Advice on buying a GM B Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying a GM B Body

I'm thinking about buying a 1977-1990 GM B Body and using it as a (more or less) daily driver. I just love the styling and recently read a very favorable piece on Curbside Classic:
    http://www.curbsideclassic.com/autom...ng-in-b-major/

Problem 1: I'm in Germany and these beasts are RARE here; never been sold officially here
    Problem 2: I don't know anything about them

So my question to the BangShift Hive Mind:
    What are the typical problem areas of these cars? Rust? Worn out chassis? Smogged motors?

Currently in focus: 1977 Caprice

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

where I live they don't rust, but where you live they do. You'd want to get it up on a lift and look it over very carefully.

That's a big car for Europe....how about an A or G body? Easier to park, easier on gas, etc. Not as nice of a car, though.

1977 was about the worst year for performance. By the mid 1980s they ran better. But you can make any of them work good if you want to make the effort. Are there any emissions laws you have to worry about? The emissions stuff back then was bad for performance.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

they are pretty rare here too because most of the country rusts out so bad. Man there was some bad metal being used when the emissions took over, guess they didnt think they needed good steel with bad performance. Even worse if you got the spray on tar rustproofing from the dealer that let the rust undercut that crap. Not much on the restoration front to replace sheet metal either. good luck.

Comment

77 was almost sane in emissions, they had small carbs.

pop the hood and its an engine sitting there comprehensible.
        76,77,78..then start paying attention closer after that year to everything, from rear quarters to chunks of frame.

77 should be friendly.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far. Through a colleague's friend I also found out about serious rust problems on the lower doors and (less seriously) on the rear fenders. I'll check out the car on Saturday, and see for myself. If anyone has things to add, I'd still be thankful! How about electrics?

Comment

frames rust where the lower control arms mount. if it is a Landau, it WILL rust under the top material. I absolutely loved mine though! good luck
            Charles

Comment

Thankfully, it is no Landau. Aside from hating the look, I would never consider buying one exaktly for the rust problem you mention...

Well, I'm going to take a look in the afternoon (probably), and will report back.

Comment

If you cant find one in Germany,there are thousands of them up here in Scandinavia.Mostly wagons.You can even find low mileage ones now and then.

Comment

Took a look at a 77 Caprice Coupe on Saturday. No vinyl roof, so no rust there. Both doors were rusted on the underside, an there was some rust around that freakish rear window. Apart from that, very very nice. Unfortunately, someone bought it right after I drove it. Very disappointing. So my search continues...

Comment

How about searching in Switzerland?..I heard they are having problems with old cars threr now..some rules thing,so they are selling cheap.

Comment

I had a 79. I like the grill and turn signals a little better. Love the rear window on my two door. Kind of like the one on the Monte Carlo aero coupe. These cars were 700 pounds lighter than the 1976 models. These cars real are about the size of the chevelle from 64-77. Yeah, on the bodies check the bottom of the doors. Going threw the kid raising years we had several 4 doors. 82 , 89,87,and a 84. Yeah great cars. That being said, unless you have three kids or are over 220 pounds, I would look for a 79-87 ish malibu. Perfect size,same basic styling....minus the cool back window.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Heres a 79 for sale around Gothenborg in Sweden..

Comment

Is that price in Euros?!
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Is that price in Euros?!
                            Its in swedish kroner..thats 1700euro,or 2216$

Comment

Heres a nice one in norway.

52000 norwegian kroner with those 20 inch wheels..7000euro

Comment

Working...
                              X