Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stereo question (reason I love my wife #2193)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo question (reason I love my wife #2193)

My wife has told me that I need to upgrade the stereo in the GTO (double din). I agree, the blaupunkt stereo is kind of a joke - it has a 10 on its volume but it distorts anywhere above about 4... So what to upgrade it with? how about touch-screen stereos? anyone know anything about them - what to look out for? I don't care about MP3 ability because it clips music so if I buy a decent system; it'll only amplify the problems with MP3s....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

you just need a higher sampling rate when you make your mp3 files....

If a radio don't have two shafts, I don't know how to work it!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	30164-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	857394 I knew there was a comment coming from Squirrel, I'm just surprised it wasn't this... I've had real good luck with Boston Accoustics stuff for speakers, which is usually the first thing I'll upgrade. You can probably stick an amplifier and speakers in it and make a lot of progress.

I kind of miss the two posts... until I remember pot cleaner and schwakcchhh sound that dirty volume potentiometers would pump through my system with much volume.
      Last edited by Beagle; September 2, 2011, 04:35 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The DNX6180 navigation receiver, part of Kenwood's 2011 navigation lineup, offers reliable guidance by Garmin and Bluetooth

Last edited by Stich496; September 2, 2011, 05:28 AM.

Comment

CRUTCHFIELD.

They can tell you what fits your vehicle and not only supply the plug and play wiring harnesses for stereo, amps, and speakers, but tell you what speakers fit without any modifications of door panels, package trays, etc.

I've been very happy with any POLK speaker I've gotten, and the last blaupunkt I got has served me well also - sounds like you have a mismatch between head unit and speakers - or - you need an amp / subwoofer to take care of the lows that your current speakers can't handle - or - the head unit built in amp just doesn't have the nuts to drive your speakers.

I've been using crutchfield for years - you can spend a ton of money - or not so much - but they've never steered me wrong, helpful folks on the tech line as well. I think they are having some good labor day sales too.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll bet an amp and better speakers will be all he needs.. but I put that out there..
            I use kenwood decks, boston acustic speakers (not their cheap line) and jl audio subs
            rockfordfosgate amps...
            and they last and last....
            Last edited by Stich496; September 2, 2011, 11:31 AM.

Comment

http://www.myclassiccar.com/advertis...stomautosound/ try this, its what I'll be using.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]4583[/ATTACH] I knew there was a comment coming from Squirrel, I'm just surprised it wasn't this... I've had real good luck with Boston Accoustics stuff for speakers, which is usually the first thing I'll upgrade. You can probably stick an amplifier and speakers in it and make a lot of progress.

I kind of miss the two posts... until I remember pot cleaner and schwakcchhh sound that dirty volume potentiometers would pump through my system with much volume.

I tried that.... her reply? "don't you need the supercharger first." (that's reason #2)

with this car it's a question of whether the stereo sucks worse than the speakers - too close to call IMO
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 2, 2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I am afraid to ask what #1 is!
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

sad thing is todays factory sound systems are better than some of the high end stereo stuff from 10-15 years ago. we as a group can throw out suggestion BUT we all dont have the same ears nor taste in music, me personally I listen to my music LOUD and I mean LOUD and I listen to all kinds of music, classic rock, techno, old school country, old school rap ect ect so I like sound quality and deep heavy bass

companys like Polk, Boston Acousitcs, MB Quartz make good speakers for mids and highs

what I would suggest would be to find quality stereo shops that sell good reputiable equipment, listen to what they have, look at thier past installs and see the kind of work they do, you dont want to have a install done and find out the installer used electrical tape and twisted the wires on the connections and it all came apart arching and catching on fire and having your vehicle burn down cause of carelessness
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

If a radio don't have two shafts, I don't know how to work it!
                      I'm with ya on that one........
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                        I am afraid to ask what #1 is!
                        she's a vegan

Comment

Working...
                        X