Bamfster Camaro Project ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamfster Camaro Project ...

Ok guys, I'm diving in on the Camaro. The wife wants to do some bracket racing this season and last time we had it to the track it would only run in the 16's.

I'll start with a little history on the car. It was a demo car that my parents bought in early 1970 from Jerry Roth Chevrolet in Denver. Their neighbor was a salesman there and turned them onto the car. The story behind it is that the dealer wanted a car to show what an SS loked like, but did not want to tie a bunch of money up in an actuall SS. It's only a base coupe (307/TH350) but it has the SS stripes and houndstooth interior. I have all records as well as the original sales invoice, including every gallon of gas and oil change ever done.

My brothers and I all learned how to drive in the Camaro, and when I was growing up it was just a "beater" for our family. I am the only one to never have an accient in the car. My oldest brother darn near totalled it in 1979.

Somewhere around '82 I started getting interested in hotrods. My Dad saw the potenial investment in restoring the Camaro. He had a friend of the family rebuild the 307 and I was allowed to help. We also hung new 1/4 panels and door skins and did a total repaint in the factory hugger orange and stripes. Dad caught the Cadillac bug when he retired in '87 and the Camaro ended up stored in my brother's garage around 1992 and he used it as a work bench, storage shelf, etc. Needless to say, he's not a car guy, and the car ended up pretty trashed.

When my folks passed, I inherited the Camaro and got it out of his garages asap. In 2004 I did my first total repaint on the Camaro, again in factory hugger orange with the SS stripes. It got a new vinyl top and a partial interior restoration. I put the 307 under the bench, and dropped in a high mileage 350 just to drive it. So far I have rebuilt the suspension and brakes too. All of that was done before I had a digital camera and got my second wind building cars (job, house, family).

My goal now is to make this a low 13 high 12 (remember I'm over 6000' elevation) car that Momma can drive to the track and have fun with. I originally had plans to tub it, cage it and basically cut it up but I think the Chevelle is a better candidate for that. I'm thinking drag radials are the way to go here.

Anyway....here is a pic of me racing the highschool series at Bandimere. I think this was in 1984 when I first got my license, shortly after the cars first "restoration". I was racing my friend Gil Karvaski. Notice the old tower at Bandimere.

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Bamfster Camaro Project ...

To run in the 12s, there is no way you need to tub/cage/ruin this car.

Personally, all I would do to it is drop in a healthy SBC, beef the TH350, sub-3000 converter, maybe add a posi and maybe 3.55:1 rear gears and otherwise keep the car as original as you can.
    You'll run your numbers, you won't end up with a race-hack of a car, and it'll still be worth something if you decide to part with it one day.

About 400hp should be all you need to have some real fun in this car. That's just a healthy 350 with decent comp and cam.

PS: Keep the 307 under the bench.. Must be a late production to have a 307. When was it built?

Comment

It is a nice car, I had a good look at it when dropping the Jav off.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It's always cool too have a car you have a history with, good luck.

Comment

Steve I decided a while back not to cut it up. It does have a little rust in the trunk but I was able to cut that out and hack a patch panel in there until I can do the whole trunk floor. After I saw how good of shape the rear frame rails and all were, I decided not to.

I'm pretty sure it was Nov of 69 when it was built, it is an X11 body. I've never been a big #s guy on the cars.....maybe I should be with this one. I'll hang onto the 307, it only has 18k on it since it was rebuilt in the 80s.

Comment

Yep, that's late. Nov 69 was the last month of production. You'd have a VIN in the 124379N70XXXX range I bet.
            Mines Nov 68 built in Van Nuys. Had the 327, but was long gone buy the time I got the car.

I'm not a big #s guy either, but I love original cars, and I love the way GM built them.

There's obviously a paradox in our hobby that we're all part of.
            For example. HRM promotes the hot-rodding and modifying of muscle cars, yet does articles several pages long on untouched, low-mile "barn finds" revealing their demand and value.

Comment

Yup thats the 1st part of the VIN but with NOR in there. From what I have found out, that means Norwood, Ohio as the assembly line.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                Steve I decided a while back not to cut it up.
                Excellent decision !!
                ;D

Comment

Heck, the Chevelle runs 10.90s on a 9" tire!

Comment

I'd go with BOSteve's suggestion, Dan.....in this day and age, 13's-14's in the 1/4 is just a walk in the park compared to say 20 years ago.

No need for hacking/Sawzalling madness.......BTW, glad you were able to save a piece of your family's history.

Comment

I would also agree with pulling the gennie
                      307, and storing it.

A good healthy 350 would run a hell of
                      a number, a cheaper stroker would be easier,
                      with more torque, and better drivability,
                      and would be a drop in.

I would add some subframe connectors,
                      and a set of slide -a-links.

Comment

The engine is going to be a flat top 350 simply because thats what I have. I do have a 400 crank and 6 good 5.7 rods but I don't have the scratch right now for pistons, etc.

That high mileage 350 is out now:

Look at the size of that converter!

Comment

Yep, Norwood made the majority of Camaros, and Van Nuys was the only other plant making them as you might know. Mine is an VN car.
                          I knew yours was a Norwood car when you said it had X-codes. Van Nuys never did, and Norwood only started using them from about Dec 68.

Is that the original paint on your firewall? If so, have a close look for markings. The bare firewall was crayoned with markings and they are usually visable under the paint.
                          Often the trans ("M35" for example), exhaust ("N10" if dual) and paint color may be crayoned there with other markings like "OK".. Could be a few clues. The paint code probably won't be "72", but probably "Hug Or" or "Orng" or some abreviation.

Holes on the firewall are good clues for options too. Are there any unused holes there?

Comment

Actually that orange paint is overspray from when my dad detailed the engine years ago. There are no unused holes, etc in firewall, it still has all the options it came with....NONE! Paint code is 72 on the cowl tag and as far as I can tell there are no markings left anywhere.

I got the short block together today. This 350 is the first engine I built for my Chevelle in 1987 and it was still in there up until 2000. The cam I am going with is a Reed solid flat tappet .485/.495 lift and 238/244* at .050 on 108 C/L.

Comment

What's wrong with that converter? ;D What rear gear does it have in it?
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X