Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since we changed to larger valves, my machinist recommended checking the valve clearance. We started by installing the Cam and then the crankshaft.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 18, 2014, 02:18 PM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Next we installed a piston. The rods are a work of art. Looks like we are right on for zero deck.

Attached Files
      Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 18, 2014, 02:19 PM.
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• A few days ago I converted a couple of old lifters from Hydraulic to solid for testing purposes. It turns out if you take out the spring and flip the plunger around it works out perfectly.

Attached Files
        Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 18, 2014, 02:20 PM.
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Here is the result of the clay testing. I did not use a degree wheel for the cam (don't have one) and am planning on installing the cam straight up (no advance or retard). Based on the results, the same clearance of 0.3 inches on each side, I'd say I have it lined up dead center.

Attached Files
          Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 18, 2014, 02:20 PM.
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• We stopped here for the night. It's -12 out and the heater is having trouble keeping up. Hopefully we will get the long block assembled this week.
            Attached Files
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Hopefully you will paint the block!
              Even tho you will not have it out while the roads are salted....still need a couple coats... Especially since it is a ford
              Cannot imagine -12!!!!
              We got down to 5 or 8 a few weeks ago... I was not a happy camper....
              Was 22-24 overnight.. Working outside today still needed an old hot water tank cut into a burn barrel.. (smaller diameter, less smoke and wood when using, more heat.. ). Have a plate I cover the top with to slow it down.. And pour out heat.. Even the shop has a wood stove.. Mainly to keep moisture off tools.. We do warm up stuff by the barrel or stove before moving away from the heat to paint, then move it back close to cure..
              I'm sure you guys back in the retardedly cold areas have tricks to keep warmish...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Hopefully you will paint the block!
                Even tho you will not have it out while the roads are salted....still need a couple coats... Especially since it is a ford
                Cannot imagine -12!!!!
                -24 this morning. High today was -9. Tomorrow we might see 0.

I'm planning on painting it when it is all assembled so the paint is everywhere it is supposed to be and not where it isn't. Temps should hit 30 this weekend and we should be able to get the garage and the engine up to painting temp. The goal is to have it assembled and painted this Sunday. Wish us luck.
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                  -24 this morning. High today was -9. Tomorrow we might see 0.

I'm planning on painting it when it is all assembled so the paint is everywhere it is supposed to be and not where it isn't. Temps should hit 30 this weekend and we should be able to get the garage and the engine up to painting temp. The goal is to have it assembled and painted this Sunday. Wish us luck.

LUCK! ..seriously...-24.. My nads just zipped up next to my adam's apple...

Comment

• Should have run a higher lift cam! LOL

Seriously - you've got an acre of piston to valve clearance - do you have the stuff to CC the piston top and cylinder head combustion chamber so you can nail down your exact compression ratio? I bought a buret - only to have it smashed before I ever got a chance to use it... ooops. Garages are no place for fragile glass objects.

Zero took looks great - I'm envious - with your older heads - the compression should be up there.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I couldn't find a buret locally and as a substitute I got a horse-sized syringe from our vet. As long as you burp it before using it's plenty close - and CHEAP! Also unbreakable as mine is plastic (so don't use lacquer thinner in it).

Dan

Comment

• Thanks for the updates Chris. I went through Hudson today. Too cold to do much outside, same as MN.
                        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Should have run a higher lift cam! LOL

Seriously - you've got an acre of piston to valve clearance - do you have the stuff to CC the piston top and cylinder head combustion chamber so you can nail down your exact compression ratio? I bought a buret - only to have it smashed before I ever got a chance to use it... ooops. Garages are no place for fragile glass objects.

Zero took looks great - I'm envious - with your older heads - the compression should be up there.
                          I don’t have the stuff to check the CC’s accurately, but I’m fairly confident that I’ll have at least 9:1, which has been my goal all along. I just need to do a quick check on the installed valve train geometry and its full speed ahead.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          I couldn't find a buret locally and as a substitute I got a horse-sized syringe from our vet. As long as you burp it before using it's plenty close - and CHEAP! Also unbreakable as mine is plastic (so don't use lacquer thinner in it).
                          Dan
                          I’d do that if I had more time. Thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                          Thanks for the updates Chris. I went through Hudson today. Too cold to do much outside, same as MN.
                          Glad you are enjoying it! We are hoping to spend a good chunk of time out in the garage this weekend as it will finally get above 0.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• a regular heat wave! and they're calling for above freezing temps, then rain, then colder and snow.... JOY!

Stay safe and enjoy! I'm envious of your garage time and the fact that your wife is helping!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I get this great weather after Chris and before it's gets the Michigan crew, great winter so far :/
                              I'm enjoying this winter so much I just bought plane tickets for the family to escape to Florida a few days in March!

Looking forward to the assembly pics!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                                I get this great weather after Chris and before it's gets the Michigan crew, great winter so far :/
                                I'm enjoying this winter so much I just bought plane tickets for the family to escape to Florida a few days in March!

Looking forward to the assembly pics!
                                We are spending a week in the Keys in February. Been going on vacation since the kids were little. Just my wife and me. The "family vacation" is "work" and we've done that a few times with decent success.
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X