Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulic Clutch in 90 Chevy fullsize truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydraulic Clutch in 90 Chevy fullsize truck.

Originally posted by Tazracing
    how close is the exhaust to that line and slave?
    I "think" it isnt close. I was thinking it might be close, but it's hard to see. As soon as my yard dries out, I'm rolling the truck into my shop and taking a closer look. The truck is very low, and there is no way to see under it without jacking it up. Looking in from the top I cant see the slave cylinder or the line.
    Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon_H

Bleeding this system is a P.I.T.A. the line comes out of the bottom of the master cylinder, loops under the steering column, up over the back of the engine, down to the slave cylinder. And I'm doing it by myself, with a vacuum bleeder and without a vacuum bleeder.
      REVERSE bleed, i.e. inject fluid under pressure into the slave cyl fitting, with the master cap off. Took five minutes...end of problem.
      So..."no" on the e-z solution then?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren

Bleeding this system is a P.I.T.A. the line comes out of the bottom of the master cylinder, loops under the steering column, up over the back of the engine, down to the slave cylinder. And I'm doing it by myself, with a vacuum bleeder and without a vacuum bleeder.
        REVERSE bleed, i.e. inject fluid under pressure into the slave cyl fitting, with the master cap off. Took five minutes...end of problem.
        So..."no" on the e-z solution then?

Nope no easy solution. I looked into the reverse bleed method, havent tried it yet.
        Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

maybe this time retro-fit like what I did to my buick - I bought a wilwood master cylinder, and a hydraulic throwout bearing. Then it's all replaceable and rebuildable.... costs ~ 200 bucks for all the bits (100 throwout, 50ish master cylinder, 50 lines, misc. parts.)
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            all of the diesels I saw all had 400 or 4L80e , even the tahoes
            For some reason I'm thinking that 80's 6.2 diesels had TH700's behind them. Maybe on I'm crack though.

To the OP, a 1990 would have a 5LM60 from the factory, not an NV3500. They look alike externally, but are vastly different inside. The slave cylinders changed size in 1992 (standard to metric? I can't recall). 93 - up are NV3500 transmissions.

Comment

nv3500 and 4500 look like school bus trans - cast iron case/no flat spot on the bottom - 2500/3500
              and you never use first gear - granny low

Comment

I have an 1983 1/2 ton 4x4 6.2l diesel pickup with the 700r4 tranny in it. Problem is I plan on getting another camper and I know the 700 won't be long for this earth if I'm hauling a 2-4k pound camper in the back..... thus my hijack question...

Comment

Originally posted by daved931
                  Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  all of the diesels I saw all had 400 or 4L80e , even the tahoes
                  For some reason I'm thinking that 80's 6.2 diesels had TH700's behind them. Maybe on I'm crack though.

To the OP, a 1990 would have a 5LM60 from the factory, not an NV3500. They look alike externally, but are vastly different inside. The slave cylinders changed size in 1992 (standard to metric? I can't recall). 93 - up are NV3500 transmissions.

Very true however.................... This truck came from the factory with a manual trans. At some point it had an auto swapped in. The guy I bought the truck from swapped back to a 5 speed. This poor truck has had an interesting life, 2 previous repos and knowbody knows how many previous owners.

I have looked into a retro fit hydraulic system and Wilwood master cylinders. Right now I'm unemployed and flat broke, so $200.00 might as well be 2 million. I have to do something the clutch is all that keeps the truck from being reliable.
                  Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

if you have a u-pull it nearby - you might be able to scavage something together... look at older toyota cars and trucks, they have a hydraulic clutch pedal system that is components rather than one piece like you currently have..... IIRC, the corollas and camrys have a mongo long hydraulic hose to the clutch...

Comment

yep , I think we looked it up a while ago and they put early 700 in with early 6.2 ..I never saw one ... most of what i was stuck working on was 3.4 and one ton

Comment

Stupid question time. I'm trying to remember back to my auto shop classes, but is there any chance that installing any part of the mechanical side (pressure plate, disc) of the clutch the wrong way could be causing some of my problems. When I swapped engines, I put in a new clutch I'm sure it was installed correct, but there is a slim chance I could have made a mistake.
                        Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Stupid question time. I'm trying to remember back to my auto shop classes, but is there any chance that installing any part of the mechanical side (pressure plate, disc) of the clutch the wrong way could be causing some of my problems. When I swapped engines, I put in a new clutch I'm sure it was installed correct, but there is a slim chance I could have made a mistake.
                          You'd know it if you did - all of the clutches I've seen are too thick on the opposite side from the flywheel to allow the friction surfaces to mate.

Spidey - I've had a couple with the 700, the 85 diesel Suburban I owned a year or so ago also had a 700r4..... I suppose it's a tribute to their reliability if you haven't seen one in your shop

Comment

Working...
                          X