squirrel's 57 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks! Wish I got the heater fixed. It's freezing in Kingman
    Last edited by squirrel; November 4, 2015, 07:39 AM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• had a funny lump on a rear tire, so I got some new ones. And the alternator seemed to be acting up, usually ok, but occasionally discharging. I picked up a new one for just in case, and on the ride home from Phoenix the one in the truck finally quit working, so I installed the new one on the side of the road. made it home ok.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Been a little while since the last update. I drove the truck to NYC in March, no problems, fun trip! (hauling the robot for the high school team)

I picked up a rebuilt 1990ish 350 from a friend, he rebuilt it. I hope it works...it should, he ran an engine shop in California for years. So I pulled the engine out of the suburban today. I'll probably be able to drop the new one in in the morning. Straight swap, stocker for stocker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160530_211126.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1106030
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• The new engine is in and all connected, except for the radiator..the old one is pretty well plugged from the rust that was in the old engine. There's a new radiator on a fedex truck, hopefully will show up in the morning.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Good solid engines. I have seen TBI engines go 400,000 miles. Their weak spot is their cylinder heads that stink for power. If you not worrying about that, it will serve you well for years.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I don't need extra power in this one...mileage is good, and it got 17.5 on my trip to NYC. I got the new radiator in yesterday afternoon, it didn't fit of course, I had to swap to a smaller fan, which is a bummer. I'm going to build a shroud for it, I guess.

The engine runs great, it's quieter and has a lot more oil pressure. Test drive tomorrow...to Phoenix, then Saturday from there to Vegas if it's working ok.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1107018

the shroud is done, it seems to help. Not the prettiest thing in the world. It's around 110 here right now (in Chandler)
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• I'm whining because it is 78*
                  110* will KILL me!
                  Forecast tmrw and Sunday is 100* and just under... Weird for this area...
                  Somebody has to live in Arizona... Sure ain't gonna be me!

Comment

• it's really dry, so it's not bad.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• "A bonfire's a dry heat, you don't see me jumpin' in there!...." Jeff Dunham as Walter....
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        it's really dry, so it's not bad.
                        Around 60% humidity. Was in the 80% range a few days ago, but it was drizzling..
                        I guess a person gets used to it and behaves accordingly..
                        About 20* above normal for this area..

Comment

Working...
                        X