'63 Chevy II - June 21 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '63 Chevy II - May 6th BeCool Radiator Installed

Damn Steve that 63 is gorgeous, please never change the exterior to much!

Comment

Thanks for the kind remarks Joey. Is Steph still putting up with you ?

The previous "junkie" had removed all side trim and filled in the holes.
      He moulded the trim around the taillights and across the back of the trunk lid and painted with the car.
      To good effect, I think.

As I go through getting her reliable and safe, the asthetics will remain as they are.
      ;)

Comment

Re: '63 Chevy II

Originally posted by White Monster
        So Cool .....

My buddy Rollo and I just finished getting the BeCool radiator module in.
        He has a cool shop with lots of neat tools and a lift. I like lifts ...
        He did most of the work and I handed him beers ...
        Rollo likes beers ...

This kit went in soooo nice and easy, I recommend it to anyone contemplating a replacement. The two fans are controlled independantly, a 185°F switch turns on at 185° and off at 165° and a 195°F switch turns on at 195° and off at 175°).

The 3" core and high flow will handle 700hp, which will keep my little 327 cool as a cucumber. I rode around for a few hours this afternoon in 88° temps in some city stop and go traffic and the engine temp stayed right at 180°.

As they say, BeCool and BeDone !
        Do they have different (lower) temperature switches available? People call me paranoid, but I don't like to see my temp guage go over 170 in the Chevelle.

Comment

I'm not sure, but you can call the Be Cool tech guy's yourself at 800-691-2667.
          They were great, answered all my questions and were very helpful to me.
          Good luck.
          ;)

Comment

nice car, i used to have a '66 ss.....
            nice dog, i had one just like him. :'(

i wish i had them both back...
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Both very beautiful and I fully understand ..
              You were lucky to have them both for the period you did.

Comment

Re: '63 Chevy II - May 9 Update

Yeah !!!

Got the lights working. Do you think replacing the light switch was necessary ??
                The dimmer switch was just as bad or worse and got replaced too.

Here are the light switch connectors I replaced on the wiring harness ..

.. and now the dash bulbs work too (after replacement of these ..)

Comment

Those look perfectly fine to me ;D

They just have the patina everyone is looking for ;D

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think that stuff is supposed to look like that.......

Dan

Comment

You know you can talk about cars all day, but it just takes a few pictures to get it! I like your Chevy II Steve! Another car that has been on my always wanted list. Looks like your making good progress on getting everything to work.

Comment

Thanks John, that means alot from a guy who has such a bitchin' '65.
                        Looking her over at the last Maxton meet got me motivated to dive into mine.

After inspecting the fuse box, distribution panel and other connectors while I was under the dash, I quickly concluded that I will be getting a Painless Wiring Harness sometime in the near future.
                        ;D

Comment

Overall, Power Tour 2008 was a very nice drive and the ole girl handled it with grace and style (wish I could have done the same). Only had a few challenges.

We had a fender clearance issue at Topeka KS on the way to the Dragstrip. With my buddy Buddy (BigBuds1) in the passenger seat, the springs were obviously tired because she wanted to take her shoes off on even the slightest right turn. The scraping sounds of the fender on the tire still send shivers up my back. Anyhow, Fred (fine59) used a shovel handle kindly donated by Allen (cstmwgn) and having seen someone else do it once before, "rolled" the front fender back into shape in the hotel parking lot. He said, "thanks for letting me practice on your car first, I'd never have done that to mine !!"

The next one was when I was following Bob (BluLightning) down the road after the LH meeting Saturday morning, when the ole gal started sputtering, missing and having a severe power loss - right in the middle of all that Chicago traffic and a bloody toll every damn mile ($1 here, .80 there, $3 here ... on and on). Shifting into neutral every stop, braking with the left foot and trying to keep the revs up with the right foot was nerve wracking. I called Bob on the cell and the lovely Reni answered. I screamed; "I'm pulling over, it's about to melt down" !!

We had a look and decided to keep going. We got to the South of Chicago still under power and the Blue Lightining headed left for East to Ohio and I kept straight (I mean forward) South. I limped into Merrillville and made it to a gas station with a parts store next door.

Had a look and saw one of my plug wires next to the header, melted through. Damn. pulled it off the pipe and started it up again. Still missing and running rough as hell. Local advise was that Robert at S&S was the man to see with regards to "old stuff". Went and saw Robert and he knew his stuff. My carb was stuffed (that means Fcuked up in Aussie talk). Apparently the carb was so clogged up that one whole bank wasn't getting any fuel. Anyhow, after two cans of carb cleaner, off I go to the auto parts store, get another carb, put it on and with a free wire from Robert, I was on my way in 3 hours.

.. but by next year I will have the speedometer calibrated, installed a tach, finished putting in the door & roof rail weatherseals, insulating the roof and installing a headliner, rear view mirror and sun visors. She's almost there.
                          (Yeah, right. Keep telling yourself that !)

Comment

Re: '63 Chevy II - June 21 Update

The car looks great, keep the updates coming.
                            This is hopefully going to be the type of car I build in the semi near future(but with a twist).

Mike Reichen

Comment

Looks good Steve. How did the Trip go? Hope to see you Again in the near Future. Hopefully I will get to Maxton again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                                Those look perfectly fine to me ;D

They just have the patina everyone is looking for ;D

Seth
                                patina'd light bulbs?.....i dig it ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X