Jeeps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeeps!

Hey, I need some help and advice- I've got a bit of a project coming up in that I've been given the opportunity to do a quick refresh on some WW2 Jeeps, and one later 60s Jeep (M151A1)- the goal being to have them running for a 100th anniversary Gala on 17 June, hosted by my installation museum.

I've been digging around for parts and information, and I've only gotten my hands on two of them so far, the others will come later when I can get access to the other facility. I'm working on a pretty limited budget, but so far I've got a good start as far as spare parts, and I'm still finding out if I can use one the Jeeps as a donor for some spare parts.

I'll post pics later when I get them off my phone, but does anyone have any information as too where I can find good parts references and interchange?

I would check David Tracy's stories and info/links re: his early Jeep project over at Jalopnik. Nice guy, so far he hasn't been there long enough to become an ass yet. He might even be interested in your deal.

Comment

Cool project, Walt! I'd think if you get the basics right they ought to run - they were designed to be non-fussy. So fuel, compression, spark, timing and they ought to make noise. First thing I'd check is points assuming they've been sitting.

Dan

Comment

Hey Walt, that's awesome. But this is not a project, it is a program .. ongoing preventative maintenance, with long-tern objectives. Start keeping records of as much stuff as you can write down. Get a spiral notebook for each vehicle, with a consistent Table of Contents. Of course, this will necessitate a new thread on the "Projects" board to document your efforts.

Rock on dude !

Comment

I agree with Steve. This could turn into a"job" with a little luck and some organisational wrangling.

And "job" is a good thing.
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Steve is more on the ball with pictures. It's not long term unfortunately, as the museum is going away soon, and the Jeeps with it. But for now, I'm going to do my best on it. New master/wheel cylinder rebuild kits are on the way for the WW2 Jeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
              It's not long term unfortunately, as the museum is going away soon, and the Jeeps with it.
              Well then ... can I buy one of the Jeeps with a good frame & body for my "mudslinger" project ?

Comment

I wish- these are pretty solid and complete little rigs.

Today was my second real work day. We've got the 6V WW2 Jeep apart- the radiator is off to get re-cored, it has tires that hold air, and we got all the brakes torn down.

Upon tearing into the master cylinder, we found something of the color and consistency of tapioca pudding. So, it's been all cleaned up and rebuilt with new seals and a redneck hone (3M abrasive pad zip tied to a drill bit)

The wheel cylinders are all apart, similarly honed, and soaking in degreaser waiting for our next work session when we'll put it all back together, re-grease the wheel bearings, and get it back on tires. Then it'll be drain gas, clean plugs, add a new battery, change the oil and get it prepped for the new radiator.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1160792

Name:	Jeep2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	1160793

Name:	Jeep3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1160794
                Last edited by 98ciHemi; May 28, 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Groovyness! I like these old ones - they take simple and basic to new heights. Of course, to do the jobs they were assigned they HAD to.

When I was a kid these were sold as Army Surplus and were cheap. There were ads in the back pages of Popular Mechanics and such and I think they were $200 or something along that line. There were thousands of them and I heard that the people you would buy them from got them for scrap metal prices in huge lots.

My uncle had one that came in a crate just as they arrived to the war theaters and he had to strip the Cosmolene (I forget the solvent, maybe fuel oil) and assemble it. His was still OD though I guess some were different colors (maybe blue for the Navy?) and we used to see them on the road painted different colors, most looking like they used house paint. Cheap basic transportation and they'd take you over sand dunes and down to Lake Michigan though I never made that trip.

Great assignment!

Dan

Comment

Dad had a red one.. Could see the green under it.. Rag top, had doors but took them off..
                    I had a friend home for the weekend, dad was out hunting in the 56 Ford big pickup ( more room for the deer). So I took the kid for a ride..8 years old.. Shifted into 2 nd beside the grape row.. 3 ft bank got jumped.. He TATTLED ON ME.. Got my butt beat with a hacksaw!

Comment

We have a runner! Most of our working efforts have been focused on the WW2 Jeep, to the exclusion of the others. Today, I got around to working on the M151A2- not many were released to the public intact, as they were deemed a rollover risk.

This example had 134 miles on the clock before today. I gave it a once over, topped up the fluids, and we tossed in a pair of batteries (24 Volt system). Some raw gas and starting fluid to help her fire, about two minutes of misfiring, and it starts on the first bump of the starter, runs up to 45 MPH, shifts through all the gears, and steers straight and stops well. I even enlisted it's help in teaching my coworker to drive a stick shift.

There is something fundamentally satisfying about driving a Jeep with the windshield down on a sunny day with the wind in your hair.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
                        There is something fundamentally satisfying about driving a Jeep with the windshield down on a sunny day with the wind in your hair.
                        Ahhhh ......

Comment

Good going, Walt! One down, how many to go?

Dan

Comment

One sort of down. Tomorrow is the base's 100 anniversary Gala, and the showing for the Jeeps. We've settled on driving the M151 and I'll flat tow the WW2 Jeep to the Gala.

However, today the garrison CO walked through the exhibits set up for the Gala, and we arrived with the M151, which promptly upon shutting down the engine, puked some coolant and started steaming- in full view of the garrison CO and Command Sergeant Major. By the time they got out to us, it had thankfully settled out and we got to speak briefly on behalf of our efforts.

On the drive back it got up to 215ish (from 180 when we restarted it) with no obvious steaming again until shutdown, so while it's hotter than I like, I don't think it caused any damage, and I should be OK for the short drive to and from the Gala while I troubleshoot. I believe thermostat or perhaps water pump, as the coolant seems to be coming from the overflow line.
                            Last edited by 98ciHemi; June 29, 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I would have everything perfect right before a demo and then when the clients were there watching, it puked it's guts. The Sales guys hated us, but we did try.

Comment

Working...
                              X