Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like I'd have the time to try it... LSx in a Caterra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Like I'd have the time to try it... LSx in a Caterra?

You're thinking the Vauxhaul/Lotus Carlton? I just saw a Fifth Gear segment on that creature, that looks promising...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
      Ok, it's not like I need any more projects. But I spied a somewhat ratty but allegedly running Cadillac Caterra for a mere $1,100 at a local used car lot. Now, I figure it needs a lot of work, and I don't have time for that now, but deals like this seem to pop up pretty often. And it seems the worst complaints about Caterras (however you spell it) seem to be fragile and underpowered drivetrains. It seems GM got things right in Europe and the Euro equivalent had LS1 power. How much work would it be to correct that mistake on a US market one?
      I built a LS1 powered Catera in 1999 to do development work on for another vehicle program. A friend of mine has one with a 427ci LS, and a friend of my son's has one with a stock LS1 in it. There are a few special components required to swap in a LS based engine, but it can be done.

Comment

What about LS4 (Monte/Imp SS 5.3)? Is there a size difference?
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
          What about LS4 (Monte/Imp SS 5.3)? Is there a size difference?
          Backwards intake, different accessory drive, Metric 60 bellhousing,different mounts, and a marginarlly shorter package. That's what I can think of different about an LS4 over the normal aluminum 5.3L.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

my brother loves his new IMPALA SS

Comment

Interesting. I had been hoping that it was something that would be more like a straightforward, "It bolts right in with the mounts from a GTO and a couple other things out of the parts bin" and this might be a good way to get a cheap fun cruiser. Looks like that's not exactly the case.

Comment

Its amazing that its still a worm and sector vs a rack and pinion. I think a LS1 would fit with a swap to a rack and pinion system.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                X