Use the sponge. Wet an area, then sprinkle some Comet on it and go to town. Make sure you go in one consistent direction as it may leave marks on the car. Start with less Comet, and see how it works. You just need to see how the oxidation and crud reacts. It's easy.
      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

i'm all over it...
        never done it before, but i have a pretty nice '87 (i think) celeberty euro sport wagon...wow
        compleate with a roof rack. air, power windows....am/fm cassete...
        i'm in, it's a nice brown.....but i'm gonna fix that...
        i need to post some pics for everyone to see.
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I've been thinking about Comet washing the Caprice. See if that helps the paint at all. I don't think it can hurt it.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I used Comet and and a Scrotchbrite scrubby sponge in a little water to remove the coat of primer on my Ranchero. Had to use alot, but it does remove spray can primer from the top of paint. Dilute as needed per application.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Okay guys.... the goal of Comet washing to remove the oxidation that came from old school Enamels... that White junk that used to appear on the surface if you didn't wax the snott out of your car regularly...

It's also great if you simply want to clean up a beater...

Yes it is Very abrasive compared to regular cleaners... and there is some bleach in there as well..

The idea of using a Scotch bright pad is a bit over the top for most applications... but sure if your wanting to take stuff OFF... that will do it.... hmmm

As always... test on an area you can't see... Like Chad says... get the area wet... put the Comet on the sponge... and rub a bit in going "with" the grain.... it's going to leave scratches .... but when your done... the thing will be Truly Clean... and it's a look that works for me... a bit old school... but if you want a beater to look like you care... this will do it...

K

Comment

If the paint is really oxidized, Comet will not leave noticeable scratches. You can use SoftScrub if you have fear.

Comment

WHY NOT JUST USE COMPOUND..
                  it comes in different , cutting ratings

Comment

Seems like everyone out there HAS to know someone with a buffer (I have 2). Bribe them (I'll take decaf Diet Coke or Diet Cheerwine) and get 'em to run the buffer over the car. I can do a car in under an hour in most cases. Not that tough as long as you watch the edges.

Dan

Comment

Orange machine buffing compound followed by white swirl remover and a coat of wax (because you've removed all protection and patina) applied by hand. That's all I've ever had to do and it works great. If you're nervous you can use the white 3M stuff (very mild) and tape the edges but after a panel or two you'll be buffing like an old pro. Why does anything dealing with bodywork scare folks? It's WAY simpler than building an engine! I've done both.......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                        Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan
                        WHY NOT JUST USE COMPOUND..
                        it comes in different , cutting ratings
                        Compound = 4.00
                        Comet = .99

/edit - and the better half almost always has comet. It automagically refills. :-X

haha,, sounds good ,
                        doesn't work that way in my house.. :-\

next dumb question..
                        does the bleach hurt the paint ??
                        i can see it not hurting the clear..
                        but what about a single stage ??

Comment

The patina left by comet washing is Way better then buffing on an older car... like the Van for instance... it doesn't really leave it shiney... but it can obviously be waxed and buffed following this cleaning...

Buffing is for bringing shine back from the dead... or whittling on a newer paint job... Comet washing is Cool... looks a bit like the matt finishes that are out there and is Way more real...

K

Comment

Porter cable 7424 dual action polisher (will not burn thru edges, it's idiot proof) about $125 and Meguiar's Speed Glaze which has a light (4 on a scale of 10) cutting agent to it - works great. Then switch pads and a light coat of wax. I'm guilty of DWW all the time - drinking while waxing -
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                              Seems like everyone out there HAS to know someone with a buffer (I have 2). Bribe them (I'll take decaf Diet Coke or Diet Cheerwine) and get 'em to run the buffer over the car. I can do a car in under an hour in most cases. Not that tough as long as you watch the edges.

Dan
                              I bought a buffer from Harbor Freight for $40. It's a POS because it doesn't have the constant motor speed control (like my $200 Makita that got stolen >) so it likes to jump around sometimes, but it's not too bad with a wool pad.

Filler, blocking, and sanding doesn't scare me. I've done but it tries my patience. Rust repair is way outside my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X