Hot weather tune up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot weather tune up?

Okay.....it's hot out, I've been to 5 races where the track temp has been to over 130...last weekend in Norwalk it was 151...WTF? we had to take a car that does .950's in the 60ft to 1.105....pretty sad.
    We had a big pow-wow, and we put more fuel in it, more weight on the clutch, way more timing, 5 lap tires, and we made it in on the last session...
    Everything that makes sence we did the oppisite, lol and the car hooked and went.
    Let's see what you guys are doing in this heat....
    (way more fuel in this heat.....?....it's nitro...it worked).......lol
    I want to see what you guys are doing that are out threre racing.
    Tire pressure......
    Fuel.....
    Timing...
    Last edited by A/Fuel; July 9, 2012, 10:02 PM.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

I'll tell you what we are dong and it will blow your mind....lol
    Originally posted by TC

Comment

On gas, I usually lean things out in the heat. I dont know jack about fuel. It would seem on a hot, slick track you'd think you'd want less clutch, or more slippage. Or, am I misunderstanding you?
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I typed out a long paragraph and it didn't show up....I've got about 2% of give a phuck left.
        You guys keep this going and I'll catch up with you later.
        I've got some nitro theroys that will blow your mind.
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
          Everything that makes sence we did the oppisite, lol and the car hooked and went.
          See I must be rubbing off on you....... Think outside the box!!!!!!!!...........

And what did you bump the timing up to??.........
          Last edited by TC; July 10, 2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

We add timing for the tune take fuel and try to catch the engine below or above peak TQ to give the tires a chance.

Grains of water up/ less air it requires more timing to burn it and have it end cumbustion at the same time.

With what your doing it would be hard to quantify what you did, did it make more power with the more fuel or less, or
            TQ because the cars you run and grunting it down track. I used to know Randy Meyer when he first started and was still driving a tow truck and running on blown alky he seems to have the A/Fuel car under control pretty well
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

High track heat with the drag radials we run requires careful attention to the amount of the burnout as the relationship of tire heat to track heat remains the same, but its easy to over do it and make the tire slippery.

Since humidity comes with a lot of Summer heat we're looking into adding inputs to the EFI tables to account for water grains to do what Jeff Jeff described. A couple weeks ago we saw huge changes in DA and humidity hour to hour at Bakersfield.

I know basically zero about A/fuel cars, the clutch adjustments, fuel requirements and tire theory other than what I read or hear at Brooks' shop when I'm there so I look foirwrad to reading what you guys are doing.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

My thoughts on the timing are, you guys move it around too far! the weather is going to have a lot less effect on the fuel you run versus gasoline most guys are used to here, there should be a narrow window of tuning and more or most of the time spent on clutch tuning to adjust how much power the track will handle. Moving timing around a bunch, and moving the fuel quantity around a bunch, is bad juju IMO. EVen on alcohol or nitro there is not going to be a 10 degree of timing difference between the best weather and the worst you'll see...

I had a good chat with a blown nitro engine builder and tuner just a few weeks ago at EMC and he said that's the number one problem guys with MFI nitro engines run into, they move the tuneup all over the place and it just adds more hassle to the rest of the program.

all my opinion of course,
                -Scott
                Last edited by dieselgeek; July 10, 2012, 07:30 PM.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I know a few months ago you said you bumped up the timing to I think 50. So just wondering if you went to the 70 degrees that I was talking about.......

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                    My thoughts on the timing are, you guys move it around too far! the weather is going to have a lot less effect on the fuel you run versus gasoline most guys are used to here, there should be a narrow window of tuning and more or most of the time spent on clutch tuning to adjust how much power the track will handle. Moving timing around a bunch, and moving the fuel quantity around a bunch, is bad juju IMO. EVen on alcohol or nitro there is not going to be a 10 degree of timing difference between the best weather and the worst you'll see...

I had a good chat with a blown nitro engine builder and tuner just a few weeks ago at EMC and he said that's the number one problem guys with MFI nitro engines run into, they move the tuneup all over the place and it just adds more hassle to the rest of the program.

all my opinion of course,
                    -Scott
                    I think you are spot on. I see a lot of that in every Class. If you throw something at it and it works, it should tell a guy just how far off he is to start with. LOG, LOG, LOG EVERYTHING! Seeing the Force guys should show you. Myself I would get to know Jimmy Prock Real Well, thats one Smart Kat on fuel engines.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      I know a few months ago you said you bumped up the timing to I think 50. So just wondering if you went to the 70 degrees that I was talking about.......
                      hell, why be a pussy? bump that bitch up to 100 and tell 'em TC tuned ya! ;-)
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

hell, why be a pussy? bump that bitch up to 100 and tell 'em TC tuned ya! ;-)
                        I'm just wondering how much "way more timing" is going to be, when the last time he said something about timing they were running 50 degrees......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                          I'm just wondering how much "way more timing" is going to be, when the last time he said something about timing they were running 50 degrees......

You said to run 70. so that means you have experience tuning A/Fuel engines in all that amazing past of yours too? ROFL

Comment

In a N/A gas engine, 3* would be a lot more....

Comment

You said to run 70. so that means you have experience tuning A/Fuel engines in all that amazing past of yours too? ROFL
                              Experience, no, did I talk to a guy, yes, did he advance the timing to 70 degrees, yes, did he go faster, yes........

But then what you said earlier is from a guy you talked to, so what's the difference??......... You don't have experience either........

Thing is N/A motors like more advance than Boosted motors, and since the guy I talked to was running a blower and 70 degrees of advance, I'm wondering if A/Fuel can even run more than that...........

You have to realize that Nitro carries it's own oxygen, so it's not like your really igniting an air/fuel mixture, it's more like your trying to light a constant stream of liquid...........And if you know anything about a liquid it takes time to burn........

Comment

Working...
                              X