white Teflon seals on my SB and was thinking of changing
    over to the blue seals... I was wondering if they would be
    any better/worse than the white Teflon... I run the .343
    stems and .500 guides(where the seal mounts).. I had a
    intake leak on the bottom of the center ports that was sucking
    in oil so I cut the intake to hopefully correct that .. then I
    started thinking of the valve seals
    Thanks

Mike I've had trouble with the Teflon seals... on the street metal body Viton seals
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I guess no one uses valve seals except myself and Dale

Comment

Im using whatever shady dell put on there.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I am using Teflon in the intake and metal body Viton on the exhaust. In years past I used teflon on both but the Ex guides were getting worn so I changed to the Viton last year and so far things are looking good.

Comment

I have used both with no issue.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
              I guess no one uses valve seals except myself and Dale
              I guess I'll confess. Built it up last year and I have forgotten, but I think I have the white teflon. 5000+ miles, no engine issues. (but the th400 has made up for that)
              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

The white Teflon seals are not very flexible and are rather abrasive to stainless steel valves. They crack earlier than the viton seals but that's with ss valves. On the good side your guides got lubed well.
                Dave
                69 Mustang ProStreet
                70 Torino

Comment

Originally posted by Dave D View Post
                  The white Teflon seals are not very flexible and are rather abrasive to stainless steel valves. They crack earlier than the viton seals but that's with ss valves. On the good side your guides got lubed well.
                  Today I decided to pull that engine out and put in another I have... oil
                  pressure was too low for my liking... no big deal.. I'll pull it out tomorrow
                  or Tuesdays... I have to pull the other engine out of my race car but I
                  want to do a cranking pressure before I do... that engines been a good
                  engine for years but I forgot some of the info on it and I cant seem to find
                  my build sheet when I built it up... hopefully I dont need a set of pistons
                  to lower compression
                  Last edited by MR P-BODY; June 30, 2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

All we've used for years around here.. I haven't used a Teflon seal in many years.

Last edited by TheEngineWorks.com; July 2, 2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineWorks.com View Post
                      All we've used for years around here.. I haven't used a Teflon seal in many years.

Any special tools or process for installing those... I've never run those
                      but I plan on new seals on my W-2 engine before it goes in.. also can
                      I get them in all the normal sizes

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                        Any special tools or process for installing those... I've never run those
                        but I plan on new seals on my W-2 engine before it goes in.. also can
                        I get them in all the normal sizes
                        You can get them in any size you need, and no special tools needed to install them, just have to check, some combos have a hard time clearing the spring with the bigger body on the viton/metal seals.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineWorks.com View Post
                          You can get them in any size you need, and no special tools needed to install them, just have to check, some combos have a hard time clearing the spring with the bigger body on the viton/metal seals.
                          I've been told the blue seal you show is better for the street... I'm gonna
                          look into them tomorrow... I need to pull the valve springs tomorrow to see
                          what guide diameter I have.. pretty sure its .500.. but could be .530
                          Last edited by MR P-BODY; July 2, 2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

You should use a plastic "rubber" ( like a Cigarette wrapper almost) over the valve as you install it to keep from damaging the edge as it goes thru it
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                              You should use a plastic "rubber" ( like a Cigarette wrapper almost) over the valve as you install it to keep from damaging the edge as it goes thru it
                              Thats what I was wondering, if the sleeve was needed during the install

Comment

Working...
                              X