Installing Front Coil Spring Into A Bare Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Front Coil Spring Into A Bare Frame

I'm almost finished painting my S-10 frame.. After that the suspension needs to go back in to make it a roller. I've read several threads online about how to do this. What methods do you guys use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0983.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	879226

leave them out till you have the rest of it put together...

Or use a threaded rod, thru the center of the spring. This works if the shock goes thru the spring, like on a 55 chevy. use a big threaded rod, 5/8 or so, and big thick washers. be careful.

or use a spring compressor..
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

or, just set the spring onto the lower arm, with the frame raised and no weight on it, then lower the frame onto the spring.

Seen it done with a jack under the frame, and a smaller jack under the arm. Just be careful as the weight on the spring increases, and make sure its lined up the whole time... and keep your fingers clear!!

Helps to have quite a bit of weight on the frame... like an engine or body etc.. lol
      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

You can also use some large chains to wrap around the jack and the frame to keep things from coming apart while trying to get things bolted up.

cheers
        Ed
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Do it right get one of these...... Oh and a couple of your fattest friends.....

Last edited by TC; September 9, 2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

you could cut a coil (nice 1" drop) and it'll probably pop right in.

failing that. chain the frame to the axle of your jack - it eliminates the cost of pizza for fat friends.

to clarify that, the last time I did it, I started the assembly as normal - install lower arm, put spring in place, jacked up a bit to put it in tension - then I ran a chain through the middle of the coil (Corvette, so there's a space under the shock mount) and bolted both ends of the chain together around the axle of the jack.... then jacked away....

This warning is less for you and more to those who jump right in - please think when you're doing this, take your time, and if something is moving that shouldn't STOP. While it's unlikely that the spring could escape with the chain in the middle, there are lots of other potentials for death and dismemberment (maybe even both simultaneously) in using this method
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 10, 2012, 05:06 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              Do it right get one of these...... Oh and a couple of your fattest friends.....

use this concept, just flat plate on top and bottom. I hate these things, it takes longer to get the jaws out of the installed spring than it would have taken otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                use this concept, just flat plate on top and bottom. I hate these things, it takes longer to get the jaws out of the installed spring than it would have taken otherwise.
                I never had a problem with mine........ And I have used it many many many many times........
                Last edited by TC; September 12, 2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I'm with AI on this one - I have a mostly pristine one in my toolbox (other then the slight scratch from me flinging it across the shop).

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    I'm with AI on this one - I have a mostly pristine one in my toolbox (other then the slight scratch from me flinging it across the shop).
                    Likewise... Got a Snap-On one.... Stripped.... Got flung outdoors... Tool man is hemming and hawing on warranty... Between my son and I..good $200+ a month on tools (mostly him, the bachelor) so he better cover it so we have a purty one to store in the tool box... Spend so much time fiddling with them, it is so much faster and just as dangerous any other way.. I like using binders with chain to get it close... There is a way with a Hi-lift jack.. Haven't been desperate enuff to use it yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Likewise... Got a Snap-On one.... Stripped.... Got flung outdoors... Tool man is hemming and hawing on warranty... Between my son and I..good $200+ a month on tools (mostly him, the bachelor) so he better cover it so we have a purty one to store in the tool box... Spend so much time fiddling with them, it is so much faster and just as dangerous any other way.. I like using binders with chain to get it close... There is a way with a Hi-lift jack.. Haven't been desperate enuff to use it yet...
                      you'll note I never mentioned the hi-lift jack way? there's a reason, Tardis is a nice guy - hate to lose him to a hi-lift jack

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        you'll note I never mentioned the hi-lift jack way? there's a reason, Tardis is a nice guy - hate to lose him to a hi-lift jack
                        High-Lift Jack, no!!! Much too dangerous..

Comment

chicken!
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It involves bolting chain to the frame and the a-arm to the lifting arm.. Quite safe, I was told...BUT what little common sense I have says NOPE!

Comment

the first two sets of springs I installed were with a floor jack under the lower control arm and kicking the shit out of the spring while raising the jack. never had an easier time installing them, and I dont do the lowering route, I use big block A/C springs to get height. I would faster spend 30 bucks at mcmaster carr getting two plates and an acme threaded rod and nuts and just squeeze the frame and lower control arm together, which both compresses the spring and provides safety because an acme rod is not gonna let that spring escape.
                              Last edited by anotheridiot; September 13, 2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X